Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turntable recommendations

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    No sir, not yet. Still doing research. Another monkey-wrench thrown in the works is that my current amp (a Rotel RA-972 integrated solid state) doesn't have a phono stage. So, now I am either going to have to purchase an external phono stage, or purchase another amp with one. I like my Rotel but I know I can do better. Ideally, I would like to buy a Creek or Music Hall amp that get very good grades for their onboard phono stages, but of course it all comes down to bread.

Regarding Thorens - I spoke at length with a nice guy at Needle Doctor on a Thorens they had on sale, and he said STAY AWAY. He said he has seen multiple complaints over the past few years from quality issues, and although they have a legendary name and boast hefty price tags, he told me that he would never purchase a modern day Thorens. Too many problems popping up. Now, this is one guy's opinion, but he could have sold me on it by telling me it was great, but he went out of his way to not make the sale, and for that I was appreciative. He said Rega, Music Hall, VPI, Pro-ject, etc were all recommended ahead of Thorens. Food for thought....
    If you like your amp then keep it. A decent phono pre-amp isn't that expensive. Turntable electronics is not rocket science. It all comes down to the cartridge. As far as the mechanics go, is the plinth solid and as anti-resonate as possible? Is the platter not only anti-resonate but true and stable? Is the tone arm anti-resonate, adjustable in height, tracking force, anti-skate? Can you easily swap out cartridge mount headshells? Is the motor drive accurate and dependable? Almost all good to great turntables address the aforementioned issues. At the $500 price point I would expect a turntable to be more than competent in all these categories whether belt drive or direct drive. I wouldn't plunk down a lot of money on a turntable just because it had 'X-brand' cartridge and stylis. Buy a good quality platform with the ability to upgrade, or more accurately, expand. You may end up using different cartridges for different styles of music. Above the $250-$300 price range most any brand turntable has a tonearm that has a quick disconnect /connect headshell mounted cartridge, whether straight or s-shaped. Just get a good solid platform; plinth, platter, tonearm and drive. You can upgrade cartridges at your leisure and make no mistake, the cartridges are going to have the most obvious impact on the sound above a certain price point.

Auditioned the Planar 6 with Ania last weekend, think I found something I want...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Congratulatíons !

Thanks. The Planar 6 is just outstanding and the move to MC is one of the best upgrades, ever? Even signed by Roy Gandy!

I bought a Rega Planar 3 back in 1980 (or was it 81)? I still have it and after a major tune up and upgrade to the tone arm and cartridge, I am still happy with it. (I have no interest in upgrading, let's put it that way.) So what I'm saying is sometimes spending a little more now will save you lots of $$$ down the road. I wish I had upgraded the original cartridge to an Ortofon 2M Black, but I first put a 2M Blue on it and wasn't very happy with it. I now have a Dynavector DV-20X2H (high output MC) and a matching P75-MK 2 phono stage. The Dynavector is dead quiet and really minimized surface noise and clicks and pops, whereas the 2M Blue seemed to amplify them. One thing to consider with Rega TTs is that they don't have an adjustable anti-skating system. I think my old tonearm had a rubber band that eventually dried out and broke. Also, if you aren't using a Rega cartridge, you may have to add shims to raise the height, as I did with the Dynavector cartridge. Rega isn't the most user friendly TT out there and if I was starting out, I might look elsewhere. (I know, weird coming from a guy who has owned a Rega for almost 40 years).

One other thing to consider is getting a good platter mat. The Rega came with a felt mat that I didn't feel was all that stable or inert. I bought a reasonably priced 3rd party mat from Herbie's Audio Lab that I do recommend.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    The Dynavector is dead quiet and really minimized surface noise and clicks and pops, whereas the 2M Blue seemed to amplify them.
    My old Project had the 2M Blue, and I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    One other thing to consider is getting a good platter mat. The Rega came with a felt mat that I didn't feel was all that stable or inert. I bought a reasonably priced 3rd party mat from Herbie's Audio Lab that I do recommend.
    Funny you mention that, because my dealer nearly took off my head when I mentioned the mat. "Don't you think they would have put a better mat on if it wasn't good enough?"

I got the Planar6 with the Neo power supply and the Ania MC cartridge. The table itself is a 2017 "refresh", taking a lot from the P8 and handing it down. It's such a joy to hear, but I'm equally happy that it plays well with the rest of my system.
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 03-21-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Planar

A steam driven turntable, and sorry for not finding this on youtube

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9051...5098105178021/

Her is another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV5-s3b_0S0

The Hoffman forum has a few threads on changing the Ania cartridge on a Planar.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...winner.735036/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    A steam driven turntable, and sorry for not finding this on youtube

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9051...5098105178021/
    m
    Her is another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV5-s3b_0S0
    Finally! A Warm Analog Sound!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Funny you mention that, because my dealer nearly took off my head when I mentioned the mat. "Don't you think they would have put a better mat on if it wasn't good enough?"
    Yeah I’ve seen that perspective a bunch from Rega enthusiasts who are of the mind that Rega has spent a lot of engineering bandwidth to determine the exact combo of materials to achieve a particular sound. Fair point. That said, that particular sound may not be exactly what every Rega owner is looking for EXACTLY. I love my P3. I thought it sounded really, really good but I wanted a bit more “snap” and definition in the bass and overall soundstage. After speaking with a number of other Rega P3 owners who recommended various changes in setup, I ended up replacing the Rega stock subplatter with a Groovetracer and the stock glass platter/felt mat combo with an acrylic platter and no mat. Now I find the sound JUST right. Wouldn’t change a thing. YMMV.
    For what it’s worth, I find the Rega very user friendly...I’m not particularly handy with tools and even straightforward DIY stuff makes me nervous. I even avoid IKEA. But swapping out the subplatter took about 4 minutes and it only took that long because I was TERRIFIED I was going to do something wrong and screw up my lovely turntable. It was super easy and it also gave me a better sense of how the turntable is constructed.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

That's why I laughed. I had a Moo Mat on my old Pro-ject, maybe I'll give that a whirl.

But I'll leave it as this: there are endless optimizations in the pursuit of the best sound. Right now, I am a very happy with the way my new Planar 6 sounds in my listening space. It was worth every cent and is an improvement over my previous turntable.

At some point I may get the itch to change, as we all do.

I had a Platter Matter for years.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...p?f=18&t=40535

I have a Rega p5, Rega Exact 2 cartridge, that I have had for years and really like it. One mod I did was the Groovetracer subplatter. Every 2-3 years replace the belt, I tried the Rega white belt, will always replace w a whitebelt. Set and forget, great music, no fuss.

Oh and Rega felt mat...red.

Anybody have any info/experience with the Music Hall MMF 5.3 ? It was recommended to me by my pal. Has the Ortofon blue cartridge. $1k new.

I also currently have a Rotel integrated amp but it looks like its on the way out plus I need a phono preamp as well, so I was thinking of doing either a full Rega or full Music Hall set-up:

Rega Brio integrated amp / Rega P3 with Elys 2

Music Hall A30.3 integrated amp/ Music Hall MMF 5.3 with 2M Blue

Any suggestions? Other possibilities? Both of these set-ups are roughly $2k, which is doable but I don't really want to go above that. I currently have B&W DM602 speakers
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Nice! Was this new or pre-owned?

Anybody have any info/experience with the Music Hall MMF 5.3 ? It was recommended to me by my pal. Has the Ortofon blue cartridge. $1k new.

I also currently have a Rotel integrated amp but it looks like its on the way out plus I need a phono preamp as well, so I was thinking of doing either a full Rega or full Music Hall set-up:

Any suggestions? Other possibilities? Both of these set-ups are roughly $2k, which is doable but I don't really want to go above that. I currently have B&W DM602 speakers
    I have a Music Hall MMF 5.1 and it runs perfectly, so I would say go for it. Now mine was $875 with a Goldring 1012GX cartridge but that was 6 years ago. I'm waiting for my new MMF 9.3 to arrive, so Music Hall has been good to me. The Rega P6 was on my short list, so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I’ve no experience with Music Hall but my Rega P3/Elys combo is the most delightful piece of stereo equipment I’ve ever owned. Worth every penny.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I have a Music Hall MMF 5.1 and it runs perfectly, so I would say go for it. Now mine was $875 with a Goldring 1012GX cartridge but that was 6 years ago. I'm waiting for my new MMF 9.3 to arrive, so Music Hall has been good to me. The Rega P6 was on my short list, so I don't think you can go wrong either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    I’ve no experience with Music Hall but my Rega P3/Elys combo is the most delightful piece of stereo equipment I’ve ever owned. Worth every penny.
    Thanks for the info guys

Nice! Was this new or pre-owned?
    Brand spanking new model, the updated Planar 6. I will say this about Rega compared to a lot of the other TT I looked at, I love the minimal profile of it. It's not a big honking thing.

Not gonna offer much commentary on this one, except to say wow, just what I never needed.
    A wifi/blutooth enabled turntable that also works with streaming services like spotify.
    Way to analog!!
    https://www.androidcentral.com/thrif...-500-turntable
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Not gonna offer much commentary on this one, except to say wow, just what I never needed.
    A wifi/blutooth enabled turntable that also works with streaming services like spotify.
    Way to analog!!
    https://www.androidcentral.com/thrif...-500-turntable
    I know right? It's a CD player without the durability or convenience
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that