Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELP - Unknown Ballad

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

ELP - Unknown Ballad

So is there any definitive answer on who it is performing this on the SW Tarkus reissue? Has anyone heard/read where SW addresses the question of how it got on the CD?

Also, did they ever release the set with this song removed?

I've never seen anything further on this either. I wonder if someone ever asked Eddy Offord about it. Perhaps he'd have some memory of this.

That's not emerson on keys, he couldn't play that many block chords in a row if you held a gun to his head

Sounds like Steve Wilson singing to me

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    That's not emerson on keys, he couldn't play that many block chords in a row if you held a gun to his head

Sounds like Steve Wilson singing to me
    That would be really funny if it was Wilson and that was just his way to be on an ELP album!

Good of SW that he resisted of adding more unknown ballads to the classic prog albums. Imagine if we'd find some pretty "unknown ballad" on Yes Album or Islands)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That would be really funny if it was Wilson and that was just his way to be on an ELP album!
    Gives a whole new meaning to "remixing" an album -- take the original artists off, insert yourself.

Could become a trend. I can think of several albums this could improve

I wonder if the band that actually recorded that, know that it's finally been released.

it's not ELP.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I wonder if the band that actually recorded that, know that it's finally been released.
    Imagine if it was a smash hit single! The legal battles.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    it's not ELP.
    Not E, not L, and not P, respectively. The main suspicion falls on S.W. But obviously, he would not confess. We have a mystery here)

Did Peter Sinfield ever sing? Could be be the performer of the Unknown Ballad?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Did Peter Sinfield ever sing? Could be be the performer of the Unknown Ballad?
    Pretty sure this is Peter singing on his solo album:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Pretty sure this is Peter singing on his solo album:

Thanks! I never heard him before.

Laura

So, wait, we're saying that Steve Wilson recorded a song and inserted it onto someone else's record, for what reason? As some kind of prank, or what? Sounds highly unprofessional to me.

It isn't Steven Wilson singing.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Pretty sure this is Peter singing on his solo album
    No, that's Ted Wilson - Steven Wilson's unknown dad.

You have to remember that this was during the reign of Harold Wilson, Steven and Freddie Wilson's great uncle thrice removed respectively. The Wilsons have always been very active, moved about a lot and served humanity on so many levels. Highly recommended.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It sounds like Lake on the harmonies in the middle.

I actually am quite fond of this song, as un-ELP as it is. There is a simple longing to the lyrics that works for me. Since Emerson's death the "maybe it's just a dream" idea has become more poignant to me, for as I see the prog icons die off and the memory of that magical period disappear or get more marginalized in the cultural memory, I wonder one day if the whole prog era will seem like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No, that's Ted Wilson - Steven Wilson's unknown dad.

No, it's Mister Wilson - with Dennis drumming.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Maybe it's a roadie, a janitor, or the ham & cheese sandwich delivery person.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    It could be Emerson singing.
    It doesn't sound like him. I've heard his singing on The Nice recordings.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It doesn't sound like him. I've heard his singing on The Nice recordings.

This was discussed quite a lot when this topic initially came up shortly after the Wilson remix of the album was released. What I find so frustrating about this is how disconnected ELP were from this remix project. As I recall, they've all stated in interviews that they didn't listen to the remixed or surround sound versions. And Carl, in a particularly brilliant move, even stated that he didn't see the need for a new remix. Umm, hey Carl, the record company was trying to sell more of your albums. Could you have at least kept quiet? I suppose that that was part of the reason that Steven just gave up on the ELP remixes. That was a real pity. I think that the BSS remix would have come out a lot better in Wilson's hands.

But, the mystery of the Unknown Ballad is really peculiar. Wilson says that it was on the tapes in the midst of lots of other takes from Tarkus. I wonder if Eddy Offord might have some idea of who this is. But, I gather that he's no longer active in the music industry. It's odd that no one has admitted to being involved with this song. You would think that if it wasn't Emerson, or one of the other guys, that someone out there would have said, "yeah, that's me; it was a demo tape that I sent to the boys" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    This was discussed quite a lot when this topic initially came up shortly after the Wilson remix of the album was released. What I find so frustrating about this is how disconnected ELP were from this remix project. As I recall, they've all stated in interviews that they didn't listen to the remixed or surround sound versions. And Carl, in a particularly brilliant move, even stated that he didn't see the need for a new remix. Umm, hey Carl, the record company was trying to sell more of your albums. Could you have at least kept quiet? I suppose that that was part of the reason that Steven just gave up on the ELP remixes. That was a real pity. I think that the BSS remix would have come out a lot better in Wilson's hands.

But, the mystery of the Unknown Ballad is really peculiar. Wilson says that it was on the tapes in the midst of lots of other takes from Tarkus. I wonder if Eddy Offord might have some idea of who this is. But, I gather that he's no longer active in the music industry. It's odd that no one has admitted to being involved with this song. You would think that if it wasn't Emerson, or one of the other guys, that someone out there would have said, "yeah, that's me; it was a demo tape that I sent to the boys" or something like that.
    The reason I revisited this old topic is because I ordered the latest reissue of Tarkus from Amazon, and it is arriving on July 29. I wonder if the Unknown Ballad will be included on the CD I get.

I find it strange that nobody will admit to being responsible for this song.

Apparently, Greg Lake had some input on this current batch of reissues, since he requested 140g vinyl rather than 180g vinyl for the LP reissues. He said that lighter vinyl sounds better than heavier vinyl on modern turntables.

Laura

I think someone posted a track list from the new edition and it DID include Unknown Ballad, which I would think means they did somehow confirm it's ELP.