Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: PE's Continued Appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Twitter is my Methadone to Facebook's Heroin now.

Interesting discussions about music (and related subjects - like beer and whisky )
    Interesting suggestions
    Knowledgable people
    Fun
    Sometimes harsh, but as long as its intelligent, playing the ball not the man, its quite ok.

Where else on the net can I find that?

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    So tell me, what keeps you coming back in this day and age when FB has plenty of music discussions?

I like to keep some sort of daily connection to music discussions. I like keeping up with information about new music being released. This forum serves that purpose with a much greater signal-to-noise ratio than Facebook does. I probably come here more in the last couple of months since I quit FB. I need somewhere to go to get my fix of this subject matter.

FB had become an addiction for me. It's not blocked here at work and I could easily check it multiple times per day, not to mention that I could constantly check it on my smartphone. It just became habit and I'd find myself checking it mindlessly for no particular reason. Since a lot of the discussions I was involved with were political, FB became my "2 minutes of hate"...which added up to much more than 2 minutes a day. I had to rip out the intravenous drip.

Somehow FB feels more public. In reality this forum is probably more accessible to the general public, but one probably thinks twice about expressing a negative opinion on a band's FB page. Here, while it's certainly possible artist X could come here and read your comment and be insulted, there's a little more sense of freedom. It's all smoke and mirrors though.

Is it the long form format here where people can go into a lot of detail with longer posts?

I don't think there's really a substantial limitation on FB that inherently weeds out "long form" posts. At least, I've written some pretty long FB posts and never run into the limit if there is one.

Or something else or in addition to that?

Knowledgeable people, a focus on mainly just music and not a lot else.

How do you think the tone is around here all these years later?

All it takes are a few super negative posts or extremist expressions of dislike for someone's favorite artist and it can be a bit off-putting for some. It was for me many years ago, but I've gained a lot of perspective since those days. Not everyone can separate themselves from their favorite music/artists and they take over-the-top comments personally. The negativity will be noticed and remembered far more easily than the positive, so it only takes a few negatives to taint someone's view (if they are determined to remain sensitive about their favorite music). So I don't know if things are better here or if it's just me writing you all off as a bunch of jerks whose opinions are no more valuable than my own, lol. (I kid, I kid.)

What would you tell our detractors that write us off as a place with a toxic atmosphere? As you know, for some no forum is kind enough, yet I think we try to keep the tone above the belt here. Still we do have a rep outside these walls and it's not all positive.

I would tell them what I said above. Life sucks, wear a helmet. I'd rather have some honest opinions (fleshed out with a least some small amount of detail besides "crap!" or "sucks!") than have a place that is scrubbed clean of dissenting opinions.
    <sig out of order>

I'm a recent Facebook convert and I spend more time there than here, but I keep coming back here because the thread format allows for more concise discussions on topics. On Facebook there's a lot bigger noise to information ratio going on. Everybody speaks at the same time and most people do not read/watch the links posted by others because they are too busy posting their own. I barely read any music threads here anymore because my music tastes have shifted pretty far from the mainstream here (as I am reminded of whenever I post a new band here and watch the thread sink). However, I do enjoy the WAY OT topics here because people seem more focused in on the subject matter than the responses (or lack thereof) you get on Facebook.

In a nutshell, PE still provides me with enough interesting discussions to keep me returning.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Gorillclub View Post
    sorry , but what is Facebook ?
    Please stop stealing Jed's material.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    In a nutshell, PE still provides me with enough interesting discussions to keep me returning.
    That's pretty much where I'm at. Not to mention although most of the folks I've met here aren't around much anymore, there are plenty of people I have sorta gotten to know virtually over the years and consider friends. I mostly pop in on OT or Way OT topics for that reason. Mostly I'm on FB as that's where my closest friends and family are. Easier for me to share there as well despite it's often annoying soapbox.

As far as 'toxic atmosphere' I can't figure that one out. If anyone thinks this place has a toxic atmosphere, all I can say is "holy crap, do you need a hug?" I mean cmon, this place is like Romper Room compared to the volitility of mesage boards/social media joints out there in the onlineiverse. Grow a pair for Gods sake. Call me what you will, but I like the bad apples around...makes for some harmless fun. Gets boring otherwise with the same ol same ol.

Ultimately I have been introduced to some tremendous music over the years through PE and I think the guys running it do a terrific job (though I do miss the PM feature ) and I'm hugely greatful for it.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I hate Facebook. I shut down my account there a while back; it just got too stupid, and the signal/noise ratio is ugly.
    I've been part of this crowd since alt.music.progressive days. Familiarity is a nice thing.
    This site tends to stick to the point (music discussion) most of the time, and that's what I wish to talk about. We can go into more detail than elsewhere.
    I think that, compared to a lot of the stuff on the 'net, this site is overwhelmingly positive; not gushing adoring fans - but civil discourse.
    I've learned about SO many prog acts I had no idea existed, for which I'm very grateful.
    PE detractors are jealous idiots. This place is great. Yeah, we have our share of goofballs, but so does everywhere else, and I'm one of 'em...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    So tell me, what keeps you coming back in this day and age when FB has plenty of music discussions?

Is it the long form format here where people can go into a lot of detail with longer posts?

What would you tell our detractors that write us off as a place with a toxic atmosphere? As you know, for some no forum is kind enough, yet I think we try to keep the tone above the belt here. Still we do have a rep outside these walls and it's not all positive because we have always allowed all opinions on artists to be shared. No matter how well articulated a lot of folks just don't like to read negative things about their "heroes". Do they?

I occasionally run into a batch of former members, all grouped together, discussing what an awful place we are/were and I wonder.... Were they even reading the same site? Or am I just so close I'm oblivious? (I don't think so)

What's the positivity VS negativity ratio around here anyway and has it changed much over the years?
    PE is fine, both as an artist trying to reach a target audience and (mostly) as a fan wanting to chat with like-minded folks. I have no issues with FB either but the focus of the content is different/wider, as my FB friends are not all associated with progressive rock.

I've sometimes chatted at a fest with someone who turns out to be an ex-member and they will sometimes share the reasons why. Without sharing specific reasons why (and also acknowledging that I only heard one side of the story), I'm sure their reasons were valid for them at the time. It's not going to be for everyone. Even in 2017 there are still folks who struggle with the very different dynamics (and therefore different sorts of tolerance/thickness of skin) that online forums like PE require. Depending on the person I may share my overall good experience; sometimes they are agreeable to giving it another go.

Positive/negative is overall a good ratio. Signal to noise IMHO is still good but not great; I personally get very weary of "binge" topics like a dozen Yes threads that really don't merit that many distinct conversations. On the flip side: hey, I just don't open them. Ditto for certain folks who are a bit "broken record" in their contributions; I wish there was less but then I can't believe PE is anywhere better/worse than any other site with amateur comedians, artist with paper-thin skins and different degrees of trolls.

I do think the ratio of genuine content vs. pure spam is outstanding; the rare bot that gets through usually is purged within less than 12 hours. Definite kudos for that.

I've met folks here whom I've subsequently gotten to know in real life, and that's very cool.

Anyway, it's a fun place and I continue to enjoy popping in on a daily basis to see how life in Chez PE is going.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I was active in rec.music.progressive in the 1990s. I fell off the radar for a few years and then found PE about ten years ago. Decent civil discourse for the most part, thanks to good moderation over the years, decent and knowledgeable folks. I don't mind too many Yes threads, or threads going down the crapper from time to time. Good balance of seriousness and silliness.

Just nice to have a place where there are people who have the same interests as me. Otherwise I have not really had "prog friends" since college.

Greetings all! While I do have an account here and have been lurking for many years, I do not post(I think this is my first actually). But I do check this forum every day. I think it is an excellent source of information about a huge variety of music and artists. I have learned much here over the years. I continue to come here because the community is over all very respectful and knowledgeable, yet honest and straight forward in there critiques and the discussions continue to be informative. Thanks!

Aengus

I could have sworn I replied to this thread...but I can't find it. Anyway...

I registered initially quite a bit ago. When I first came on board, it was so overwhelming. I knew (know) so little about prog by comparison to many here, so I felt I had nothing to contribute. My knowledge of Prog was pretty "mainstream" (Yes, Rush, Kansas, Dream Theater, etc).

However, even though I am far from the scholar many of you are, I have expanded my horizons a bit and came back. I was thrilled to see my user name was still in the database.

Well definitely a part of it has been the fact that I have actually conversed with some of the artists I listen to & even gotten to know a couple personally thru this forum.
    Plus, we don't have many proggers in my neck of the woods so I gotta get my fix somewhere. Been drinkin' the PE kool aid for about 12 years now... something like that.

I got into the habit of keeping a tab open in Chrome for everything I check on. There's only a handful of tabs I keep constant: my email account, PE, and Metafilter. I use Facebook a lot but sometimes it's just too insane, especially with the political climate in the US. I like Sean's efforts to start musical discussions on Facebook but it's not the same.

I spend some time on the Hoffman forum because man does not live on prog alone. But that place has a couple problems. The moderation is too severe. Hoffman is a fucking control freak. And the musical tastes of some of the members is um, lacking. No, I do not ever want to see a thread defending the virtues of dance pop or Olivia Newton John. And then there's the bickering about the minutiae of obscure releases. Sigh. But the Stones threads are pretty good.

That's part of it. There's only so much one can post on a Facebook thread before it tosses the bulk into "see more" land.

Talking to folks who are smarter than me about music. Thread derails that evolve into something interesting. The sense of community. I never met Ken Walsh or the diametrically opposed Thomas Arena but damn, their deaths made the world a smaller, dimmer place. And I love the little OT conversations about actresses only baby boomers would find hot, getting old, bitching about movies, etc.

Great. In a lot of ways there's even less bickering (other than Yes threads but those will always be as dysfunctional as the band). My only peeve is the guys that will hop into a thread on a band just to say, "always hated these guys, never got it". Really, that's all you have to contribute? I hate the Doors and the Beach Boys with the heat of a thousand suns but I would never dream of jumping to throw shit like a monkey.

What would you tell our detractors that write us off as a place with a toxic atmosphere? As you know, for some no forum is kind enough, yet I think we try to keep the tone above the belt here. Still we do have a rep outside these walls and it's not all positive.

I would say they're wrong. If you're thin-skinned and you're an artist, you need to go somewhere, anywhere, where folks are not talking about your stuff. I've seen some authors who melt down about reviews on Goodreads and Amazon so it's not just music where this happens.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There was a time where there was a bit of snobbishness in the early years. But there were enough threads about the mainstream prog groups and classic rock bands in general to keep me interested. The Tomfoolery can be fun at times too. The sports threads are good too. There's something for everyone.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Because HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINO!!!!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Because HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINO!!!!

HELL YEAH! It's just over a month away! Time for me to put up my decorations!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Two things make me come back here:
    - The diversity of styles discussed here ( reaching far beyond 'prog')
    - Conversations stay amazingly civil so credits to the moderators.

To improve PE, for the love of God please ban yamishogun!

As long as it is not conclusively clarified what the universal and accepted by all definition of prog is, Im not planning to leave the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    We will hit 20 in a couple years and it amazes/pleases me to see us still at it all these years later.

Anything that lasts a couple decades on the 'net is no flash in the pan.

What would you tell our detractors that write us off as a place with a toxic atmosphere? As you know, for some no forum is kind enough, yet I think we try to keep the tone above the belt here. Still we do have a rep outside these walls and it's not all positive because we have always allowed all opinions on artists to be shared. No matter how well articulated a lot of folks just don't like to read negative things about their "heroes". Do they?

I occasionally run into a batch of former members, all grouped together, discussing what an awful place we are/were and I wonder.... Were they even reading the same site? Or am I just so close I'm oblivious? (I don't think so)

What's the positivity VS negativity ratio around here anyway and has it changed much over the years?

Curious your thoughts on this...
    For me, the Progressive Ears site is the best place to discuss the music & the musicians of Progressive Rock. I use it to find about new releases (or reissues) & concert appearances from my favorite Prog artists. Unlike some websites, I think the tone of most of the posts are positive and I learn something new each time I read them. Thanks to the folks that run the site and keep up the good work.

For me it's 3 things:
    - it's the only place I'm sure someone will post the latest info on all my favorite prog bands within 24 hours, so it's the best way to stay informed on one single site.
    - the problem with FB discussions is that you have to react instantly or miss the discussion altogether. The forum format allows for more in-depth and prolonged discussions that can last for days, and the "quote" function allows you to reply to or question specific points. I don't think FB allows similar discussions, it's more about instant reactions to something or other.
    - PE has so many knowledgable people you're sure to find answers to any crazy question about Prog you might have.

Long live PE!!!
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

One reason and one reason only........

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I get a pretty good chuckle here a few times a week too.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I noticed my post count seems pretty meager, considering visit the board almost every day. There is usually 3-5 threads I have an active interest in at any given time. When time allows I'll branch out, but there isn't much time at the moment. I'm in a maximum-career-time phase with a long commute. Thanks to the more frequent posters that are carrying things forward.

You all are still turning me on to new music, stuff I genuinely love. If I have an earnest question, most here proffer an earnest answer. I don't find the goofs toxic. I feel, at the moment I post this, trolls are at an ebb. So it's particularly nice at the moment.

For my part, when I post, I attempt to be either insightful, humorous, or positive. Yes, sarcasm gets the better of me, on occasion, but I hope I never have gotten truly malicious on y'all.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Every morning I come on board, I feel like i have something to share - and then I read all the new posts and realise, that even after 40 years of listening to prog, you guys are far more knowledgeable than I can ever to catch up to.

I feel like a sapling among redwoods

And you're all pretty damn nice about it too - there's only been one occasion where I got into a heated debate, because I inadvertently crossed the line and started a political topic, and even then, after my opponent and I agreed to shake on it, you guys then thanked us for sharing the opposing views around the argument.

And you've had some nice namechecks from the Progressive Magazine Readers page on Facebook, so you must be doing something right