Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Genesis 'Abacab' as originally conceived (2LP)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It's terrible. It was terrible then, it's terrible now. The peppy music and the catchy chorus just are destroyed by the lyrics and Phil's painful "accent" (and let's not forget all the chatter in the middle section! Ack). I used to like the song regardless because of the music but now I can't take it. It's kind of a dark spot in Genesis's history and I'd like to pretend it never happened.

"Silver Rainbow," on the other hand, is terrific and underrated. Fight me.
    And yet Sting got away with singing with a fake Jamaican accent all the time.

But I do agree Phil's "accent" doen't hold up well. I don't mind the chatter and car horn sounds and all.

I actually watched the video today - it's not good, but then none of their videos are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I actually watched the video today - it's not good, but then none of their videos are very good.
    Abacab itself was a good video. So was Man On The Corner (like that version better than the studio take, actually). The Turn It On Again video was another I liked, likewise for Follow You Follow Me. Many Too Many wasn't bad either. Mind you, I'm naming all the videos where it's just the band miming the song (or actually playing it live, in the case of Man On The Corner).

But like with a lot of bands, when they tried to do "conceptual" stuff, it got kinda naff. I liked the Anything She Does video, but then, I always did like Benny Hill. Tonight Tonight Tonight had the benefit of being shot in the Bradbury Building.

Land Of Confusion is a good one IMO! And I know you don't like Jesus He Knows Me, but at least there's bikini babes in that one. Tony Banks said he enjoyed that.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Land Of Confusion is a good one IMO! And I know you don't like Jesus He Knows Me, but at least there's bikini babes in that one. Tony Banks said he enjoyed that.
    At the time, it was nice that Genesis rated the Spitting Image treatment, but I find it all a bit hard to watch now.

Paperlate is okay, but another one I can take or leave. I do like the story behind its creation though, with Phil singing part of the Moonlit Knight opening into the mic during soundcheck, and it morphing into its own song!
    Interesting. I always wondered how that odd word became so prominent in their catalog.

Always really liked that track, I never skip it. Sometimes the ballad-type tracks work for me, if they are well written. That's why I always point to Throwing It All Away as a song I quite like too, especially the final, quieter verse that begins with "Someday you'll be sorry, someday when you're free..." - bear in mind, I intensely dislike the live intro Phil used to do for that song.
    Agree with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "Silver Rainbow," on the other hand, is terrific and underrated. Fight me.
    I always thought that this was established fact.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

In England there used to be both an early and a late edition newspaper. When the late edition paper came out, the newsboys selling the papers on the sidewalk would yell, "PAPERLATE! PAPERLATE!" We had a similar sort of thing in the U.S. with the phrase, "EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!"

Thank you, Internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    In England there used to be both an early and a late edition newspaper. When the late edition paper came out, the newsboys selling the papers on the sidewalk would yell, "PAPERLATE! PAPERLATE!" We had a similar sort of thing in the U.S. with the phrase, "EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!"

Thank you, Internet!
    \
    The NY Post and Daily News used to have early and late editions, not that long ago. Maybe they still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post

Thank you, Internet!
    They were actually yelling LATE PAPER LATE PAPER but the repetition made it sound like Paperlate
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Actually they were yelling Paper - Latte, Paper - Latte because you got a free Latte when you bought a paper. Those were the days!

At the time, it was nice that Genesis rated the Spitting Image treatment, but I find it all a bit hard to watch now.

Not me. Still one of my favorite Genesis Videos and songs.

Listened to the Abacab Album/DVD earlier today. I stlll love it and the accompanying videos. Probably among my top 5 Genesis studio albums.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I liked the video when it came out, but in the long run, it ruined the song for me. I can't even listen to it.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I liked the video when it came out, but in the long run, it ruined the song for me. I can't even listen to it.
    How can a video ruin a song? The extended version found on Archives 2 improved the song for me. Same with the 27 minute extended version of "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight"

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    How can a video ruin a song? The extended version found on Archives 2 improved the song for me. Same with the 27 minute extended version of "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight"
    Assume 27 minutes is a typo and you’re talking about the 12” version of Tonight Tonight Tonight that’s just under 12 minutes long?

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Assume 27 minutes is a typo and you’re talking about the 12” version of Tonight Tonight Tonight that’s just under 12 minutes long?
    It seems that it goes on for 27 minutes but in a good way.