Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uphill Work's 3rd album finally out (oddball Russian prog)

Uphill Work's 3rd album finally out (oddball Russian prog)

Hey guys,

Excuse me for a bit of self-promotion, I haven't done this in 4 years. If this belongs to another forum, I kindly ask the moderator to move it - I used to be an active member on the old PE, but only post here sporadically and could've missed some important information regarding where to post what (hey, I remember the times when there were just main and OT forum, and it was even possible to have them combined on one page!). By the way, this fact has nothing to do with me not liking the new forum (I find it very enjoyable in fact and still have many friends here), but rather the way my life goes in the last couple of years, with less and less time remaining for both listening to music and socializing online.

Anyway, my band UPHILL WORK that is familiar to some of you has just released a new album, called "Missing Opportunities", both on physical CD and as digital download. For those who just want to have a quick listen, here's the link where you can stream the entire album and download it either as a freebie or as an actual purchase (you're welcome to name your own price, there are no restrictions): https://uphillwork.bandcamp.com/

Everybody else - please read on.

This is the album that we have been working on for nearly four years. For my ears, it kinda sums up what Uphill Work is all about: you can call it song-oriented prog or prog-informed rock music or whatever you like, but the bottom line is that it's something obviously done by prog-loving people who still prefer their music melodic and easy-going, although slightly challenging at the same time. My tastes are no secret for the PE crowd - they are quite wide-reaching, but most of all I adore proto-prog, song-based forms of avant/RIO and Canterbury (think Caravan, Samla or, say, Cardiacs), and certainly some classic stuff such as Gentle Giant or Gabriel-era Genesis. I guess traces of my listening habits can be heard in the stuff I write as well.

This new album has our clearest nod to the classic progressive rock so far in form of the closing "Snowing Down South" track, which, with its 18-minute duration, is a homage (or an homage? how do you say that?) to the epics from the glory daze. I first mentioned this song in the interview that ProgArchives did with me back in 2011 or so (still perhaps the only one I have ever given, haha), so you can guess how long it took us to shape it up. We have long adhered to the DIY spirit and writing / recording unpolished songs on the spur of a moment, but that little ditty was definitely an exception. Overall, "Missing Opportunities" is structured like your random favorite LP from 1970 or 1971: several short songs first, and then a grand closer on the flip side of the LP (except that there is no vinyl LP to speak of, but let's not get that deep into semantics).

The album title refers to the line in one of the songs, as well as to our entire 12-year story which is basically a succession of various missed opportunities (all too common for the genre we love - I'm not sure that our music is full-on prog, but our life as a band certainly is). In this context, it can be seen as a valedictory of sorts, which it partly is - we are now ending the first chapter of Uphill Work's story (for personal reasons - our guitar player will be living far away for the next few years), and while I'm inclined to soldier on, nobody including myself can say for sure what the next incarnation of the band will look like and what music it will play. So, to be frank, I find it a bit odd promoting a record by the band that basically broke up. But then again, we have always been odd in many respects, and our music was thought of as quite odd by virtually everyone who listened to it (too prog for pop folks, too pop for prog folks - I kept hearing something like this everywhere), so let's finish it off with the oddest promo blurb I could think of - written by the time the band ceased to exist.

To round up this shamelessly overlong post, let me add that while our first two CDs were released on a label and they actually expressed interest in the new one as well, we decided to take an independent route this time, so for now "Missing Opportunities" won't be sold in stores (even in Russia) and on platforms like iTunes or emusic. The rights for the previous albums are now back with us as well, so the entire discography is currently available for free on our Bandcamp. You can reach it here:

https://uphillwork.bandcamp.com/

I hope you like the music - in this case, please don't hesitate to support us the way that you find suitable: by purchasing songs and albums, ordering physical CDs (this can be done by shooting me a PM - they are cheap, and shipping from Russia is not expensive either) or just spreading the word and writing some nice words in this thread and elsewhere.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for listening!

I'll be sure to check it out.

You should post here more often, btw. Sometthing tells me this place is getting all the more topically one-dimensional as the old guard is backing out.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Sounds really good Lev. Has a bit of a Homonculus Res vibe, but this is a bit more consistently complex. Very interesting. Is the CD a CDR or is it factory pressed? Are your earlier albums available on CD as well?

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'll be sure to check it out.

You should post here more often, btw. Sometthing tells me this place is getting all the more topically one-dimensional as the old guard is backing out.
    Must say I miss your regular posts as well, they were always informative and interesting.

I'm enjoying the album, definitely edgy complex pop.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 09-02-2014 at 10:53 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Nice to hear from you again Lev. I'm currently listening to your album and I have to say I'm impressed with your grasp of English! Using colloquialisms like 'comfy', 'bloke' and 'naff' I find quite surprising for a non-English speaker. But 'concupiscence'? I've have to look that one up

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor
    Thanks man, I wish I could. I joined this place when I was a teenager, and now I'm a father of two working on several jobs at once to fund my family (not counting Uphill Work, a band that takes a lot of time as well, even though for all of us it was, is and probably will always be nothing more than a favorite hobby).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik
    Sounds really good Lev. Has a bit of a Homonculus Res vibe, but this is a bit more consistently complex.
    Thanks Bill. Coming from a fellow musician whose work I always enjoyed, this is a great compliment for us! Your comparison is spot on too - Homunculus Res is definitely one of my absolute favorite albums from the last couple of years, even though I still cannot memorize (or even pronounce!) its title. But I have the same problem with quite a few Italian prog classics too.
    Is the CD a CDR or is it factory pressed? Are your earlier albums available on CD as well?
    Yes and yes - all three are available on real factory pressed CDs, not CDRs. The first two albums were released by a Russian label in a run of 500 copies each (a bit too much for an unknown band, to be honest), and then the label just gave me unsold copies after the contract expired. I still have quite a few of each left. The new one we released as a private pressing in a run of 200 copies. About 1/4 of them were sold on our final "farewell" gig last week where we performed the entire album in the first "act" and then a selection of old and new songs after the intermission. It was good to see approximately hundred people turn up, even though at least half of them were, of course, our personal friends rather than "fans".
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad
    I'm enjoying the album, definitely edgy complex pop.
    Thanks Ian - I like your genre description!
    Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill
    I'm currently listening to your album and I have to say I'm impressed with your grasp of English! Using colloquialisms like 'comfy', 'bloke' and 'naff' I find quite surprising for a non-English speaker. But 'concupiscence'? I've have to look that one up
    Heh, I think I stressed the wrong syllable in that last word in fact Unfortunately, since 99% of my favorite music is non-Russian, I have always found it incredibly difficult to write lyrics in my native tongue (which is ironic since as a listener I mostly prefer bands from various countries - France, Germany, Italy etc. - sing on their native languages rather than English). In a way, my inability to come up with a poetic line in Russian prevented us from getting more recognition over here, which I was always aware of but couldn't really do anything about much as I tried. I even asked a friend once, who is a fellow musician, songwriter and lyricist for the good (non-prog) band Pony, to write a few Russian texts for us, which he did, and they were very nice, inventive and devoid of cliches, but I still couldn't force myself to sing them. On the other hand, English is easy on the ear for me when it comes to music, but my problem is that I don't have much speaking practice, it's just reading, reading and reading (and listening to music, of course). So, consequently, my English is sadly very bookish and probably doesn't have much in common with the vernacular language that people actually use in their speech. Our guitar player has lived in Minnesota for many years and still flies to the United States at least once per year, so at least I made him correct some of the most glaring mistakes before we got to recording vocals!

Thanks everybody for the responses - and please keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Thanks Bill. Coming from a fellow musician whose work I always enjoyed, this is a great compliment for us! Your comparison is spot on too - Homunculus Res is definitely one of my absolute favorite albums from the last couple of years, even though I still cannot memorize (or even pronounce!) its title. But I have the same problem with quite a few Italian prog classics too.
    Thanks!

Yeah, the Homunculus Res is a good one. Fans of that album should definitely check out the Uphill Work samples.

Is the CD a CDR or is it factory pressed? Are your earlier albums available on CD as well?

Yes and yes - all three are available on real factory pressed CDs, not CDRs. The first two albums were released by a Russian label in a run of 500 copies each (a bit too much for an unknown band, to be honest), and then the label just gave me unsold copies after the contract expired. I still have quite a few of each left. The new one we released as a private pressing in a run of 200 copies. About 1/4 of them were sold on our final "farewell" gig last week where we performed the entire album in the first "act" and then a selection of old and new songs after the intermission. It was good to see approximately hundred people turn up, even though at least half of them were, of course, our personal friends rather than "fans".
    Good! I'll be contacting you about all three. Talk with you soon!

Bill

Hey Lev,

It's been hard to get in touch with you. I looked for a site and found nothing. Then I found the official FB group which has something like 35 members. And now I finally found you posting here. I was trying to find out about the new album you said you were recording and now having listened to it, I love it just like the first two I've always loved the fun vibe you guys had and personally, I don't care about the "too pop for prog" argument I've heard now and then. You guys gave me a much needed diversity in my listening experience and for that, a big thank you is in order.

So coming to the change in the band, I was just wanting to ask - since your guitar player is moving away, will you just replace him or are the other members wanting to move on as well? I wouldn't mind either way as long as the easygoing, fun vibe and the innovative musicality was present in the next incarnation along with your vocals and piano playing (although I understand this may change if you're the only common factor in the shuffle).

Hi Lev,
    Really nice album! I am definately interested in a copy (will also PM you)
    To me the first songs reminded of Supersister - Could be because of the fact that it is quirky Canterbury combined with an accent,
    But perhaps it is just my narrow association world
    I am trying to think if I know you - have we met in the RIO festival in france?

Quote Originally Posted by aksnitd
    It's been hard to get in touch with you.
    Yeah, sorry we don't have too much of an online presence. There is no website, just the bandcamp page and half-dead profiles on Facebook, Soundcloud and Myspace. However, it's always easy to find me on Facebook as well as our guitar player Konstantin Benyumov - we both go under our real names there.
    I was trying to find out about the new album you said you were recording and now having listened to it, I love it just like the first two I've always loved the fun vibe you guys had and personally, I don't care about the "too pop for prog" argument I've heard now and then. You guys gave me a much needed diversity in my listening experience and for that, a big thank you is in order.
    Thanks so much for the kind words! The CD of the new album is available, it's cheap and shipping is cheap too, so if you want it, just drop me a PM. I had three requests so far, which is great (many thanks to everyone who got in touch - I hope you guys receive the album in the mail soon), but naturally I still have quite a few copies left. Unlike the first couple of CDs we did, the new one is a self-financed, self-released thing, and it's impossible to find it elsewhere.
    So coming to the change in the band, I was just wanting to ask - since your guitar player is moving away, will you just replace him or are the other members wanting to move on as well?
    That's an interesting question to which I don't have an easy answer. I've been thinking it over and over again during the last few weeks. I'm firmly inclined to keep the bass player in the line-up, and thankfully, it seems he wants to carry on as well (even though naturally playing in Uphill Work doesn't bring him any financial gains - he makes his living by doing session work). As for our guitarist, we'll see how it goes, but so far I think I'd prefer not to replace him but rather leave this place vacant in order for him to be able to get back to us once he returns home after his foreign contract expires. IMO, it would be more interesting to try different instruments (strings? woodwinds? electronics? whoever and whichever is available) to cover up his absence and then in a few years keep them all on board while adding him back as well. That's just an idea though - I'm not yet sure what is going to come out of it.

Another possibility is swapping files online (I know many people do this nowadays - like, I send a basic track, he puts down a few guitar parts and send them back to me, and so it goes until a song is ready). That's not out of order either, although it would require quite a bit of work for me, as I'm totally computer illiterate, I don't use any musical software and hardly even know how to record a piano part on my hard drive. However, we always loved challenging ourselves musically, so that can be seen as just a new kind of challenge. On the other hand, this way I'm afraid we're going to miss the live feel and the kind of teamwork which is only possible when the band is actually rehearsing music and seeing each other in person one or two times a week. Perhaps a combination of two approaches that I outlined might work best in the current situation, though as said, so far it's all just guesswork on my part.
    I wouldn't mind either way as long as the easygoing, fun vibe and the innovative musicality was present in the next incarnation along with your vocals and piano playing (although I understand this may change if you're the only common factor in the shuffle).
    Thanks again, man. I guess that's bound to remain either way as I've been writing most of the tunes for Uphill Work throughout these years and will likely continue doing it. And most of them are borne out of piano improvisations that I do here at home while my wife and kids are away, so that's hardly going to change

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars
    Really nice album! I am definately interested in a copy (will also PM you)
    Thank you
    To me the first songs reminded of Supersister - Could be because of the fact that it is quirky Canterbury combined with an accent,
    But perhaps it is just my narrow association world
    I love your associations Supersister have always been one of my favorite bands, particularly the first two albums. Meeting and talking to Robert Jan Stips last year was a big highlight for me as well.
    I am trying to think if I know you - have we met in the RIO festival in france?
    Could be, though I've only been there once, in 2009 I think (when The Muffins played, as well as Magma, UZ, Present and Koenji). Since then, I was thinking about going again every year, but could not afford it financially. Sadly I'll miss it again this year, although I just got tickets for the Freakshow Artrock Festival in Wurzburg, so if, by chance, you are going to be there, it will be great to meet (and I can bring our CD with me rather than sending it in the mail).

Thank you

I love your associations Supersister have always been one of my favorite bands, particularly the first two albums. Meeting and talking to Robert Jan Stips last year was a big highlight for me as well.

Could be, though I've only been there once, in 2009 I think (when The Muffins played, as well as Magma, UZ, Present and Koenji). Since then, I was thinking about going again every year, but could not afford it financially. Sadly I'll miss it again this year, although I just got tickets for the Freakshow Artrock Festival in Wurzburg, so if, by chance, you are going to be there, it will be great to meet (and I can bring our CD with me rather than sending it in the mail).
    I will miss this years RIO too, in favour of the Lindsay Cooper Memorial (and also Magma, Dedication Orchestra, Per Ubu, Einstürzende Neubauten , Bill Frisell, Dollar Brand and some other Jazz shows, all in the same week )
    If youve been to the 2009 RIO we might have met on the shuttle to and from Albi,
    I seem to remember some heated discussions about Polite Refusal vs Auktzyon, but I might be confusing you with someone else

Yeah, sorry we don't have too much of an online presence. There is no website, just the bandcamp page and half-dead profiles on Facebook, Soundcloud and Myspace. However, it's always easy to find me on Facebook as well as our guitar player Konstantin Benyumov - we both go under our real names there.
    True but I do not like random people messaging me out of the blue and I extend that courtesy to others as well

That's an interesting question to which I don't have an easy answer. I've been thinking it over and over again during the last few weeks. I'm firmly inclined to keep the bass player in the line-up, and thankfully, it seems he wants to carry on as well (even though naturally playing in Uphill Work doesn't bring him any financial gains - he makes his living by doing session work). As for our guitarist, we'll see how it goes, but so far I think I'd prefer not to replace him but rather leave this place vacant in order for him to be able to get back to us once he returns home after his foreign contract expires. IMO, it would be more interesting to try different instruments (strings? woodwinds? electronics? whoever and whichever is available) to cover up his absence and then in a few years keep them all on board while adding him back as well. That's just an idea though - I'm not yet sure what is going to come out of it.
    It is interesting that you mention your bass player does sessions. Are any of the other members involved in music beyond the band itself? I had found your profile on FB a while back and saw you are a correspondent for a TV channel. I always thought since you're already in media, it might be a bit easier to promote yourselves since you already knew all the important people.

Also, regarding your guitarist, he was a breath of fresh air when I first heard him. I recall bugging my guitarist to listen to you since it was the first time in a long while I had heard a guitarist who played only clean tones. The idea to not replace him and fill in his space with other instruments seems like an interesting idea to me.

Another possibility is swapping files online (I know many people do this nowadays - like, I send a basic track, he puts down a few guitar parts and send them back to me, and so it goes until a song is ready). That's not out of order either, although it would require quite a bit of work for me, as I'm totally computer illiterate, I don't use any musical software and hardly even know how to record a piano part on my hard drive. However, we always loved challenging ourselves musically, so that can be seen as just a new kind of challenge. On the other hand, this way I'm afraid we're going to miss the live feel and the kind of teamwork which is only possible when the band is actually rehearsing music and seeing each other in person one or two times a week. Perhaps a combination of two approaches that I outlined might work best in the current situation, though as said, so far it's all just guesswork on my part.
    This really surprised me. I always thought you guys recorded digitally as most bands do nowadays with you personally involved somehow. So to find out you know very little of that style of working is quite unusual (no offense).

Regarding the lack of live feel, yes, you will miss that I know since I have a band myself where all the members live in the same city and we still don't get to meet up very often. I've been reduced to writing and recording demos mostly alone with the other members contributing their parts as and when they can. This resulted in for instance, one song being worked on for close to a month and a half. Not too bad but given that I was done with the basic framework in about 20 days, not exactly ideal. Still, it's better than nothing at all, right?

Thanks again, man. I guess that's bound to remain either way as I've been writing most of the tunes for Uphill Work throughout these years and will likely continue doing it. And most of them are borne out of piano improvisations that I do here at home while my wife and kids are away, so that's hardly going to change
    Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by aksnitd
    True but I do not like random people messaging me out of the blue and I extend that courtesy to others as well
    Yeah I know what you mean, but working as a journalist for many years I'm so used to it now that it doesn't bother me at all anymore. In fact that was one of the reasons for me to join Facebook in the first place. This way I at least have random people messaging me rather than searching for my phone number and calling me like they used to do previously! Besides, once a random guy expresses interest in Uphill Work, he immediately stops being random
    It is interesting that you mention your bass player does sessions. Are any of the other members involved in music beyond the band itself?
    Our drummer plays for various bands in addition to Uphill Work. Neither of them are prog, though - in fact, they are mostly cover bands. I don't think I even know all of them, the one I remember seeing live performed tunes by the likes of Beatles and Kinks.
    I had found your profile on FB a while back and saw you are a correspondent for a TV channel. I always thought since you're already in media, it might be a bit easier to promote yourselves since you already knew all the important people.
    That was helpful in getting our first two CDs released on a label and also in sending copies to reviewers (I usually just invite them for a beer!). But that's all.
    Also, regarding your guitarist, he was a breath of fresh air when I first heard him. I recall bugging my guitarist to listen to you since it was the first time in a long while I had heard a guitarist who played only clean tones.
    This is interesting, I'm gonna quote this bit when I see him next time Truth is, he may not be a virtuoso (none of us are), but IMO he's been getting better and better as time went by, not just technically, but in terms of creative imagination. He plays some very intricate things on "Missing Opportunities", I was not really aware he had it in him.
    This really surprised me. I always thought you guys recorded digitally as most bands do nowadays with you personally involved somehow. So to find out you know very little of that style of working is quite unusual (no offense).
    Oh, absolutely - we just rehearse and then go to the studio when we feel that time is right and lay down our tracks there. We don't even have means to record our rehearsals - it's all done in a very old-fashioned, very live way. So there are basically no demo versions of the songs to speak of, everything gets written, arranged and polished during the rehearsals, and then we book a studio and hopelessly try to play it without too many mistakes
    I know since I have a band myself where all the members live in the same city and we still don't get to meet up very often. I've been reduced to writing and recording demos mostly alone with the other members contributing their parts as and when they can. This resulted in for instance, one song being worked on for close to a month and a half. Not too bad but given that I was done with the basic framework in about 20 days, not exactly ideal. Still, it's better than nothing at all, right?
    So, what's the name of your band? I'm sorry I have a feeling that we might know each other, but your PE moniker doesn't look familiar, and there is not much info in your profile (I'm not sure the new PE has the "real name" option in members' profiles at all). I'd be curious to hear what you're doing! Regarding time we spend on music, I'd say a month and a half is very generous. Some of the songs that you hear on "Missing Opportunities" (for example "Leave it to Paul" or "A Troubled Rhymemaker") have been basically written, like, 4 years ago! And yet we couldn't decide on their final sound until very recently - the background organ part in "Leave it to Paul" was improvised on a whim during the recording, and "A Troubled Rhymemaker" has been played on Rhodes rather than the usual acoustic piano (though since then we rearranged it again and have been performing it live in a much crazier way with busier piano/guitar interplay instead of pounding chords).

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars
    If youve been to the 2009 RIO we might have met on the shuttle to and from Albi,
    I seem to remember some heated discussions about Polite Refusal vs Auktzyon, but I might be confusing you with someone else
    Yeah I love them equally, so that might have been someone else! Two of the greatest Russian bands, heads and shoulders above anything else from our country - and certainly, both huge influences on my own humble songwriting. I still think Polite Refusal is an obvious pick for the RIO festival - they will be a surprise highlight for plenty of folks there. Amazing live band, and firmly within the avant-rock aesthetic (unlike Auktyon who are awesome as well, but probably more of a "best kept secret" of Russian music since they don't really fit in any Western style at all).

So where do I start with Auktzyon assuming I can find anything.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My favourite and a great to start with is Ptiza (I hope I spelled it correct)
    I was extremely fortunate to see several shows by both Polite Refusal and Auktion (and I dont live in russia nor speak the language )

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    My favourite and a great to start with is Ptiza (I hope I spelled it correct)
    I was extremely fortunate to see several shows by both Polite Refusal and Auktion (and I dont live in russia nor speak the language )
    Ok bought that one
    Ian

Yes, "Ptiza" is awesome, each and every song is an instant classic. The relatively recent "Devushki Poyut" ("Girls sing") is another great one with plenty of high-profile New York musicians helping out (Marc Ribot, John Medeski and others). Finally, "Bodun" is a must have with some of their darkest songwriting ever. I love them all, though, but admittedly the earlier albums are an acquired taste as they are a bit more primitive and less refined. So you'd be better off working your way backwards through their discography.

Can't help but do a little BUMP here, 'cause "Missing Opportunities" is now on Progstreaming!

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pag...+Opportunities

Woohoo! Please give it a listen if you haven't yet, and if you like what you hear follow the link to our Bandcamp page for fast, easy, convenient name-your-price downloads. I have also recently implemented merch option for those still into good old physical goods.

Immense thanks to Markwin (Sunhillow) for featuring us on Progstreaming. Our previous CD, "Dribs / Drabs" was one of the first albums to be streamed there, and it's great to see this excellent resource soldiering on for 4 years that passed between that one and the new Uphill Work album.

I'll listen to this as soon as I'm home from work this afternoon. It's whisky-weekend so I suspect it'll be a blast! (Not much neither music nor whisky when I have the kids every second weekend).
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Listening now, Lev - and this is just GREAT stuff. Quirky yet accessible, intensely playful but melodic, "oddball" yes - but clever as hell.

Congrats with this!

Happy Friday Folks -

I'm listening to some tracks from 'Uphill Works' as we speak!

Very Nice Indeed.... reminds me immediately of a very pleasant find in my collection. William D. Drake 'The Rising of the Light' Only release of his I own (are/is there more)
    Anyway Drake was a 'WOW!' from the first listen. Think I'll enjoy this release as well!

Way to go Mr. Levgan

Chris Buckley

Gave this a cursory listen in the office and will definitely have to follow up with a real listen. Enjoyed what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor
    Listening now, Lev - and this is just GREAT stuff. Quirky yet accessible, intensely playful but melodic, "oddball" yes - but clever as hell.
    That rules man, I'm really happy to know you liked it. Actually your opinion is the one I was particularly anxious about, 'cause I have long known you as a very experienced and discerning listener. While I'm always glad to hear praise and / or criticism (anything really, except direct insults though even those are sometimes funny!), it means much more when it comes from someone whose opinions on music you tend to trust and hold in high regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs
    Very Nice Indeed.... reminds me immediately of a very pleasant find in my collection. William D. Drake 'The Rising of the Light' Only release of his I own (are/is there more)
    Anyway Drake was a 'WOW!' from the first listen. Think I'll enjoy this release as well!
    Thanks Chris, great observation there as William D. Drake is of course an awesome artist and a huge inspiration. Can't say I know his solo stuff by heart - in fact "The Rising of the Light" is the only one I heard (but liked very much!). But his playing in Cardiacs was uniformly fantastic, and while I love each and every album that band recorded, it's the albums by the 6-piece version of the band, with Drake's keys to the fore, that I usually reach for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t
    Gave this a cursory listen in the office and will definitely have to follow up with a real listen. Enjoyed what I heard.
    I prefer IPA too, but I've no idea how you did that emoticon - can't find it in the menu on the right hand side! So, raising a pint of lager here for lack of other options

To all - thanks for your replies, please spread the word about Uphill Work if you like the music! I had a couple of folks buying our CDs on Bandcamp today, which is absolutely amazing - we have previously only sold our music on the shows. Keep the feedback coming!