Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hogarth & Isildurs Bane

Steve Hogarth & Isildurs Bane

11 April 2017 Isilidurs Bane & Steve Hogarth - Colours Not Found In Nature CD Pre-Order

cover_53120942017_r.jpg

This week I’m proud to announce the release of my collaboration with Swedish chamber-rock band Isildurs Bane (IB). We made an album called “Colours Not Found In Nature”.

IB were originally formed as a Progressive/Experimental rock band in 1976 and, over the years have developed and expanded into a full-blown mini-orchestra. (As you can see, there’s quite a lot of em!)

ib.jpg

I was introduced to IB by my chum, Richard Barbieri and have been added to their luminous list of collaborators (David Torn, Tony Levin, David Rhodes, Richard Barbieri, Pat Mastelotto ...to name but a few) before being invited last year to co-write their album.

I wrote the words and sang all the lead vocals, while the IB “orchestra” have composed and played the music. I recorded my voice in hotel rooms around the world during the Marillion tours of last year.

IB have allocated 1000 copies for me to sell at Racket Records. I will sign them all before they are posted out. After they are gone, you will be able to find the album at “Burning Shed” records, but do try Racket Records first for a signed copy.

I do hope you enjoy the songs.

h

Pre-order the album from Racket Records here.

Oooh....interesting. I've been wanting to check Isuldurs Bane out for a while now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oooh....interesting. I've been wanting to check Isuldurs Bane out for a while now.
    Have never heard of them but this sounds a good place to start!

IB is everything a great Prog Rock band should be - inventive, high quality musicianship, superb live show - but they have gone off the map after MIND Vol5 and have instead hosted their own mini-festival called IB Expo. That's where the collaborators joined. The difficulty was trying to obtain recordings of these collaborations, only (AFAIK) available on YouTube and on Facebook.

I am so very glad to anticipate the return of such a fabulous band. I recommend to everyone to sample their previous releases still available at most online retailers, and soon at Burning Shed. My other hope is that more of the IB Expo material and maybe even some of the side projects could be available some day.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Isildurs Bane - gets a lot of respect from PE members. Maybe this could find a new audience for Steve.

This was posted before in another thread on this collaboration:

The album will be available on April 14. As BrianG mentioned, the album - along with all the other currently available IB albums - will be available from Burning Shed (www.burningshed.com). In fact, they are taking pre-orders now.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    The album will be available on April 14. As BrianG mentioned, the album - along with all the other currently available IB albums - will be available from Burning Shed (www.burningshed.com). In fact, they are taking pre-orders now.
    Thanks! Ordered.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Loved IB at Nearfest '02..not much of an H fan...but I will have to check this out.

You may get an idea of what the album sounds like by listening to this audio teaser: https://soundcloud.com/ibexpo

Ordered via Racket

Had not heard of this. It should be a very interesting combination.

Just pre-ordered from Burning Shed. Scott's comment about hearing of IB but not hearing them (paraphrased) applies to me as well. They be sounding real nice!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Jesus, these two...what a match up. I'm in for anything H sings on...

IsildursBaneSteveHogarthFront.jpg ...and it's out today, April 14, 2017!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I ordered it a couple of days ago. First 1000 are signed by Hogarth.

You've been lucky, Steve's stash of 1000 copies sold out in a day. From now on, the ordering options are Burning Shed (UK), Just for Kicks (Germany), Record Heaven (Sweden) and Laser's Edge (US).

If you'd have chimed in earlier here I would have waited, Ken.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Have never heard of them
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    This was posted before in another thread on this collaboration:

I'll definitely be getting this as Isildur's = autobuy, but watching the vid was a little jarring. With this material, Steve shows a vocal "tic" that for me is somewhat off-putting, and he's one of my favorite vocalists. Fully expect to enjoy the disc though.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'll definitely be getting this as Isildur's = autobuy, but watching the vid was a little jarring. With this material, Steve shows a vocal "tic" that for me is somewhat off-putting, and he's one of my favorite vocalists. Fully expect to enjoy the disc though.
    What tic is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    What tic is that?
    Instead of singing it straight, every couple lines he elongates the word, and goes for forceful projection. It's a technique that works well when he does it at the end of a build-up (as he normally would,) but seems more like habit watching him take that intake of breath and "belt out" a word or phrase every other line.

Listened to Mind, Vol. 4 a few days ago. Should be interesting.

For those new to the MINDs of IB:
    MIND V.1 - (Not being reprinted - what a shame.) This was to me the most exciting and vibrant of these releases. It includes great melodies in the format of a voyage. I hope they decide to reprint this.
    MIND V.2 LIVE - Two CD live set includes most of the best parts of their previous work. Really great.
    MIND V.3 - A recording of mostly esoteric improv sessions with the Metamorphosi Trio at one of the first IB Expos. I've never listened all the way through.
    MIND V.4 - A real departure for them, with a great singer and shorter, stronger songs.
    MIND V.5 - Another wonderful live recording featuring new songs and songs from V.4.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is MIND V.1 the one with the part where chess moves are read aloud for a while? I remember this annoyed some people.