Thread: Home Theater - 5.1 Audio-High Def setups

Home Theater - 5.1 Audio-High Def setups

I'm currently changing out my setup for Blu-ray and DVD-Audio/SACD/DTS 5.1 audio playback. I'm replacing a Panasonic Blu-ray and my Oppo 971HD player with the Oppo UDP-203. I am hoping to simplify my cable setup without losing the ability to play DVD-Audio. I also want to use the Oppo for playing regular CDs, but I notice it doesn't have the dedicated analog stereo outputs like the 971 did.
    Would I be able to use the coaxial or optical output to my receiver to play this way? I noticed that if I play back CDs through my Panasonic Blu-ray that the audio level is much lower through HDMI. What would be the best workaround for this?

After receiving the Oppo and setting it up, I sent an email to support and asked how to set the defaults for DVD-Audio and SACD playback to analog outputs.
    The answer I received was directions to set the the speaker defaults. Not very encouraging....
    The problem seems to be that the factory default is HDMI via PCM for both of these. The choices for DVD-Audio are DVD-Audio or DVD-Video. The choices for SACD are PCM-HDMI or DSD. I'm assuming that since the DSD can only go through analog, that it would output to analog only.
    I will be trying it out this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

OK, re-wired the analog inputs. Found out that the RGB+3 audio cables will not handle all audio. Shame on me!
    Used some basic RCA cables, and it worked like a charm on both DVD-Audio and SACD. The best surprise was playing plain CDs. The sound was phenomenal! It wasn't substantially lower in volume like other DVD and Blu-rays.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    OK, re-wired the analog inputs. Found out that the RGB+3 audio cables will not handle all audio. Shame on me!
    Used some basic RCA cables, and it worked like a charm on both DVD-Audio and SACD. The best surprise was playing plain CDs. The sound was phenomenal! It wasn't substantially lower in volume like other DVD and Blu-rays.
    Well glad I didn’t pay for the Oppo. I doubt that analog would be used for DSD, fiber, coax or HDMI. My Sony UHP X800 streams DSD over HDMI to my Pioneer which has DSD to 192 KHz 32 bit PCM conversion and 32 bit DSP for room correction. This Sony covers every AV format I can think of except HDCD.