Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Netherlands: Your Favorites

The Netherlands: Your Favorites

It has been a while since we have had a discussion on PE about music from The Netherlands. While most are familiar with a few heavy hitters like Focus, Finch, Kayak, Supersister, and Golden Earring, there was a lot of other interesting music that came out of The Netherlands in the 70s and 80s and then later with the neo prog movement.

What are some of your favorites. I'll kick off with one of my favorites Alquin's Marks from 1972. I discovered this when issued on CD as a 2-on-1 with The Mountain Queen (which is also quite good). A mixture of British prog-rock influences with jazz, canterbury touches, and a few moments that feel like a long lost Camel album, this hits many of the right buttons for me.

So what are some of your favorites and lost gems from the land of the Dutch?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Alquin's first two albums are rather good.

TBH, I was never a big fan of many of those Dutch projects involving the symphonic classics like Trace, Ekseption or Flairck.

Finch, Focus and Supersister is my podium on the "jazzy side"... Early Solution is also right up there.

Blast (90's RIO/Avant), Cargo's sole album, 70's Golden Earring (hard Rock) and Spinvis (weird dutch text collages) are also right up there in their own category

For the poppier side of the NL, I simply never got into Diesel, and I remained hermetic to The Nits
    Last edited by Trane; 04-16-2017 at 06:27 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The bands you mentioned are all quite good-to-excellent (IMO), with a nod to Supersister as my fav Dutch oldie. Not a fan of Earth & Fire or Rick van der Linden (Ekseption/Trace) here, btw.

60s/70s:

Boudewijn de Groot: Picknick
    Woorden: s/t
    Groep 1850: Paradise Now
    Mr. Albert Show: Warm Motor
    Mayfly: s/t
    Pantheon: Orion
    Gamma: Alpha
    Irolt: Kattekwea
    HET Pandorra: III
    Flairck: Variations on a Lady

After that: just about ANYTHING by The Nits, The Ex, They Saved Hitler's Brain by Dull Schicksal, the s/t debut of Use of Ashes, the whole catalog of Blast and Brown vs. Brown.

I think that horde of 90s/2000s/2010s Dutch neo-symph-metal phenomena sits squarely amongst the absolute worst and cheesiest contributions to this alleged "genre" I've personally encountered, but that's just me. When there are occasional exceptions, such as that release by Plackband, it turned out to be an older act reforming to release their bygone stuff of yore.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 04-15-2017 at 06:27 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have to go with MODEST MIDGET, just love everything they do.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

and how could i forget LADY LAKE!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

.. oh thanks. First video of the thread and it's now on my want list

A recent fave from there is female guitarist Corrie van Binsbergen.

Here from the project Corrie en de Grote Brokken (2006) and her response to Franks' Shut and Play Your Guitar

and here a short recent vid from her project Playstation

Woo - so many to list. Lots of good ones mentioned already, and I'll let others pile in with obscure bands, of which there are many. From a mainstream perspective, I have to say that I still really enjoy Earth & Fire. And To The World of the Future is a much overlooked album that is really quite brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I think that horde of 90s/2000s/2010s Dutch neo-symph phenomena sits squarely amongst the absolute worst and cheesiest contributions to this alleged "genre" I've personally encountered, but that's just me. When there are occasional exceptions, such as that release by Plackband, it turned out to be an older act reforming to release their bygone stuff of yore.
    Agreed for the most part. But I have to give a shout out to Cliffhanger, who did an admirable job of recreating the early Genesis spirit (and sound) verse the 80s variation of such. And their instrumental offshoot NoVox is also quite excellent.

>Mr. Albert Show: Warm Motor

Liking this...

Of those mentioned already, I like Plackband (and their reformation as PBII), and also Cliffhanger. Amongst the cheesy neo-prog of the current era, I would recommend the early albums of Knight Area, also Silhouette, Ixion, and on the heavier side, Sky Architect.

Symphonic: Lethe

Berlin School: Free System Projekt

Pop/Singer-songwriter: Frank Boeijen

More obscure choices: the previously-mentioned Lethe (I can’t get enough of that one!), their female-fronted precursor Mirror, and Saga. Their one album, To Whom It Concerns, certainly won’t win any awards for originality, but I think it’s far and away superior to many more strongly fêted Genesis-inspired prog obscurities from the Germanic countries of the era (Neuschwanstein, Isopoda and Epidaurus come to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    After that: just about ANYTHING by The Nits, The Ex, They Saved Hitler's Brain by Dull Schicksal, the s/t debut of Use of Ashes, the whole catalog of Blast and Brown vs. Brown.
    The Nits are great, something along the lines of the Dutch answer to Split Enz, but they have their own personality and are very, very Dutch. In a good way, not in a Levenslied way!

I think that horde of 90s/2000s/2010s Dutch neo-symph-metal phenomena sits squarely amongst the absolute worst and cheesiest contributions to this alleged "genre" I've personally encountered, but that's just me. When there are occasional exceptions, such as that release by Plackband, it turned out to be an older act reforming to release their bygone stuff of yore.
    In general agreed, perhaps second only to the prolific output of bland neo-prog emerging from latter-day Poland, but I’d put Sky Architect in the category of exceptions. They started off good and just seem to get better with each successive release (I am surprised at the negative reviews A Billion Years of Solitude received; I think it’s the best traditional prog-oriented release out of the Low Countries in many a year).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Jon Neudorf
    I love Billion Years of Solitude. Great progressive rock album.

What about these little gems? (prog/psych)

- Ahora Mazda- same from 1970.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJUoCMWJucU

- Apartment 1- Open House. (1970)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GAvZlm0QII

- Cosmic Dealer - Crystallization. (1971).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcYsKLM8g_g

- Group 1850 - Paradise Now (1969).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDce_dSm4sk

- Fontessa - same (1973) - a favorite here!.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0MC...dEKmFjNn_hD9jL

// // //

- Kracq - Circumvision (1978). -- spacey-jazz rock-prog --
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3UkSkqigOA

// // //

- The Chris Hinze Combination - Mission Suite. (1973) -- jazz rock, instrumental, flute -- GooD!!--
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mU6PG_7FaI

// // //

Berlin school.:

- Gert Emmens & Ruud Heij - Return to The Origin. (2004)****
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMmFvY8nwMo

- Kubusschnitt - Entropy's Evolution (2010).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2Dh-XOu1E

// // //

- Blast ... as Scrot, everything as for Brown Vs Brown!.

// // //

- Star One - Space Metal (2002): bought this one because of David Bowie´s Space Oddity version!.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRxwZUg7oXU
    Last edited by TCC; 04-16-2017 at 04:41 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    ... But I have to give a shout out to Cliffhanger, who did an admirable job of recreating the early Genesis spirit (and sound) verse the 80s variation of such.
    +1.
    Agree!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Something a little more recent:

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I like a lot of what was already mentioned.

Also:

Bonfire - Goes Bananas
    35007 (Loose) - Liquid (great Spacerock)
    and I have a weak spot for Edgon Heath (although I'm not into Neo to much)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Bonfire - Goes Bananas
    How on Earth could I forget? One of the very best!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Speaking of Dutch Neo, this is one of the few Neo albums from the 1980s I really like; from the band Cirkel:

http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=2139
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    Symphonic: Lethe
    Lethe is nice, as is the predecessor group Mirror's album, entitled Daybreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Lethe is nice, as is the predecessor group Mirror's album, entitled Daybreak.
    Perpetual Chaaaaaange....... Ah, no (still a nice album)

Lethe is a nice one. Bought it from a former member of the group. Alas he didn't have any Mirror albums for sale.

For non prog, I still love Nits and more recent Blaudzun.

And for those who understand Dutch, there is Vreemde Kostgangers (a.k.a. Vrienten Kooymans & de Groot)

And of course I like:
    Alquin
    Earth & Fire
    Ekseption
    Focus
    Kayak
    Solution
    Trace

Although Alquin moved quit a bit away from Prog with the entrance of Ekseption vocalist Michael van Dijk I still enjoy them very much.

Lethe and Saga were both quite good for their style, I think. Both albums are to be found on YT in their entirety, IIRC.

Alquin weren't all too bad; I've got the Mountain Queen vinyl and used to listen to it quite a bit, finding it sounded somewhat like a lost Benelux Caravan release. I got the Esoteric CD of Marks too but haven't listened in ages.

The first two Solution albums are rather cool; they were far less overtly adventurous than SSister (or Pantheon), but there was a sense of soul'ish melodicism to them which I kinda liked. It was Thomas Barlage of Solution who wrote the main theme for the tune which later became Focus' "Tommy", and it's somewhere on one of those first two Solutions as I recall.

Ahora Mazda were - like Woorden - almost in the same class as Groep 1850 and the Outsiders and Q65 in their psych gusto. Freakier than the latter two, of course - although you could hardly GET any freakier than the 1850s.