Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Sides of Suzanne Ciani: New Age & Experimental

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

She also did a lot of TV commercials in the 80's, which I remember reading about Keyboard magazine at the time, but I didn't really know which ones (besides the old Coke ad from the 70's) until I saw some documentary footage on Youtube. There was a Whirlpool ad, I think, with a "talking" dishwasher, where it sort of introduced itself to the viewer, R2-D2 style, with subtitles. The dishwasher's "voice" was actually her Synclavier. I also remember a lawn mower ad, where it turned out she did the sound that accompanied the slow motion image of the mower's blades cutting down weeds or whatever.

And she did the effects for Xenon, which was the first pinball machine to use digital sound. She did the sound effects on her synths and Synclavier, she also all the sort of sexy verbal sounds the game made, like the "Ahhh!"'s that you'd hear when the ball hits a bumper, that's actually her voice.

She also did a hilarious appearance on David Letterman's morning show (yes, that's right, NBC originally put Letterman on in the morning, at like 9 or 10:00am or whatever it was, before the game shows. After one season, they figured out he'd work better in late night, and Johnny amendable to Dave being on after him, so thus was born Late Night With David Letterman). So Dave's introducing her, and she's got this big effects rack hooked up to a mic, so every time either she or Dave says something, it goes through the effects rack, with all these weird voices coming out of the speakers, and Dave can't stop giggling. "Ten thousand dollars to sound like an idiot in the comfort of your own home". Then she demonstrates her Prophet-5, showing some of the sounds she considers "mundane". Then she patches in a sequencer, to demonstrate what that does (and she has to try twice, because for some reason the first time she hit the start button, nothing happened).

The EM purist in me was -- and is -- horrified by talking dishwashers. That's not why Bob Moog and Alan Pearlman and Don Buchla invented synthesizers.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The EM purist in me was -- and is -- horrified by talking dishwashers. That's not why Bob Moog and Alan Pearlman and Don Buchla invented synthesizers.
    Really? How do you feel about R2-D2?

Don’t make me post the Screen Gems logo that Eric Siday composed in 1965 on one of Bob Moog’s first synthesizers!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    How do you feel about R2-D2?
    I never bought any of his records, if that tells you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I never bought any of his records, if that tells you anything.
    So if Buchla and Moog didn't intend their inventions to be used to give voices to droids and dishwashers, than what were they meant for?

And exactly what did Alan Pearlman invent? My understanding was, he mostly just followed in Moog's footsteps (sometimes a little too closely, remember, ARP literally copied the Moog filter for a time).

I suppose you also consider the Viacom logos from the 70's, the scanimation segments on Sesame Street, etc to also not be "correct" uses of these instruments, too, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Don’t make me post the Screen Gems logo that Eric Siday composed in 1965 on one of Bob Moog’s first synthesizers!
    Post it, I'm not sure I've ever seen/heard it.

Post it, I'm not sure I've ever seen/heard it.
    You mean you’ve never watched an episode of Bewitched? Your cultural blind spots never fail to amaze me:

And exactly what did Alan Pearlman invent? My understanding was, he mostly just followed in Moog's footsteps (sometimes a little too closely, remember, ARP literally copied the Moog filter for a time).
    Well he invented a synthesizer that stayed in tune, at the time that other synthesizers didn't stay in tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    You mean you’ve never watched an episode of Bewitched? Your cultural blind spots never fail to amaze me:
    For one, yes, I have watched Bewitched. What kind of a geek do you take me for?! But I've only watched it a handful of times in the last 30 or so years. I'm only enough to remember when the first season still ran in b&w (they've since colorized it, as they did with I Dream Of Jeanie). I kinda have this thing about watching a TV show from the start of it's run, so I'm waiting for the reruns on FamilyNet to cycle back to the first episode again. Just last week, I was watching a Simon & Simon rerun with Bernard Fox in it, and say, "Oooh! There's Doctor Bombay!" (it also had John Astin in it, so I said, "Oooh, there's Gomez Adams/Buddy from Night Court").

Having said that, actually, now that I watch the video you posted, yes, I have seen that one. Probably saw it a lot when I was a kid.

Apparently, some people found that Screen Gems logo, and the Viacom ones disturbing, for some reason. (shrug)

One of the first places I remember hearing a synthesizer (besides Ken Hensley's "Mood symplifier" solo on Uriah Heep Live) was on Sesame Street. They had these really strange animation segments, I think the particular style of animation is called Scanimation, anyway, they featured this character that thought how to count, accompanied by some very not ready for mainstream synthesizer sounds.

I also remember a lawn mower ad, where it turned out she did the sound that accompanied the slow motion image of the mower's blades cutting down weeds or whatever.
    Sort of the reverse of the Art Bears album where one track features a seriously terrifying electronic-sounding noise which turns out to be a highly amplified lawnmower.

(it also had John Astin in it, so I said, "Oooh, there's Gomez Adams/Buddy from Night Court").
    Dickens from I'm Dickens, He's Fenster!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^ Oooo, Mr. Triskets, you remembered! And "Fenster" was.... Marty Ingels!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

"Myron Bannister..cha cha cha".
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Anyone seen this:
    I recorded it, so it will be seen soon.
    The program also featured Bill Laurance.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I recorded it, so it will be seen soon.
    The program also featured Bill Laurance.
    That's another video. This one is just Suzanne Ciani.

The other program I've put a link to in the Post something cool thread
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...303#post749303

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    That's another video. This one is just Suzanne Ciani.

The other program I've put a link to in the Post something cool thread
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...303#post749303
    It was such a coincidence you posted this I assumed it was the same program.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    It was such a coincidence you posted this I assumed it was the same program.
    Well, I discovered that video on the side of the televisionprogram.