Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Styx

New Styx

Have not seen anyone post about this yet. First new album from Styx in 14 years. Apparently it is a concept album about a mission to Mars. Here is the first single:

Sounds pretty rocking! The last one, be it 14 years ago, was excellent. I hope they can pull off another because it's long over due.

That was pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Have not seen anyone post about this yet. First new album from Styx in 14 years. Apparently it is a concept album about a mission to Mars.
    Cool. Years ago JY said it didn't make sense to make a new album that just sells 10,000 copies. Then a couple of years ago wiki stated that Styx was working on a new album.

So, a once very popular band that had prog elements puts out a concept album where the first single is two minutes long. This should confuse the prog world!

Interesting!

a concept album eh. I am seeing them about a week after it comes out will they go full on concept and play the entire album. that will likely please the folks who paid 10 bucks for the groupon hoping to see mister roboto...

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Cool. Years ago JY said it didn't make sense to make a new album that just sells 10,000 copies.
    Amusing. Mastodon sold 40,000 + in the first week

They should change the band name to Botox.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I just read on MelodicRock that the album has a lot of outside song credits on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Sounds pretty rocking! The last one, be it 14 years ago, was excellent. I hope they can pull off another because it's long over due.
    Although it gets mixed reviews from fans I also really liked "Cyclorama".

<outside credits>

So it might actually be good.
    <sig out of order>

Here is a pretty good article on the album: http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...usive-premiere

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    <outside credits>

So it might actually be good.
    I almost typed that but refrained...

I almost typed that but refrained...
    I know, I should know better. I feel like I can say that since I was a fan way back when and listened to their albums probably more than was healthy at one point. In more recent years I wasn't too excited with what they came out with. But I don't really care how the sausage is made - it doesn't have to be only certain people coming up with the ideas.
    <sig out of order>

I just read on MelodicRock that the album has a lot of outside song credits on it.
    Co-writer is Will Evankovich who has worked with Tommy Shaw on numerous projects in the past, although never with Styx that I am aware of. Not sure if that is a good thing or not......

They still can kick ass. Saw them a little while ago, totally knocked me sideways, excellent show. And they can all still play! And Sucherman is a beast...

If anyone is interested in the other end of the Styx spectrum, the Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings - containing the first four Shawless albums - is on sale at amazon for $7.39.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Wood...1FM/ref=sr_1_7

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    If anyone is interested in the other end of the Styx spectrum, the Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings - containing the first four Shawless albums - is on sale at amazon for $7.39.

It is a great collection, and the albums sound fantastic. Their material back then was hit and miss, but there were some gems on those records.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Great news! Thanks for sharing it. The YT clip looked/sounded great. Styx is a monster live band too.

thanks for the tip. I have a best of LP covering that period but will be nice to have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Although it gets mixed reviews from fans I also really liked "Cyclorama".
    I liked most of it at the time. Highlights are "One With Everything" a classic, along with "Kiss Your Ass Goodbye".

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Doesn't sound like Styx to me. Much too straight ahead rock.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    thanks for the tip. I have a best of LP covering that period but will be nice to have it all.
    Amazon is funny sometimes.

With a $7 purchase of the CD version, you get an immediate, free mp3 download.

A purchase of the mp3 version is 22.99.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Amazon is funny sometimes.

With a $7 purchase of the CD version, you get an immediate, free mp3 download.

A purchase of the mp3 version is 22.99.
    Too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Doesn't sound like Styx to me. Much too straight ahead rock.
    Later Styx did this at times but I bet the rest of the album will sound like a cross between Relayer and The Grand Illusion. You read it here first!