Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is your gateway prog song?

The "In the Cage (Medley) + Afterglow" segment from Genesis's Three Sides Live. Heard it in 10th grade. Cracked the sky of possibility wide open for me. To this day, that is my all time favorite Genesis performance.

I would say it's a toss: The Wake - IQ and Grendel - Marillion
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

since so many people have ignored the "new era" criteria in the OP and are listing 60s and 70s stuff...

I'm pretty sure that the "Prog song" Money (1973) was one of my first favs about the time just before I started listening to albums as a whole.

The first Prog *album* that blew me away was Stanley Clarke's s/t "brown album" (1974) with Jan Hammer, Tony Williams and Bill Connors

After that, I got into all styles of progressive Rock music from the Space Rock of Pink Floyd to the Symphonic Rock of Crimso to the Afro Prog of Mandrill
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Ocora? A piece of recorded history. Great, great label!
    Mostly: Le Chant du Monde (founded 1938)
    https://www.discogs.com/label/34548-Le-Chant-Du-Monde

My first favorite song was Band in the Run and I would argue for a 12 year old when it came out, this was prog to me. Shortly thereafter I heard Aqualung and 2112 and was hooked

For the "new era" I'd have to say it was Spock's Beard for sure. I picked up Day For Night & Kindness of Strangers at the same time. Instantly knew that this is what I had been searching for for many years. Don't know exactly which song grabbed me the most but Gibberish really had an impact. Bought Beware of Darkness & The Light shortly afterwards, THEN I started in with The Flower Kings. Also started listening to other bands like IQ, Salem Hill, Arena, Pallas, The Watch & many others... I was totally hooked & couldn't get enough.
    Unfortunately these days music doesn't seem to have that same type of impact on me. Can't really explain it either. I'm just not that impressed as much. Maybe I'm too picky now? Or maybe there's too much "been there, done that"? Not sure. Sad really.

^ It's the latter, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ It's the latter, trust me.
    Agreed.

For the new era, "Judas Unrepentant" by Big Big Train. Until then, I was pretty much oblivious to anything that wasn't 70s prog.

In the early '70s it was "Roundabout" by Yes (after that it was on to KC, ELP, Genesis, etc.). And in the 2000's it was The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium.

In my preteens in the early 70s it had to be anything from later Beatles albums, Alice Cooper's "Halo of Flies" (very big among 12 year-olds in 1972) and Tull's "Aqualung".
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I knew very little progressive rock (or prog, if you will) as a youth/adolescent. I knew and loved some of the fringe-dwelling metal bands of the 80s (Maiden, Queensryche, etc.), as well as any Rush or Moody Blues that managed to make it onto the airwaves and/or MTV. When I started hearing some of the bands my old man was playing around the turn of the century/millennium, my interest was piqued. My first three purchases that helped to lay the groundwork for the next decade and a half of my life (iirc) were: DT's Images and Words, PF's A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and Best of King's X. I've opened my mind and heart to many things on the less melodic side of rock and metal since then.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold