Thread: Proggie things to do in Minneapolis

Proggie things to do in Minneapolis

Hello All
    Haven't posted on here in quite a while, so sorry if this is the wrong section.
    Anyhow ... I'm in Minneapolis for another 3 weeks with Wicked, and was wondering what are the best local record/cd shops, used book stores, and local bands and clubs to check out.
    I'm not completely new to Minneapolis, but I haven't been here since 2010.
    Thanks for your help.
    Ed

I've been gone since 2010 but friends keep me up to date. Cheapos is still the biggest of the used vinyl stores. I have a friend that ran into Prince at the St Paul one about five years ago. But man, there's a ton of small used/new vinyl stores: Electric Fetus, Hymie's, Know Name. Here's a list from the independent rag:

http://www.citypages.com/music/10-be...stores-8198249

Bookstores are all over the place. I'm a science fiction/fantasy guy so my faves have always been the incredible Dreamhaven and the Uncles: Uncle Hugo's (SF/F) and Uncle Edgar's (mystery/thrillers).

Too bad you're not there in June for this because I am told by several folks it's vinyl nirvana:

https://mnrecordshow.wordpress.com/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks brother ! I really appreciate this.
    I think that I'm heading to Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Book Store tomorrow.
    http://www.unclehugo.com/prod/index.shtml

not sure if Jerjo is referring to me, but I did meet Prince back in 2009 at Cheapo in Uptown (http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...e-tonight.html). That was at the now old Lake Street location. It has now moved to Nicollet.

That Citypages article, while okay, I would take with a grain of salt as City (Shitty) Pages I find caters a bit to the hipsters. Places like Dead Media, Flashlight Vinyl and It Records (along with Extreme Noise, Treehouse, and Hymies) I don't anticipate shopping at anytime soon to be honest, for various reasons.

I wrote a bit of an epic-length review of my take on the the-then Record Stores in the Twin Cities back in 2013 here:
    http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...-part-one.html

To Update:
    Cheapo Minneapolis (on Nicollet)
    Cheapo in St.Paul (on Snelling)
    Agharta Records (University Ave and Highway 280) in St.Paul. New store, prices can be a bit high, but they have a lot of stuff that others stores never get. Example, I found a copy of The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute there on Saturday
    Barely Brothers (Raymond just North of University Ave, literally 3 or 4 blocks away from Agharta, and opened the same week back a few years ago). Their inventory is pretty good and the guys who own it are very social. They don't get as much Metal and Prog as Agharta, but I have been continually surprised and impressed by them.
    The Electric Fetus
    Roadrunner Records
    Know Name Records: rare items, but some are quite highly priced

There's also a lot of Half Price Books stores, that of course carry music and vinyl as well as books, dvds, etc of course. Favorites being Roseville and Highland Park (St.Paul).

As far as live music over the next 3 weeks?

My concert calendar from now until the 15th of May is a bit thin with

-5/2/17 Dean Magraw with Davu Seru at The Black Dog Cafe in downtown St.Paul. This show is free, with tips suggested, etc, once a month. Dean plays a lot of Jazz pieces, interpretations, etc) I may not end up going, not sure. These shows happen the 1st Tuesday of each month 7-9PM.
    -5/11/17 Hall & Oates and Tears for Fears at the XCel Energy Center in St.Paul
    -5/13/17 Coheed and Cambria with The Dear Hunter at First Avenue

I'm not sure of the schedules off the top of my head, but here's a few of my favorite local bands/musicians:
    Dean Magraw and his many collaborations.
    Brice Plays Drums
    The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra+ Lehto & Wright
    Greg Herriges and his many collaborations
    Cloud Cult: they play shows in the cities. The next one I am seeing is in June though
    Bubblemath: who people know here on PE
    Ideology and Charlie Engen's projects. He's the new drummer for Scale the Summit in fact
    RisingSide
    Words for Penga

That's right, I remember that you did see him at Cheapos too. How weird is that knowing of two guys that ran into the Purple One there. He must have loved going there. Damn, I wonder how big of a vinyl collection he had. I wonder who is going to get it?

Highland Park Half Price - I spent way too much time in that location during the short time we lived in that area. That little downtown area where that store is located has its share of little shops and bars.

I did forget Magers & Quinn which is kind of the kingpin of Twin Cities bookstores (but I still prefer Dreamhaven or the Uncles).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks MNprogger! Appreciate it, brother!
    I'm surprised that neither of you mentioned Bunkers ... and their house band Dr. Mambo's Combo.
    I know that they're the opposite of proggie, but they were incredible the last time that I saw them and someone from Prince's band sat in and played bass with them.
    Not sure who, but the local crowd went wild. This was in summer/fall of 2010.

yw Edwin.

Prince actually would show up at Bunkers among other venues.

I have only been there once or twice. It's fine, but it's also in downtown Minneapolis and the shows go late.

And Jerjo's right about Magers and Quinn. I met Daniel Clowes there at a book signing last March even. Nice store off Hennepin in Uptown.

Edwin, just curious, what are you doing with Wicked?

I travel as the Head Advance Tech with the show. I advance the show with the local crews and venue, and set it up in every city.
    I'm usually only in each city for the first four days, Sun.-Wed.(opening night) and travel home to Pittsburgh on Thursday where I work at our main theatre The Benedum Center.
    I'm here for all five weeks as I'm covering one of our show crew members who went home for vacation.
    Let me know if you or any of your friends are attending. I don't get any free tickets, but I can give backstage tours after the show.
    Ed

Good Springtime Day -

Hello mnprogger... If my memory serves (isn't there a thread about this) both Bubblemath AND Galactic Cowboy Orchestra played the stage at Progday N.C. Considered impressive that Minnesota has had two bands there in North Carolina over the years!

'that smile and those front TEETH'.... that's what has me fondly remembering, to this day, regarding GCOrch!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Good Springtime Day -

Hello mnprogger... If my memory serves (isn't there a thread about this) both Bubblemath AND Galactic Cowboy Orchestra played the stage at Progday N.C. Considered impressive that Minnesota has had two bands there in North Carolina over the years!

'that smile and those front TEETH'.... that's what has me fondly remembering, to this day, regarding GCOrch!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Galactic Cowboy Orchestra also played Progtoberfest last year and were great. Well worth catching if they happen to be playing the area.

Former Vikings punter Chris Kluwe supposedly had a prog band for a while but I never got a chance to see them.

Edwin, if you enjoy microbrews the brewpub scene has exploded since the legislature lifted some limitations on them. The new Surly brewhouse/restaurant should then be at the top of your list.

The Walker Art Center is considered iconic, at least for its outdoor sculpture garden but I contend the Minneapolis Institute of Art is a far better experience.

Thanks Jerjo!
    And you're spot on about the brewpub scene since the last time that I was here in 2010.