Thread: New band with a new album....Troposphere

New band with a new album....Troposphere

A new recording project, Troposphere, is out with it's debut album! Troposphere is Matt Sweitzer, from Canvas and Greg Lounsberry, from October Tree, along with old and new Canvas Productions players. The album is on the Canvas Productions label, and is available at the Canvas Productions website and soon at the usual places like CD Baby, Itunes and Amazon. Songs will also appear on The Canvas Prog Hour. If you'd like to review it, contact Matt for a review copy or download link.

https://www.canvasproductions.net/
    Last edited by Canvas; 04-25-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    www.canvasproductions.net

I have your Canvas double CD. It had some real good stuff on it. Time for me to revisit it again. I will be interested to hear how this is similar or different from that Canvas album.

Thanks for the kind words Yodelgoat....that album you have is "Avenues" from back in 2002. We've made two more since then, "Digital Pigeon" from 2007 and "Long Way To Mars" from 2013....there are alot of the same players on the new Troposphere album and some new players as well.

I think I have both Avenues and Digital pidgeon. I recall the latter was in my player on a regular rotation for quite some time. So is this new album something similar?

Yes, similar in style and sound with alot of the same players, but the song writers are me and Greg Lounsberry on this one.

A review by Jerry Lucky....

Over the years I’ve had the opportunity to listen to many discs that have emanated out of the Canvas Productions studio. This is the latest and it’s called Troposphere consisting fifty minutes of music split into ten tracks ranging in length from just under four minutes (most of them are just over four) to as long as eight minutes. The most apt musical description I can come up with to describe the band’s musical style is Melodic-Prog or perhaps Prog-Lite. Now that shouldn’t be taken in a negative way as there is a solid level of musicianship on display here and it’s the kind of music that borrows a little from Steely Dan and a little from Barclay James Harvest. Some of the songs feature more proggy embellishments while others rely on traditional song structures and catchy melodies to rise to the surface. Either way these tunes are lovingly crafted to straddle that fine line of making even the more mainstream tunes be infused with some level of musicianship. It’s not always the longer songs that deliver a more proggy vibe though they are more complex in structure, the shorter four-minute tunes still offer up some interesting musical change-ups to keep things interesting. Take for example the instrumental “One Track Mind” [4:03] which displays a nice variety of musical layers of proggy-ness. Instrument wise there is some nice variety as well with plenty of keyboard and guitar tones on display. The feeling I got was that there was a lot of thought put into each of these pieces to get them to each sound unique and yet part of the larger sound. There is a lot of really nice playing throughout the whole CD. I found every one of these tunes enjoyable and satisfying and real easy to listen to over and over again. If you enjoy the music of either of the bands mentioned earlier I’m quite sure you’ll find much to appreciate and enjoy with the music of Troposphere.