Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: PE's Continued Appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, they were a reference to me...

And them reviews, if possible , too.
    I may have all the reviews
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Some amazingly knowledgeable and open-minded folks here, and then some goofballs like me. This place opened my world to both Bob Drake and Cardiacs (amongst a ton of others), so I will be forever grateful. Made some great pals and mates here, hung with some and had a blast. Cheers Sean, Duncan, and co.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've seen much more vitriolic discussion on FB than I've ever seen here, often music related. And I don't like that, say, on a Marillion FB group you might have several thousand members so there are lots of people posting who are completely unknown quantities. I like that this is a group largely vetted through regular interaction. It takes a village I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I'm just here for the women.
    best comment yet

negative: same 28 people respond to every fucking thread. Im waiting for Mr Scissors.

I come back because every now and again I discover something interesting. The last thing was the Band Geeks covering Yes post. I do not know who they are, nor do I understand their raison d'etre, but I liked them. I post less now and rarely start a thread (although I've killed a few by posting in them), mainly because of the aforementioned 'glacial' atmosphere.

I do post in one Facebook music discussion, but I am not really an FB person. They found me, but if I could find others, I might join them.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I could probably echo Kavus on much of what he says - typically, only a few threads are of interest to me, but they're of a lot of interest.

It's also interesting how many people aren't on Facebook. (I'm not, either.) I wonder why.

In my case, things like Facebook "friends" and "unfriending" just rubbed me the wrong way. Also, and apparently almost from the beginning, FB became a haven for bigots, misogynists, and all-around nasty people to spew their viciousness without retribution. On Facebook, people like that can be formally ignored - "unfriended" - but they only seem to get kicked off if they murder someone. And I think their presence has a deleterious effect on the atmosphere of the place.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 04-25-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    As opposed to the haven for bigots, misandrists and all-around nasty people who are now known as "the alt-left" (I hope this doesn't offend any liberals here) to spew their viciousness without retribution.

I was just diving into Prog when I first joined and felt completely overwhelmed and like I could not contribute. But I came back, and am loving it. I like the vibe and seeing people talk about something other than hair bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    As opposed to the haven for bigots, misandrists and all-around nasty people who are now known as "the alt-left" (I hope this doesn't offend any liberals here) to spew their viciousness without retribution.
    I've never heard of the "Alt-Left."...I must not be watching the right cable news channel.

More Music More Music More Music

sums it up quite well.
    The curators here can be very knowledgeable and generous with their opinions.
    It is up to me to use that as I see fit.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've never heard of the "Alt-Left."...I must not be watching the right cable news channel.
    It's probably a new phrase for the "safe-space"/"trigger-warning" soreheads, of the sort found on some college campuses. They've been around for quite a while. But I hadn't heard of it either.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    The reason I still come here is the shared opinions of the music, good and bad. Another reason is because, like music being a constant in our lives, this place has become our "Cheers" of the internet. The community here has grown older together and shared many good stories. Been around for 16 years and have no plans on leaving!

Mike

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    We will hit 20 in a couple years and it amazes/pleases me to see us still at it all these years later.

Anything that lasts a couple decades on the 'net is no flash in the pan.

So tell me, what keeps you coming back in this day and age when FB has plenty of music discussions?
    I don't do, and have never done, facebook. I am not ready to have my personal information sold to advertisers, just so I can talk to my friends, all of whom I can contact off facebook. I'm not saying facebook is all bad; it's just not what I need at this time. Perhaps one day there will be something similar, but with less of a pimplike atmosphere.

I like it here because I'm not inundated with ads, and I can choose for myself which threads appeal to me and contribute to those. I commend you on making it that way.

Is it the long form format here where people can go into a lot of detail with longer posts?

Or something else or in addition to that?
    I like a long form format, but have little to compare it to. If I try to comment to an article online, I am usually not allowed to because I don't belong to facebook or twitter or something more obscure (I'm not much of a joiner, and I wasn't born to follow). Plus, I'm not usually that wordy. So the format here is fine.

How do you think the tone is around here all these years later?

What would you tell our detractors that write us off as a place with a toxic atmosphere? As you know, for some no forum is kind enough, yet I think we try to keep the tone above the belt here. Still we do have a rep outside these walls and it's not all positive because we have always allowed all opinions on artists to be shared. No matter how well articulated a lot of folks just don't like to read negative things about their "heroes". Do they?
    I think you (and the other mods) do your best to allow freedom of expression, while eventually ousting the people who refuse to play nice, after a few warnings. I believe that here, as well as irl, most people are good. I really don't have a problem if someone dislikes an artist I like. It wouldn't be much of a forum if we all shared the same opinion and just spent our time patting ourselves on the back. That's what television awards shows are for. I can take differences of opinion, but I draw the line at personal attacks on PE members.

I occasionally run into a batch of former members, all grouped together, discussing what an awful place we are/were and I wonder.... Were they even reading the same site? Or am I just so close I'm oblivious? (I don't think so)
    I have not had that experience.

What's the positivity VS negativity ratio around here anyway and has it changed much over the years?

Curious your thoughts on this...
    I didn't make a note of when I first joined PE. Have I been here long? It seems like longer. I don't notice a lot of change in the positivity/negativity ratio, but then again, I only remember bits and pieces of yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu
    It's fairly simple. If the Alt-Right are mainstream Republicans (and they seem to be, at least in public office), then the Alt-Left must be mainstream Democrats, a.k.a. Centrists sucking the same corporate teat as the Republicans. There is no real Left in this country, and only a certain cable news channel would try to instill fear that there was. All things must pass.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

It's fairly simple. If the Alt-Right are mainstream Republicans (and they seem to be, at least in public office), then the Alt-Left must be mainstream Democrats, a.k.a. Centrists sucking the same corporate teat as the Republicans. There is no real Left in this country, and only a certain cable news channel would try to instill fear that there was. All things must pass.
    My last on the subject: I wouldn't categorize the Alt-Right as mainstream Republicans. They're like ALTernative in the early-mid 80s. They're hoping to become ALTernative in the early mid-90s.

Neither of which have anything to do with this thread, btw.

Yeah, we're gettin' a bit wobbly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    We will hit 20 in a couple years and it amazes/pleases me to see us still at it all these years later.

Anything that lasts a couple decades on the 'net is no flash in the pan.

So tell me, what keeps you coming back in this day and age when FB has plenty of music discussions?

Is it the long form format here where people can go into a lot of detail with longer posts?

Or something else or in addition to that?

What would you tell our detractors that write us off as a place with a toxic atmosphere? As you know, for some no forum is kind enough, yet I think we try to keep the tone above the belt here. Still we do have a rep outside these walls and it's not all positive because we have always allowed all opinions on artists to be shared. No matter how well articulated a lot of folks just don't like to read negative things about their "heroes". Do they?

I occasionally run into a batch of former members, all grouped together, discussing what an awful place we are/were and I wonder.... Were they even reading the same site? Or am I just so close I'm oblivious? (I don't think so)

What's the positivity VS negativity ratio around here anyway and has it changed much over the years?

Curious your thoughts on this...
    So let me give my take on the OP...

I'm not on Facebook. I expect it would swallow a huge chunk of time, with much of it wasted on unproductive debate. No thanks.

About right. I think the longevity is testament to that. The proof, they say, is in the pudding.

I wouldn't be the one to send as emissary to the Home-On-The-Rangers. This isn't a Hockey game. All we have here is open discourse. I wouldn't be in favor of heavy censorship where only one point of view is allowed to be expressed, self-imposed or otherwise. I always have to ask "how do these people make it in the real world? Life must crush them and grind them to dust."

I think that probably depends on the poster and the subject, and will vary greatly. We're dealing with human beings, not cardboard cut-outs, so I would say that's as it should be. Has it changed? Well, some of the old war horses don't beat the drum as loudly for their favorite causes, but I think that's just maturity (as relates to discussion forums) and a sense of comaraderie that comes with years of interaction.

I think you have a good thing going here, Sean. It's not going to be for everyone, and it helps to have a broader knowledge of the subject matter, but that's one of PE's strengths.

So many YESthreads to choose from, yet other bands are discussed here too.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

As far as the tone of this forum goes, I enjoy participating in, and watching a good train wreck - now and then.

When heads collide its often just because someone is having a bad day.

Then again, Some people just are a bad day. I leave it to the mods to sort them out.

I think what is sometimes perceived as negativity is in fact unvarnished honesty. What I enjoy about PE is that it's an adult point of view. Some thin-skinned folks just want happy talk. That gets boring. I vehemently disagree with some views expressed here, and I genuinely love that. Our differences not only define us, I believe they inspire us. Many folks pick up the gauntlet & passionately go deep in explaining their views. We all can only benefit from this. Plus, you make a nice sandwich.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Good information, discussion, opinions about music. Also all the news about new releases. And then finally the discovery of some musical gems, like e.g. I would never have heard of Robert Reed without this forum (whose Sanctuary II I enjoy massively at the moment). And my newly discovered fondness for Anthony Phillips music. Etc.

Regarding Facebook...
    I left just after September last year, having realised it had become an addiction. I didn't like the narcissistic behaviour I felt it had encouraged in me, farming for 'likes' and feeling a need to tell people what I had been up to, a need that was completely Facebook-created. It wasn't something I had felt before that.
    There were a few fantastic things about it, reconnecting with old friends, having a platform to publicise all sides of my work, from different bands touring, releases, DJ-ing and the posting of reviews and sharing music I was listening to but, ultimately, the bad outweighed the good and I found it was creating a sort of mental noise and psychic dissonance that was taking up too large a portion in my brain.
    Twitter is my Methadone to Facebook's Heroin now.

Progressive Ears, though, it's a whole different thing. Sometimes a couple of comments might frustrate me here and there but it's a far more benign experience. I have made some friends on here and it's nice to run into them at gigs around the world but it feels much less intrusive, somehow. I'm here to talk about music. That's it.
    Which is great because reading about and discussing music is my favourite thing!

Quote Originally Posted by the illusionist View Post
    I can't say it any better than that!
    But you don't post nearly as much as Bozo (just kidding, Mozo), so we don't believe you

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The bad reputation is something I've seen mentioned here quite a bit but I remain oblivious to it somehow. It's of no importance to me, as there are more than enough people here anyway, to be honest. Some people just aren't cut out for socializing, whether in person or behind a computer keyboard. Screw 'em.
    Well, it's more about the thickness of your skin and not let those nasty troll-skeeters get under your skin, really

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    It's also interesting how many people aren't on Facebook. (I'm not, either.) I wonder why.

In my case, things like Facebook "friends" and "unfriending" just rubbed me the wrong way. Also, and apparently almost from the beginning, FB became a haven for bigots, misogynists, and all-around nasty people to spew their viciousness without retribution. On Facebook, people like that can be formally ignored - "unfriended" - but they only seem to get kicked off if they murder someone. And I think their presence has a deleterious effect on the atmosphere of the place.
    Well I find it comforting that there are plenty of non-fbers around this place... Sort of adds to this community-feel that this place manages to build-up... Never really felt that in others sites.

As for the friending in fb, I find that absolutely dreadful and very vain... For ex, I friended the admins over here, only for sucking-up purposes

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Neither of which have anything to do with this thread, btw.
    Another good reason why I'm here almost every day...

I'd love to tell off daily most of them religious biggots right-wingers hanging over here (NOT, of course) , but I'm actually glad I don't have the right to... keeps the place civil

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Plus, you make a nice sandwich.
    However, the coffee tastes like McDonald's

Glad the Scotch thread has been revived, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don't do anything on Facebook. Met a few people here in real life and I like it here, though I may be less active.

sorry , but what is Facebook ?