Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: [Video] Yes - Close To The Edge Organ Solos - Wakeman, Wakeman, Brlisin, Downes

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I mentioned Themes (Post #108). That came out in '98. There are Rick's Retro discs (2006-7), loaded with throwback style compositions recorded with analog gear. Lots o' good stuff there if you're into that. I mean, if you enjoy Rick going nuts on a synth patch like on "Section Seven" from Themes, even if those are digital sounds, there's plenty to like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC7w3kal2RQ

2000 A.D. (1991) is a really uneven album, but it ends with an uptempo rouser called "The Seventh Dimension." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0UBpoyI-dE
    Sorry I missed your earlier post.

2000AD isn't a terrible album. I wouldn't go much further than that...

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Tom Brislin? Seriously??? Downes could only wish he lived a second life to compose songs like Tom did on the two Spiraling albums (Transmitter & Time Travel Made Easy), do we even need to mention this stuff? Yet alone his solo album "Smell The Roses." Aside from those excellent albums, the guy can cover YES music, as well Camel, Renaissance, and others like a true champ.
    Yeah, I'm not all that familiar with most of Spiraling, but Hurry Up and Smell the Roses is an excellent album.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    What has Downes done since then which has connected beyond die-hard fans either?? Nothing on your list, that's for sure...and being pedantic, your Fly From Here tracks also pre-date 1983. Using '2011' for that is very disingenuous...and I wouldn't call that an 'awesome' album either, really.

You're always very critical of Wakeman in particular and I'm not sure why, it's outright bias IMHO. I'm not the one making great claims for late-period work here so I don't have to back anything up.
    FFH disappointed. Alpha isn't even as good as Asia. Vox Humana consists partly of rerecorded material. Only Downes aficionados keep that one around.

IMHO, The World Service is very good, sort of a later era companion to his NDO from 1986 or 87.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    IMHO, The World Service is very good, sort of a later era companion to his NDO from 1986 or 87.
    It's not bad, but those are some really short comps/improvs.

^That's one of the things I like about it. Some of the pieces are a minute or a minute and half long, little sonic "vignettes."

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Tom Brislin? Seriously??? Downes could only wish he lived a second life to compose songs like Tom did on the two Spiraling albums (Transmitter & Time Travel Made Easy), do we even need to mention this stuff? Yet alone his solo album "Smell The Roses."
    Do you need to mention it? Well, no-one else had, so, yeah, guess so! ;-)

Would you suggest any camples? I listened to bits at the time and wasn't particularly bowled over.

What has Downes done since then which has connected beyond die-hard fans either?? Nothing on your list, that's for sure...and being pedantic, your Fly From Here tracks also pre-date 1983. Using '2011' for that is very disingenuous...and I wouldn't call that an 'awesome' album either, really.
    Well, we all like different things and that's fine. I love the two recent DBA albums, for example, and they appear to have sold OK: whether they've "connected beyond die-hard fans", I'm not sure. Either way, I'm looking forward to album 3, with Lee Pomeroy and possibly Andy Partridge.

You're always very critical of Wakeman in particular and I'm not sure why, it's outright bias IMHO. I'm not the one making great claims for late-period work here so I don't have to back anything up.
    I'm not certain how it can be bias... or maybe I mean it's obviously bias? I like what I like, JJ. I don't claim my tastes are any better or worse than anyone else's. I just like some stuff and don't like some other stuff, and am then kinda middling on some more stuff. I'm not certain what you expect from me? Was I meant to swear to like all Yes keyboardists equally or something?

I try to write on Yes's history from a neutral point of view with respect to what I think of the output, but I have my own likes and dislikes, and I think I'm allowed to mention them. To my ears, the worst bit of Fragile are Wakeman's arpeggios on "Heart of the Sunrise", while "Subway Walls" is a great song.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^It's the implication that Downes makes more relevant music than their other keyboard players that I find a real stretch. What makes this material more 'memorable' than what the others are doing?

I like Downes on his own stuff, just not when playing Wakeman's. And I try not to judge him overall on the latter.

Wakeman was on 4 of the 6 studio albums made in their (IMHO, others will obviously disagree) 1971-7 creative peak. That right there buys him an awful lot of credibility, in my view, and also respect. I feel, rightly or wrongly, that you often play that down.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-12-2017 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Would you suggest any camples? I listened to bits at the time and wasn't particularly bowled over.
    From Transmitter:

From Time Travel Made Easy:

This one's my favorite from the first album. I've actually convinced two different people to check the band out based on this one song.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

don't click on that
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Sorry, having issues embedding.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    IMHO "Subway Walls" wouldn't even be the best track on the first Starcastle album. So if that's the best that H&E has to offer...
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Since posing this question, a variety of opinions have been expressed. No-one has suggested any compositions by O Wakeman or Brislin, and nothing by R Wakeman since 1983 or Moraz since 1985. If you're speculating on a best keyboardist for Yes today, I suggest having written something memorable in the last 30 years would be one criterion worth using.

Henry
    But I'm *not* speculating about who is the best keyboardist for the rump bands calling themselves 'Yes' these days, because I could hardly care less. I'm only addressing the (to me) extraordinary claim that Downes is on par with Wakeman as a musician. And I'm allowing for both of them at their best, not comparing Downes's best with Wakeman's worst or vice versa.

Getting back to the original intent of the thread, I found one aspect of this little experiment particularly fascinating...Regardless of how much I preferred one performance or another, what I found most interesting is that, particularly with Wakeman, Moraz, and Downes...The part they played SOUNDED like them...I'm not sure how much was technique or style or sound choice or some combination, but they each had a kind of signature sound, and while I might prefer one more than another, I think that's kind of cool...I'm not familiar enough with Brislin's or Khoroshev's or Wakeman Jr.'s work apart from Yes to say if that holds true for them, but it seems to me that those three pretty much just sound a lot like Wakeman, which makes sense considering he played the original part.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net