Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Netherlands: Your Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    How on Earth could I forget? One of the very best!
    I know, me too! I really enjoy that Bonfire album and don’t know how it could have escaped me! Also the only gold disc CD I own!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Although Alquin moved quit a bit away from Prog with the entrance of Ekseption vocalist Michael van Dijk I still enjoy them very much.
    I’m a bit of two minds on early Alquin, as while they were musically excellent, the vocals were dire! Michel van Dijk was a marked improvement in the vocal department, but I agree, even though they moved away from prog, Nobody Can Wait Forever and Best Kept Secret are still high quality “classic rock” albums!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The first two Solution albums are rather cool; they were far less overtly adventurous than SSister (or Pantheon), but there was a sense of soul'ish melodicism to them which I kinda liked. It was Thomas Barlage of Solution who wrote the main theme for the tune which later became Focus' "Tommy", and it's somewhere on one of those first two Solutions as I recall.
    Those first two albums are fine fusion, and the second has some delightfully creepy cover art! After that, they went on to make some extremely dull Fuzak-type of elevator music with pop tendencies (the vocal parts).

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The first Spin was lovely:
    Spin was essentially Ekseption Mk. II. Incidentally, before you write off Ekseption as a cheesy pop-classical act with wimpy horn charts, you need to hear Mindmirror. One of the most underrated Dutch prog discs, and it’s hiding in plain sight!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That vid made me miss the 1990s.
    It made me glad they’re a thing of the past.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Echoing the sentiments for Bonfire, Anomaly, Super Sister, Het, and a lot of the fusion output old and new, Jasper vant Hoff, Eef Albers, Seb Corneilessen, Franz Vollink, Richard Hallebeek, as well as progmetal tinged band's like Splinter, Lemur Voice, Penny's Twisted Flavour, Arabesque, Joop Wolters, Sun Caged.

Thanks for this nice thread on my home country.
    My two cents....
    Best Dutch album ever: To The World of the future by Earth and Fire
    Runner Up: Merlin by Kayak.

I must say my love for Dutch progressive doesn't go much beyond these two bands (which I really like). OK, some Finch, Focus, a one off album by Oblique (great!), some stuff by Rick van der Linden, ahum...

We also have some electronics, here are a few to mention:
    Ron Boots - Acoustic shadows. Ron grew up from a pretty simple player to a real great synthman. This album is his peak IMHO.
    Free System Project - Gent 4. From the live album. FSP is much in TD vain, very nice to hear. This track however is something special!
    Jurriaan Andriessen - The Awakening Dream (I grew up with this album, I don't think many people like it)
    Peru - Constellations (nice Korg MS-20 / Monopoly stuff)

And how on earth could I forget Pythagoras. A group with people I knew.
    Bob de Jong (drums) owned a recordstore I frequented
    René de Haan (keyboards) we have played music together and I bought his electric piano

Ad van der Kouwe (who did the alternative cover, when they weren't allowed to use the drawing they used originally (though it is used for the CD rerelease)) was a schoolmate of mine and we made music together.

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    ... as well as progmetal tinged band's like ... Lemur Voice ...

- From their first album "Insights":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vzA...PRfG8s6ymKtc-M
    Last edited by TCC; 04-19-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

My favorite Dutch band is also one of my favorite bands period. Golden Earring turned out two consecutive albums, Moontan (1973) followed by Switch (1975) that I consider some of the best rock ever. Radar Love made them famous but Moontan should be listened to in it's entirety to truly appreciate what they had going on. And Switch, while it didn't enjoy the commercial success of Moontan, is arguably even a better album.

Here's a track from Switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KnoN13rQgc
    ...I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not.
    AC

Egdon Heath, Light (still remember how I paid $35 for that only Light CD Japan edition... back then)...

Earth & Fire are probably tops for me, but from a somewhat limited period. I think their first three albums and most of the singles from that era are sensational in so many respects. Their melodies were often so well crafted, but sometimes their arranging left a bit to be desired. Overall, a simply great pop/prog band, IMO, but after Atlantis is just gets worse and worse.

Supersister is also towards the top, as is Focus. Both of these bands were delightful overall, even if both have elements I find haven't aged well for me.

I dig Cargo. That 15 minute jam with questionable tuning oozes something special underneath. Wishbone Ash gone to space or something, I guess.

Solution are good. Like Alquin certainly their first couple of records are very good. Finch are not my bag. Overplaying and questionable arranging skills don't add up to even poor man's Focus for me.

Kayak have their quality moments for sure, as do Golden Earring ...

What else ... ?

Oh, Mr. Albert Show!

And how could I forget Group 1850!? Their early psych stuff is fascinating but Polyandri is just a killer record!

Ekseption have moments and Trace are pretty good, but this just isn't the kind of stuff I find myself all that interested in these days.

while there are many solid Prog albums from the Netherlands, these are the very best IMO
    of the artists least spoken about
    Trace
    Chris Hinze
    Jasper Van't Hof
    and
    Scope
    created some truly excellent albums

Ekseption had a run of great albums in the mid-70s
    and the Lady Lake album is a one-off that's really great

here are my top shelf Prog albums from that part of the world:

Finch Glory of the Inner Force
    Focus Hamburger Concerto
    Trace Trace
    Finch Beyond Expression
    Focus Moving Waves (aka Focus II)
    Hinze Combination, Chris Sister Slick
    Trace Birds
    Van't Hof, Jasper Eye-Ball
    Akkerman, Jan / Claus Ogerman Aranjuez (aka Collage)
    Anomaly Anomaly
    Ekseption 5
    Ekseption Trinity
    Ekseption Bingo
    Ekseption Mindmirror
    Focus Focus 3
    Hinze Combination, Chris Mission Suite
    Lady Lake No Pictures
    Scope Scope
    Scope II
    Akkerman, Jan Profile
    Akkerman, Jan Tabernakel
    Akkerman, Jan Jan Akkerman
    Akkerman, Jan It Could Happen to You (aka Complete Guitarist)
    Ekseption / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra 00.04
    Elysion The Wonder Years
    Finch The Making of...Galleons of Passion / Stage '76
    Finch Galleons of Passion
    Focus Live at the Rainbow
    Focus Focus 8
    Gamma Darts
    Keyboard Circle, The 1976
    Spin Spin
    Trace White Ladies
    Van Leer, Thijs Nice to Have Met You
    Van't Hof, Jasper However
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

one new-ish band who put out a very good album in 1998 that deserves more attention is
    Elysion - The Wonder Years
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    and the Lady Lake album is a one-off that's really great
    Not a one-off anymore that the band reformed and recorded at least one album (Supercleandreammachine) since.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I still have a love for the first album by Thomas Flinter:

Would love to see that one on CD.

I still have a love for the first album by Thomas Flinter:

Would love to see that one on CD.
    I mentioned that one earlier, I like it a lot as well and agree that I'd love it to be released on CD. It may actually have been you that brought it my attention a while back, it was definitely someone at PE. Worth checking out for sure!

Bill

one new-ish band who put out a very good album in 1998 that deserves more attention is
    Elysion - The Wonder Years
    not entirely sure but I think that was recorded at Joop's house. most of what Joop Wolters has been involved in is pretty darn good. Arabesque is another band from the Netherlands. Lemur Voice already mentioned but gotta give a nod to their mastermind. Marcel Coenen (Sun Caged) is a fuckin beast

i.ain't.dead.irock

Keyboard Circle, The 1976
    Just got me a copy of this album, after buying a 3CD-compilation of The Rob Franken Electrification.

Absolute favourite Dutch albums :
    1. Trace - Birds
    2. Golden Earring - Moon Tan (make sure you get the version that includes "Big Tree"!)
    3. Earth & Fire - Atlantis

Being Dutch my all time favorite dutch album is: the Nits - Urk

De Kift - Koper is my favorite. When a De Kift concert is over, I’m always happy. Great music with a punk and brass twist.

Just got me a copy of this album, after buying a 3CD-compilation of The Rob Franken Electrification.

Nice!!.
    Looking for ... !!
    Thanks!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Nice!!.
    Looking for ... !!
    Thanks!
    http://www.678records.com/ssecd001.html The Keyboard Circle's 1976 from the source.

In 1976, the pianists Rob Franken en Jan Huydts both lived in Soest (Netherlands). They hung out together a lot, and shared their love for newly developed key instruments. Both of them were Fender Rhodes electric piano pioneers. Rob Franken's piano virtuosity is to be recognized on as many as four hundred records. In 1976, he had his own trio and performed with the Dutch funk fusion formation ‘Scope’ from the city of Zwolle. In this band, he met with drummer Henk Zomer, whom he was very impressed with.

At the end of 1975, Rob Franken came to the idea to start a new formation based on the combination of different consonance colors by combining Fender pianos with synthesizers, string cabinets and other electronic key instruments. Jan Huydts, who was experienced in making experimental music through his formations ‘Basic Train’ and ‘Third Eye’, thought this was a good idea. They decided to arrange their key instruments in a circle during their performances and so the ‘The Keyboard Circle’ was born.

The two musicians composed their own repertoire out of their own compositions and music covers. For example, on this record we find the Scopesong ‘Tamotua’, Kenny Dorham’s ‘Blue Bossa’ and Eddie Henderson’s ‘The Kumquat Kids’. They decided to play the bass lines themselves, one by one, on a bass synth, while the other was playing his solo. The drums of Henk Zomer, clearly inspired by Jack DeJonetthe and Tony Williams, became the driving force.

Soon after a few rehearsals the first performances took place. One of these first performances is to be found on this CD, recorded on February 8, 1976 in youth centre ‘De Trucker’ in Pijnacker, near The Hague. Han Reiziger, producer for VPRO radio had a craze for special jazz music and was not afraid to show his admiration for Rob Franken's work. He is the instigator of this special recording, that for reasons that aren't clear were never broadcasted. Whilst researching for a radio documentary the maker ran up against these tapes, which everyone had forgotten existed.

To begin with, the soundscape that reveals itself to you when listening to ‘The Keyboard Circle’ is a unique product of its time. Grounded in the mid seventies it’s no less than the works of Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea of those days. Exuberant swing and virtuous solos will find their way through your core. At the same time, the music is subdued in a typically Dutch manner. Most importantly, this music has its own sound, which can't compare to anything you’ve ever heard before.

Unfortunately, ‘The Keyboard Circle’ died at a young age. While Franken was Jean ‘Toots’ Thielemans' regular pianist, he had multiple radio and television performances, taught at the conservatory and above all, he was one of the most frequently programmed Dutch musicians during the seventies. Because of the immense amount of gigs Rob Franken was offered, performances were frequently cancelled at short notice. For this reason, Jan Huydts decided to quit after a while. This became irreversible by the sudden death of Rob Franken in 1983. Unfortunately, no record was ever released. Now this time has come. By listening to the CD you finally have the chance to get to know ‘The Keyboard Circle’. This rectification in the history of Dutch jazz music was a necessary one. And so: the circle is round.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Being Dutch my all time favorite dutch album is: the Nits - Urk
    Do you own Torni?

My favorite artist would probably be

Focus
    Jasper van't Hoff
    Supersister

http://www.678records.com/ssecd001.html The Keyboard Circle's 1976 from the source.
    Thanks!!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Marakesh, Dordrecht, Zuid-Holland, the Netherlands. Album : Marakesh (1976)

Jan van Dongen (organ, piano, strings, vocals),
    Evert Houtman (guitar),
    Dick de Jong (saxophone, flute, vocals),
    Wout Prins (bass, vocals),
    Ronnie Willemse (guitar),
    Henk Zijderveld (drums, percussion),
    Dave in 't Veld (trumpet)

01 -Will she come?
    https://youtu.be/uCmhnHMj9qQ

02 Autumn DY 49
    https://youtu.be/kyfgpDTARCA

03 Moonshadows
    https://youtu.be/Osi2HrlrilY

04 I will stay
    https://youtu.be/PAl7HkwpFb8

05 Sentimental dream
    https://youtu.be/MNajibkaDE4

06 Haunted man
    https://youtu.be/bOy4CLvIOGw

07 Will you do it?
    https://youtu.be/stdNZre1KOY
    Last edited by APJU; 05-10-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Pat Cool, Limburg, the Netherlands - Album : Daybreak (1973)

Gé Titulaer - keyboards, flute, vocals ;
    Huub Timmermans - organ, piano ;
    Tom van der Schoot - bass ;
    Peter Tiggelers - drums, percussion.

https://youtu.be/MqAtEal0zMQ