NDR Big Band/Trilok Gurtu-21 Spices 2011
    Steve Weingart-Dialouge 2011
    Hiromi Uehara-Move 2012
    Steve Weingart-Observatory 2013
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

^^ Holy comprehensive list Batman!! Nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    Satriani, Joe Flying In a Blue Dream Relativity 1989
    Anyone know what track or tracks he plays on? I always assumed Jeff Campitelli was the main drummer on this.

Someone mentioned East of Asterioid from the 801 album. I saw Simon perform this at the NAMM show a few years ago during the Tama Simon Phillips retrospective celebration. Never thought I'd see this performed live. Fortunately it was captured on video.

"Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

He was 19 when he played that with 801 the first time around. 19.

I enjoyed his playing on the Roger Daltrey "A Celebration. The Music of Pete Townsend and The Who' that played on the local PBS stations years ago. I also have the cassette.

Last edited by bigbassdrum; 02-07-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ljubaspriest View Post
    Best drumming Judas Priest ever had on an album("Sin after sin").I can only imagine how mighty Priest would sound w/Phillips behind drum set on Killing machine or Defenders of the faith!!!!
    I was going to say that. In fact, Simon is the reason that I listen to Sin After Sin(as opposed to Unleashed In The East). Tracks like Sinner and Diamonds And Rust sound more powerful with Simon bashing the skins(as opposed to Les Binks). Btw, what tracks on Pete Townshend's White City feature Mr. Phillips?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think the only album I have with Simon on is 801-Live which is an excellent album.

I'll probably pick up the two albums with Hiromi Uehara in the next couple of months, wonderful stuff.

holy emotional rollercoaster batman! That woman can play some Piano! What a phenomenon!!! One heluva intricate composition to boot! That Rocked fo shizzle ... but I'd love to hear her play some Synths in a proper rock ensemble

As for the esteemed Mr. Phillips, I first heard him on Stanley Clarke's Rocks Pebbles and Sand and became an instant fan. Prolly have dozens of rekkidz with him on them now.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I was going to say that. In fact, Simon is the reason that I listen to Sin After Sin(as opposed to Unleashed In The East). Tracks like Sinner and Diamonds And Rust sound more powerful with Simon bashing the skins(as opposed to Les Binks).
    It might be the best drumming Judas Priest ever had, but the songs in Sin After Sin sound muffled and anemic compared to the versions on Unleashed In The East. The production of Sin After Sin was not that good either. The drums in Sin After Sin may sound more powerful to you because they are mixed more upfront than in Unleashed In The East where the guitars are more prominent in the mix. Love Phillips drumming, but Judas Priest overall performance in Unleashed In The East trumps any outstanding contributions Phillips provided on Sin After Sin. Listen carefully to Binks drumming on Unleashed In The East and you will hear a lot interesting rolls and drum fills. He was no Phillips, but he was a very good drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    It might be the best drumming Judas Priest ever had, but the songs in Sin After Sin sound muffled and anemic compared to the versions on Unleashed In The East. The production of Sin After Sin was not that good either. The drums in Sin After Sin may sound more powerful to you because they are mixed more upfront than in Unleashed In The East where the guitars are more prominent in the mix. Love Phillips drumming, but Judas Priest overall performance in Unleashed In The East trumps any outstanding contributions Phillips provided on Sin After Sin. Listen carefully to Binks drumming on Unleashed In The East and you will hear a lot interesting rolls and drum fills. He was no Phillips, but he was a very good drummer.
    Well,to me Sin after sin is one of the best produced Priest albums,cudos to Roger Glover.Every time I hear "Dissident Agressor" intro with Phillips bashing his drum kit,I'm thinking about that moment as a real beginning of modern heavy metal,what a monumental track!Give a guy credit where it's due.

Quote Originally Posted by ljubaspriest View Post
    Well,to me Sin after sin is one of the best produced Priest albums,cudos to Roger Glover.Every time I hear "Dissident Agressor" intro with Phillips bashing his drum kit,I'm thinking about that moment as a real beginning of modern heavy metal,what a monumental track!Give a guy credit where it's due.
    Although my previous comment was mainly directed towards the tracks common between Sin After Sin and Unleashed In The East, I strongly feel that the production of Sin After Sin was not good. Sin After Sin is a better produced album than Rocka Rolla or Sad Wings Of Destiny, but it sounded lifeless and limp in comparison to the albums that followed.

Not sure who do you want me to give credit, but if it is to Glover I can't. The album does not sound good. If you wanted me to credit Phillips work, I think I already did when I stated on my previous post that it might have the best drumming that Judas Priest ever had and that Phillips contributions to the album were outstanding..

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    holy emotional rollercoaster batman! That woman can play some Piano! What a phenomenon!!! One heluva intricate composition to boot!
    You just discovered Hiromi, MT? You got some catching up to do!

Wideopenears mentioned Hiromi back on page one, never heard of her either til then. Glad to be introduced to her work. I Downloaded Voice, great album, though admittedly, I'm not that into that kind of music so much anymore. It was really nice to hear something like that again! The video posted back there somewhere, shows her to be quite a presence on stage, really great musician. Her staccato playing reminded me of the album by Michel Camilo, S/Titled, now THAT dude can play a piano! I just realized that came out in '88, haven't listened to it in a LONG time!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Wideopenears mentioned Hiromi back on page one, never heard of her either til then. Glad to be introduced to her work. I Downloaded Voice, great album, though admittedly, I'm not that into that kind of music so much anymore. It was really nice to hear something like that again! The video posted back there somewhere, shows her to be quite a presence on stage, really great musician. Her staccato playing reminded me of the album by Michel Camilo, S/Titled, now THAT dude can play a piano! I just realized that came out in '88, haven't listened to it in a LONG time!
    Hiromi's most fusiony album is "Time Control" with her (then) band, Sonicbloom. IMO, it stands up to the great fusion albums of the '70s; terrific writing and playing. Saw them live a couple of years ago.

Michel Camilo is a mofo! I have the s/t album and four of his other ones. Though he dabbles with fusion and straight-ahead jazz, it's mostly latin jazz. Hiromi's music is more towards the fusion side with a bit of straight ahead and some latiny things once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Hiromi's most fusiony album is "Time Control" with her (then) band, Sonicbloom. IMO, it stands up to the great fusion albums of the '70s.
    I have one Hiromi album but I'm not sure which one... I am always blown away by her videos but this one really hit me, hence the seemingly 'new discovery' hyperbole from me.

I'll hafta get Time Control if its not the one I already have
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Saw Hiromi play in Melbourne last year .... With Simon Phillips. At the new Recital Centre which has wonderful acoustics. Great great concert

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    ^^ Holy comprehensive list Batman!! Nice!!
    But you forgot:

Roger Glover-Elements

Pete Townshend-Empty Glass,White City

The Who,anything live.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    But you forgot:

Roger Glover-Elements

Pete Townshend-Empty Glass,White City

The Who,anything live.
    I thought that Simon only played on the '89 Who reunion tour?

Quote Originally Posted by porteri View Post
    Saw Hiromi play in Melbourne last year .... With Simon Phillips. At the new Recital Centre which has wonderful acoustics. Great great concert
    I'm dying to see her current trio, and it would be my first time seeing Phillips live. I did see the Sonic Bloom quartet back in 07, which was awesome. But even better was the duo show she did with Stanley Clarke. Still can't believe I saw two monster musicians like that, and from about 10 feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I thought that Simon only played on the '89 Who reunion tour?
    I wasn't sure about the year which is why I should have said: "anything live he played with The Who." I can see how confusing that did look.