Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Tell me more about Camel

Trust me, it was quite an experience. Next one will be Dust and Dreams. Camel music is just fantastic to listen to in the dark..

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    To me Breathless is another one of those "comfort prog" albums Camel seemed endlessly capable of knocking out.
    Yes, definitely!
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Next one will be Dust and Dreams.
    ...well

I am 64 and my wife tells me this all the time.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I've been getting way more into the early shit recently. I bought the first four remastered cds simultaneously at NF one year...probably the year they played...and found them good, but nothing more. Sort of like prog with a slight Xanax hangover.

Now I appreciate these albums especially Mirage, Grey Goose, and Mooninsanity way way more. I've essentially opened myself up to their sound, and I'm glad I did. This music (at least those albums) are just constantly exploding with melody, melody, melody virtually every measure. Themes you hum for days afterwards even if you don't want to. And Latimer with his Les Paul during this era is just gorgeous playing - anybody that says this cat isn't a beautiful player has their bowels fully clogged up and needs a visit from the Illinois enema bandit. The guy has the magic touch on par with cats like FZ, Phil Miller, Lifeson, Frith, Barre, Howe, etc...you know the usual characters. His live solo on Ryayader goes to Town is a masterclass in tone, expression, and melody. That's what's I thinks anysways.

OK ciao.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    And Latimer with his Les Paul during this era is just gorgeous playing - anybody that says this cat isn't a beautiful player has their bowels fully clogged up and needs a visit from the Illinois enema bandit.
    Apparently Roger Waters had Andy in his sights for one of his tours. I can easily see him credibly covering Pink Floyd guitar parts.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Apparently Roger Waters had Andy in his sights for one of his tours. I can easily see him credibly covering Pink Floyd guitar parts.
    Damm...I wish he would have got that gig! It would have been really heartwarming to see "one of ours" get a hugely high profile job like that. One that could really be a pay day for him. And, someone like Andy, who just has talent oozing from his fingertips deserves it, in a big way.

I kind of felt that way when Nels Cline got the gig with Wilco. Well deserved in every way.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Damm...I wish he would have got that gig! It would have been really heartwarming to see "one of ours" get a hugely high profile job like that. One that could really be a pay day for him. And, someone like Andy, who just has talent oozing from his fingertips deserves it, in a big way.

I kind of felt that way when Nels Cline got the gig with Wilco. Well deserved in every way.

best
    Michael
    It's near the bottom of this interview but he discussed his experience here (spoilers: it was a positive experience)

https://www.hit-channel.com/intervie...er-camel/55489
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

I just heard Breathless for the first time, and I was sort of digging it until I got to "Down on the Farm."

... that song is the definition of terrible.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Trust me, it was quite an experience. Next one will be Dust and Dreams. Camel music is just fantastic to listen to in the dark..
    I hope you've got Rain Dances. That's always been my fave.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I hope you've got Rain Dances. That's always been my fave.
    I sure have and it's just sublime. I love it to bits!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I don’t know about anyone else, but I had to read this twice.

You thought he said he was going to listen to it in the nude?

"Hey baby it's a quarter to eight and I feel I'm in the nude. "
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I just heard Breathless for the first time, and I was sort of digging it until I got to "Down on the Farm."

... that song is the definition of terrible.
    I like it! Heard it so many times.
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post

best
    Michael
    And he adds so much to Wilco’s sound. I’m not a big fan, but my wife is, and I’ve seen Wilco six or seven times now (including a weekend festival in Mexico last January—I missed the mezcal tasting with Cline). Every time I see them, Cline is a marvel.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Since I’m here …

Anyone else think Camel is in need of one of these giant box sets? If Hillage and Giant and Caravan can carry one, I’d think Camel could, too.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Since I’m here …

Anyone else think Camel is in need of one of these giant box sets? If Hillage and Giant and Caravan can carry one, I’d think Camel could, too.
    I think they need a new album! Andy said a while ago that he had made some new music but had chucked it (or words to that effect).

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    I think they need a new album! Andy said a while ago that he had made some new music but had chucked it (or words to that effect).
    This! I hope someone can convince Andy enough to release it finally. A huge Boxset would be nice too with much extra's and unreleased stuff. I got a feeling Andy's sitting on a plethora of great, unheard music. I so much hope we will get to hear some at least...

definitely... Andy and Gilmour are by far the best, most emotionally gripping guitarists of the English progressive scene in my book. So lyrical and fluid. Hackett solo is a distant 3rd but Genesis just never clicked for me...
    and then there's the Frippster, but as creative as he is, he's just a bit too clinical
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    definitely... Andy and Gilmour are by far the best, most emotionally gripping guitarists of the English progressive scene in my book. So lyrical and fluid. Hackett solo is a distant 3rd but Genesis just never clicked for me...
    and then there's the Frippster, but as creative as he is, he's just a bit too clinical
    I would put Steve Rothery from Marillion in the same group, but of course he's a bit younger than these gentlemen...

I love The Ghosts of Pripyat. Excellent playing on that
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Camel were a band that unfolded over a long period for me actually -- I only liked the first four albums when I initially began listening to them; everything after that seemed overly simplified or sedate. But every couple of years I'd come back and I'd say now that I love 80% of their whole catalog. I do think their self-titled and Mirage are probably the easiest to get hooked on right away and maybe where I'd recommend starting for a newbie. But if other stuff seems kind of meh at first -- stick with it.

I like it all sans some of the stuff on Stationary Traveler, Single Factor and I Can See Your House From Here. I always get back to the sublimity of Rain Dances. I love Andy Ward's drumming on this.