Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klaus Schulze's Mirage at 40

Playing Mirage now!

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    For me X is his most ambitious and "advanced" album of the 70's
    Hi Udi - could you say a bit more about why you think this?

Solo Schulze is quite a recent discovery for me - my own early responses are that the lp's from the early/mid-70s are more experimental, less constrained by norms of rhythm, melody, etc, more experimental in their use of instrumental resources - whereas much of X is moving more into a musical space more akin to that occupied by Jarre; & whilst X is certainly more challenging & interesting than, say, Equinoxe (a record of which I'm fond, as it happens), nevertheless, to my ears, it's more "mainstream" than what strikes me as being the more exploratory earlier work.

If I may put it this way - X sounds to me, in comparison with Timewind or Mirage, like Future Days sounds in relation to Tago Mago!!

Btw - I think Friedemann Bach, for instance, to a certain extent undermines these characterisations - I think it is stunning, & utterly successful in its integration of loops of orchestral strings into the composition of a unique sonic realm - an absolutely wonderful achievement.
    Last edited by per anporth; 05-01-2017 at 02:30 PM.

I love Mirage but am quite dissappointed with the remaster on Revisted label with the alternate mix of Velvet Voyage. So what is the best sounding cd version of the original album?