Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IGNORE Any Posts Or Emails Titled : Critical Security Vulnerability

IGNORE Any Posts Or Emails Titled : Critical Security Vulnerability

WE HAVE BEEN HACKED!

If you get an email, or see any post from "Admin" telling you to follow a link to fix a security vulnerability ...

IGNORE IT

It's a scam.

Thanks,

The (real) Admin
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 04-19-2017 at 02:30 AM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Damn, lucky I checked here, almost fooled me...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I wonder what the "fix" does if someone falls for it.

If only they would use their powers for Niceness instead of evil.

Wait a second,
    How do we know that YOU are the real PE and not a hacker? I am getting confused

You need to make this warning more prominent

Woe, I almost fell for it too. But these days I question anything like that instead of blindly downloading. Glad I did!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I didn't fall for it. I never download something, just because some e-mail tells me so. I first look at the website.

The email I received went directly to my "deleted" folder. Not a good sign for sure. I'll bet if you download and install the fix that the supposed virus is there in the download itself. NEVER install an ".exe" file you don't recognize as legit. Also..anyone who had visited in the past "24 months"...seriously...and we are just hearing about it now??? SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!!

Here's the message:

There was recently a security vulnerability we found in our software. All users that visited within 24 months have been affected. It is known as HTML injections and have put a virus into you PC. We have updated and made a fix. This is a client to remove the affected code 100% and protect you from attacks like these.

This will be required for all members wanting to stay on the forum because of recent security issues.

This file has been scanned for viruses and there is no need to worry about it!

DOWNLOAD HERE>>> """http://sendspace.com/file/8kx8sf[/"""

"""https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/eb8bff16823e6bb79e91db9fb98bb7b0ea11a42ea9a50979f3 ad0c8d0927934b/analysis/1491961464/"""

We are very sorry for the inconvenience but we will be happy to see it that you will come back to ProgressiveEars

We're gonna find them and make them wish they'D NEVER BEEN BORN!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The hackers ruined Genesis!

A soon as you read it, the fact that English is not this persons first language, makes it dead giveaway. Some of the grammar would make my wife apoplectic with rage....

I suspected it was a scam but nice to have it clarified!

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    A soon as you read it, the fact that English is not this persons first language, makes it dead giveaway. Some of the grammar would make my wife apoplectic with rage....
    Great observation!!!

Probably a Phil Collins lover
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    We're gonna find them and make them wish they'D NEVER BEEN BORN!
    Yes, we're going to invite them into a R&RHOF topic.

But obviously the scammers did get their hands on the progressive ears users database.

Yep. Whenever in doubt, consider how poorly the "warning" is written. It will rarely steer you wrong.

Yup, I also had this and was about to open a thread in the site issue section (someone else did)

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    You need to make this warning more prominent
    My first glance was in the Admin Site Issue forum to see if Sean/Coz/Duncan had posted there

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I didn't fall for it. I never download something, just because some e-mail tells me so. I first look at the website.
    Exactly, my first reaction was to check the site for confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Yes, we're going to invite them into a R&RHOF topic.
    Hey, no need to get ugly and murderous
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

You should also always be alerted when the download link doesnt match progressiveears.org but is going somewhere else.

BUT there must be some kind of vulnerabilty, since the Opera browser warns you that progressiveears.org has a problem...

Yes, it's strange to me that these people are so skilled at hacking yet don't get anyone to check their English. To be honest, it will be very difficult to tell a scan like this from a real warning if they put more work into the body text.

Can the admins here work out whether the hackers got just the user emails or did they get login passwords as well?

Geez, the depths that Snake Oil Audio will go to get members...

Thanks, Duncan. Hopefully everyone checks here first for clarification.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Yes, it's strange to me that these people are so skilled at hacking yet don't get anyone to check their English. To be honest, it will be very difficult to tell a scan like this from a real warning if they put more work into the body text.

Can the admins here work out whether the hackers got just the user emails or did they get login passwords as well?
    Duncan is your best bet to answer that. The only thing I can surmise from the email is that it referred to me by my user name, which I think help provides a clue. So they may have just used the admin messaging system to send a mass email and not by collecting everyone's data.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 04-19-2017 at 05:47 AM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Geez, the depths that Snake Oil Audio will go to get members...
    I suppose that's humour and nothing to do with Wallace & Svet getting back at us
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Svet getting back at us
    Like, sorta, "Svet's recommendations of progressive rock sites (pick only one!)"?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM