Thread: FEATURED CD: Anathema : Weather Systems

FEATURED CD: Anathema : Weather Systems

This album was voted the 2nd best release of 2012 in a Sea Of tranquility poll. (Rush's new record was the winner.)

Per the SoT review:

I must confess that I was apprehensive to hear Weather Systems. Considering the magnificence of Anathema's last studio album, We're Here Because We're Here, as well as last year's collection of marvelously reworked material, Falling Deeper, it seemed impossible for Anathema to outdo itself. Oh, how wrong I was. Not only does Weather Systems exponentially enhance every element that made the previous two albums so special, but it rises to another level entirely. It captures our rawest emotions, our greatest fears, and our most sacred hopes and channels them into melodies, harmonies, lyrics, orchestration, performances, and arrangements that are unsurpassed in modern music. Its poignancy, honesty, fragility, and beauty are overwhelming, and the way it flows like one affective journey is incredible. It's a one-of-a-kind experience that can change lives.

Lyrically, musically, and even visually, Weather Systems feels like the next chapter in the thematic saga that Anathema began with We're Here Because We're Here and continued with Falling Deeper. Similar topics (death, love, loss, dreams, togetherness, etc) are explored, and the same sort of introspective writing and heavenly production is present. Naturally, as many of the titles relate to weather, Weather Systems is also full of symbolism and metaphors, which greatly increase the work's impact and help it feel like singular statement.

Of the album, main songwriter Daniel Cavanagh is spot on when he proclaims, "Everything from the production to the writing to the performances are a step up from our last album…This is not background music for parties. The music is written to deeply move the listener, to uplift or take the listener to the coldest depths of the soul." The first time I heard this album, I was driving on an empty highway after midnight, alone with my thoughts. Weather Systems provided the perfect soundtrack; in fact, I've never had such a visceral reaction to music before. My jaw dropped and my breath shortened several times as I listened, and by the end, I was exhausted. I've never heard such complex and intangible sentiments expressed with such precision and grace. I'm not ashamed to admit that Weather Systems is the only album that's ever brought me to tears.

The genius of Weather Systems is revealed when listened to all at once; the songs act as complements to an overall grand vision (rather than as separate ideas), demonstrating Anathema's ambition to craft a profound masterwork. Just about every track features several vocal sections and stunning orchestration, and they never fail to overlap into angelic serenity. From the gripping arpeggios of "Untouchable Part I" to the reprised melodies of "Untouchable Part 2," from the intricate harmonies of "The Gathering of the Clouds" (which, in a brilliant display of conceptual cohesion, features the sole female member, Lee Douglas, announcing, "But we're here because we're here") to the elegant "Lightning Song," and from the majestic optimism of "Sunlight" to the enthralling, multilayered vocals that conclude "The Storm Before the Calm," this album radiates luscious sounds and haunting words. Lead singer Vincent Cavanagh has never sounded as impassioned as he does on"The Beginning and the End, " and the way the orchestrated strings match the singing on "The Lost Child" is utterly superb.

Weather Systems concluding song, "Internal Landscapes," simultaneously represents uplifting closure and unflinching heartache. Much like "Presence" on We're Here Because We're Here, this song combines spoken passages (this time about a man's journey into the afterlife) and musical retrospect. Together, Cavanagh and Lee consider all that the situation implies before reaching a final consensus. The way they sing lyrics like "Goodbye, my friend. Life will never end. And I feel you…For I was always there. I will always be there" with such delicate power is wonderful. Simply put, every note, word, and timbre of Weather Systems should be treasured.

As a music journalist, it's often too easy to write with superlatives and unrestricted enthusiasm; however, there isn't an ounce of hesitation or hyperbole in declaring Weather Systems the most beautiful, meaningful, and emotionally piercing record I've ever heard. I've listened to it dozens of times, and its power has yet to diminish. Beyond appealing to lovers of exceptional music, the album provides solace and guidance for the broken-hearted and spiritually resilient. Weather Systems transcends the boundaries of its form by capturing the essence of humanity. I cannot emphasize enough just how special and important this record is. It's nothing less of a precious work of art, and it's guaranteed to dominate many "Best Of" lists at the end of the year.

Track Listing
    1. Untouchable Part 1
    2. Untouchable Part 2
    3. The Gathering Of The Clouds
    4. Lightning Song
    5. Sunlight
    6. The Storm Before The Calm
    7. The Beginning And The End
    8. The Lost Child
    9. Internal Landscapes

Added: May 2nd 2012
    Reviewer: Jordan Blum
    Score:
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ntent&id=12621

Regards,

Duncan

it's on my must buy list, thanks for the review

Santa brought me this. Loving it.

finished #10 (or #11?) on my blog's 2012 list. Very good record, and a worthy follow-up to WHBWH.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    disappointed

I loved We're Here, but this was a snoozer for me. If the latter half of We Here 'Cuz We Here was your cuppa joe, then this may be of interest, but those who appreciated the majestic pop mastery that was the first half of WHBWH, then this may disappoint. After multiple attempts to let it soak in, there was a sameness throughout Weather Systems that made it a chore for me to listen to it, so I traded it.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    disappointed

I loved We're Here, but this was a snoozer for me.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by The SOT critic View Post
    there isn't an ounce of hesitation or hyperbole in declaring Weather Systems the most beautiful, meaningful, and emotionally piercing record I've ever heard
    Really? Really?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Clearly not everybodys cup of tea but it cannot be denied that this release has certainly wow'ed an awful lot of fans and an awful lot of the critics.

Not only that but, albums like this one and Steven Wilsons recent releases, are drawing 'outsiders' toward the whole progressive rock scene. Which can only be good for the genre as a whole.

A rare achievement indeed.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What's on the DVD in the digibook edition? I have but haven't watched the DVD yet. I guess a 5.1 version of the album, but anything else of interest? The usual making of video?

Suspended
    I was also apprehensive about Weather Systems. However there was no need to be. in some ways this album is better than its predecessor, in other ways not. Overall, I'd say We're Here because We're Here is a better structured album, but Weather systems has some better individual songs.

The new album, "Distant Satellites" is on the way. I've heard one track from it and was somewhat underwhelmed, so I hope that's not indicative of the album.

For those curious about the new Anathema album, some details in this interview with Vincent:

http://noisefull.com/interviews/anat...ncent-cavanagh
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I had never seen this thread before but I have to say the reviewer is spot on! I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy this when it came out, having bought their previous 'We're Here Because We're Here' when it came out. I actually bought 'Weather Systems' a couple of months ago at their headlining concert in St. Petersburg, FL (John Wesley of Porcupine Tree opened). Hands down the greatest concert I've ever been, they just blew me away, so much so that, in the middle of one of the 'Weather Systems' songs, I left the concert area and went directly to the merchandise room and bought the cd. I've played it endlessly since then and every word of the reviewer about this album is true and spot on. I think of this record as one of the most important modern prog albums of the last few years and an essential purchase. Really looking forward to the new album 'Distant Satellites'.

Here's my photo album from the St. Petersburg, FL show I attended: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1092305283

Great band that gets far too little discussion in these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Great band that gets far too little discussion in these parts.
    Agreed. They are a true prog band in every sense of the word. After I witnessed that concert, I thought (and still think) they are way ahead of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    Agreed. They are a true prog band in every sense of the word. After I witnessed that concert, I thought (and still think) they are way ahead of the pack.
    I was turned on to them by seeing Danny and Vinny open for Blackfield. I thought the two of them were better than Blackfield so I promptly started working backwards from WHBWH all the way back to Alternative 4.

For me, everything from Judgement forward is classic.

Fantastic album that I was just listening to yesterday. This is a band that you really need to see live to truly appeciate.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by FKYES View Post
    Fantastic album that I was just listening to yesterday. This is a band that you really need to see live to truly appeciate.
    Speaking of which, the Kscope podcast was trumpeting the fact that their upcoming tour will feature "some dates in Australia."

A look on their website tells me that "some dates in Australia" consists of just ONE night in Sydney. Pitiful. At least Porcupine tree and Steven Wilson played three cities when they toured, though like most people they seem unaware of the fact that this country has a west coast.

I've only got the last 3 studio albums and feel Weather Systems is the best of an excellent bunch. A superb album. The Lightning Song was one of those tracks that I just had on constant repeat play -great song that build up majestically.

Probably my most anticipated release for 2014. Pre- ordered the new one and can't wait!

Full stream of the new album 'Distant Satellites' here: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...7235.html?dkdk

Impressive record. They just keep expanding their sound. Must buy.

I discovered Anathema on the previous album, "We're Here", and was totally blown away by it. One of my favorite prog albums ever. "Weather Systems" was kind of like "Deadwing" initially was after I had been blown away by "In Absentia"...it was such a similar sound that I was initially underwhelmed. But over time "Deadwing" has become one of my faves too, so "Weather Systems" has fared nicely as well, though I still prefer "We're Here..." by a longshot.

New Album "Distant Satellites" continues the path of these 3 releases; they're perfecting this sound and songwriting approach they've got going on. It doesn't break much new ground, and there's nothing as noteworthy as my faves off "We're Here..." like 'A Simple Mistake', but it's one gorgeous album.