Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: YES- 2018 Tour Plans

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    But unlike the people mentioned (excepting Geoff's contributions to Drama), they were instrumental in the creation of great Yes music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This is some funny sh*t right here! Thanks for the entertainment folks!!!

I'm not attacking anyone. I'm stating a fact.
    No you're not...but you know that (I hope)

so if this is the Europe tour does that mean USA has relayer Tormato to look forward to? I would be fairly ecstatic with that combo just because I have only seen yes play 1.2 of those songs live (whale and Soon)

I'm not attacking anyone. I'm stating a fact.
    Oh what a wonderful Trumpian world we live in, where our opinions are facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    No you're not...but you know that (I hope)
    What he was referencing was the statement of a fact that people were being attacked for stating their opinions.

Sorry, but it was a statement of fact.

I realize that anything that conflicts with the batsh!t delusions of "loyalty" expressed by the True Believers is reflexively attacked with much screeching and howling, but that doesn't change the fact that they *are* attacked, and with the predictability of clockwork.

Well, Relayer would be interesting - but I just saw Steve Howe's Yes perform sides 1 & 4 of Tales. It was very good but I don't need to see it again. Would prefer if they played The Remembering, I think it's as good as the other Tales material, not sure why they never play that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    What he was referencing was the statement of a fact that people were being attacked for stating their opinions.

I realize that anything that conflicts with the batsh!t delusions of "loyalty" expressed by the True Believers is reflexively attacked with much screeching and howling, but that doesn't change the fact that they *are* attacked, and with the predictability of clockwork.
    Sorry, no. Enough with this deflection. We can all differ in opinion, no one has a problem with that. But when a person offers their opinion in an assholey manner and gets called on it, don't conflate that with some "loyalty" or "true believer" crap. I can think someone is an asshole regardless of the opinions they express. Telling them they're being a dick isn't a defense of some band. Assholes are assholes, regardless of what bands they like.*

*These are all hypothetical assholes. I'm not referring to anyone in particular in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Sorry, no. Enough with this deflection. We can all differ in opinion, no one has a problem with that. But when a person offers their opinion in an assholey manner and gets called on it, don't conflate that with some "loyalty" or "true believer" crap. I can think someone is an asshole regardless of the opinions they express. Telling them they're being a dick isn't a defense of some band. Assholes are assholes, regardless of what bands they like.*

*These are all hypothetical assholes. I'm not referring to anyone in particular in this case.

as long as the school marms know that they are indeed flies in the ointment. masochism world indeed . . .

all of this is opinion. all of it. zero objectivity when it comes to taste

the real cuntery is shown when a poster tries to make another feel bad for their enjoyment by stating "truthisms" and gold standards. all of that shit that people do to 'Make America Great Again' or asitwere to 'Make Yes Great Again'

just sit back, stfu and stroke your neckbeard
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    all of that shit that people do to 'Make America Great Again' or asitwere to 'Make Yes Great Again'
    Funny you should make that reference. When I was posting that dickish rant above, I was thinking of how much this deflection:

"steve howe is old and should retire and billy sherwood sucks and no Jon no Rick no Yes and Geoff Downes is the worst and doesn't know how to play."

"You really don't need to listen to them, go see them, or contribute to threads about them."

"You're just attacking me because you can't stand to see your precious band insulted."

Reminds me of:

"[Factless opinion of how great Donald Trump is, and unsupported opinions of some great thing he did]"

"[Actual facts denying everything that was just said]"

"You're just attacking me because you're a precious snowflake who's butthurt that Trump won."

Funny you should make that reference. When I was posting that dickish rant above, I was thinking of how much this deflection:

"steve howe is old and should retire and billy sherwood sucks and no Jon no Rick no Yes and Geoff Downes is the worst and doesn't know how to play."

"You really don't need to listen to them, go see them, or contribute to threads about them."

"You're just attacking me because you can't stand to see your precious band insulted."

Reminds me of:

"[Factless opinion of how great Donald Trump is, and unsupported opinions of some great thing he did]"

"[Actual facts denying everything that was just said]"

"You're just attacking me because you're a precious snowflake who's butthurt that Trump won."

at least with Political Policy we can traverse to things like numbers and other actuaries to measure.

I could give two fucks if someone hates Steve Howe or Rick Wakeman.

the lame thing is actively bumming another out for doing so. or worse yet, casting a judgement of 'taste' against one. that's a superior asshole move

what's the real trip in that??
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    so if this is the Europe tour does that mean USA has relayer Tormato to look forward to? I would be fairly ecstatic with that combo just because I have only seen yes play 1.2 of those songs live (whale and Soon)
    (Staying out of politicalization of thread)

I personally would rather they tried all of Time and a Word rather than Tormato. I think Steve would dig it, and it would be a much better fit for Downes' style of playing.

Re: why not play side two of Tales, I have a feeling it's the one side that gets butts squirming the most. I love it also, but it's probably a bit sleepy in a live setting.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 04-19-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

If I were walking down the street and heard a street musician playing Yes songs, I would stop and listen - attentively, and leave him a BIG tip when he was done. I would go see a garage band try to play Yes in a bar. I would go see Steve Howe and Blue Vino play Yes music in the mens bathroom at Outback Steakhouse in downtown fort Worth.... What they all have in common is they're playing music I have loved all my life. Who plays it is not for me, the most important thing. I would love to see Yes as Yes again, but thats just not a possibility any more, and is growing less likely every day. Its the music I love. The musicians who wrote it I have the utmost respect for. But Some people just dont realize how rare an opportunity it is to hear Yes music in a live environment. in 5-10 years it may be impossible. But I hope that someone will still remember these great songs, and play them. Beats the hell out of trying to choke down a burger and beverage listening to "Big ol' Jet Airliner".

I wish Jon and Steve could get along enough to get it together, but since I have no control over their choices, I'll take what I can get. Same with Rush. If Neil will not, or can not play live. I hope the other two will do what they can to carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    (Staying out of politicalization of thread)

I personally would rather they tried all of Time and a Word rather than Tormato. I think Steve would dig it, and it would be a much better fit for Downes' style of playing.

Re: why not play side two of Tales, I have a feeling it's the one side that gets butts squirming the most. I love it also, but it's probably a bit sleepy in a live setting.
    that would be pretty cool though I can see the posts now: "no one from the album is on stage performing it blasphemy!"

I would probably actually be happier with relayer and the ladder (or relayer and the new album...) but they seem focused on getting all the 70s albums done.

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    at least with Political Policy we can traverse to things like numbers and other actuaries to measure.

I could give two fucks if someone hates Steve Howe or Rick Wakeman.
    I honestly can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not. But I agree with you.

I didn't say any of this.

1. I don't think Steve Howe should retire even if he did play badly. He's still playing great, he's one of my all time favourite guitarists of all time and (in my opinion) better than Rabin by a country mile.
    2. I don't think Billy Sherwood sucks, I think he's a good musician and a nice bloke. That doesn't make him a full Yes member though.
    3. No Jon No Rick? My favourite keyboard player in Yes is Patrick Moraz but I stick to the No Jon No Yes argument.
    4. I think Geoff is a very gifted composer and a very gifted player and I love the Drama album, FFH and a lot of Asia too. I just don't think he does Wakeman's parts any justice and I can't imagine him trying to do Moraz.

I didn't say any of this.

1. I don't think Steve Howe should retire even if he did play badly. He's still playing great, he's one of my all time favourite guitarists of all time and (in my opinion) better than Rabin by a country mile.
    2. I don't think Billy Sherwood sucks, I think he's a good musician and a nice bloke. That doesn't make him a full Yes member though.
    3. No Jon No Rick? My favourite keyboard player in Yes is Patrick Moraz but I stick to the No Jon No Yes argument.
    4. I think Geoff is a very gifted composer and a very gifted player and I love the Drama album, FFH and a lot of Asia too. I just don't think he does Wakeman's parts any justice and I can't imagine him trying to do Moraz.
    Who said you said any of this? Are you trolling me, or do you not see the irony in your response, given the point that I was making?

I should point out, I've had you on ignore recently - don't recall why - so if you did say something upthread that could be construed as the nonsense I made up for that over-the-top example, well, that's kinda funny, really.

I stick to the No Jon No Yes argument.
    Says it all, then.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

Thank you for this insight into the mind of popeyebonaparte...I suppose it is a fact that people get attacked for stating their opinions on the internet. It's a fact in the same sense that the sun rises in the east is a fact.

Of course you increase your chances of being attacked by joining a thread discussing Official Yes's tour plans and shouting about how the people taking part in the thread should "open their fucking eyes" and realise this isn't Yes....

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    Yes's summer tour in the States will not involve a whole album: rather the band have said they are playing something from each of the band's albums through to Drama. This is the Yestival tour with Carl Palmer's band and Todd Rundgren.

It's unclear if they will do any more touring in 2017, but they've hinted at South American dates -- no clue as to what set.

Then early 2018 will see, probably but not confirmed, Relayer + 5/8 of Tales in Europe. It seems likely that the band will then bring Relayer, possibly in combination with something else, to North America and Japan.

I do not expect all of Tormato to be played ever. A report that the band would do that was based on a misunderstanding.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Well, Relayer would be interesting - but I just saw Steve Howe's Yes perform sides 1 & 4 of Tales. It was very good but I don't need to see it again. Would prefer if they played The Remembering, I think it's as good as the other Tales material, not sure why they never play that one.
    Europe hasn't heard the Tales set yet, thus its expected inclusion in early 2018 touring there. By the time Yes then return to North America, I presume they'll drop Tales as it has been played there.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Both Howe and White have mooted the idea of playing all of Time and a Word, although Howe said, "We talked about other records and I said Time and a Word one day [...] it's off the mark with America because they really don't know that record." It's certainly more likely than Tormato: there are no plans to play Tormato, that was just a misunderstanding that blew up and could have been avoided if people only listened to me and nobody else.

Downes is also a huge fan of Time and a Word.

Henry

Relayer is certainly a tough album in places, although the vast majority of it is no more difficult than other '70s Yes music. I wouldn't want to hear Wakeman try Moraz, but I have more faith in Downes here. Downes, albeit many years back, played in Gary Boyle's band: he was far more of the sensibility required for Relayer than Wakeman would.

Henry

Sad to see so many unwarranted attacks on people just because of their opinions.

The whole thing is just so messed up, I can't quite believe so many people still refuse to open their fucking eyes and realize that this is not Yes. Maybe you were never listening at all...
    You do see the irony here right?