Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simon Phillips

Does anyone know if there's any truth to the rumor that Phillips was considered for the "P" slot in ELP when Carl Palnmer wasn't available (prior to Cozy Powell getting the nod)?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Apparently her band’s later drummer Jeff Rich tried very hard to emulate those fills on this song.

Paul Hart played those incredible synths on “Sukarita.”

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" --Patrick Star

N.P.:“Lizard”-King Crimson
    Paul hart! Right. Gorgeous. I sa the band with Jeff Rich and he kind of did play the parts but that incredible, ringing tom sound? No way. Pure Phillips. And some phasing in the studio, maybe!
    "Where the light is brightest, the shadows are deepest"
    Goethe

Saw him a couple years ago with Jobson,Minnemann,Gunn and Howe. He's just a little pip squeak.

Saw him with Eddie Jobson a few years ago. Got to meet him after the show. I gave him a cd-r of Dave Greenslade's "Cactus Choir" which he played on back in the mid-70's, and he seemed genuinely delighted to get it (it's still never been released on cd!). Big fan dating back to his work with Phil Manzanera and 801.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn_McCool View Post
    Does anyone know if there's any truth to the rumor that Phillips was considered for the "P" slot in ELP when Carl Palnmer wasn't available (prior to Cozy Powell getting the nod)?
    Never heard of that one, but Phillips was considered for the drumming spot in Asia before Palmer was selected.

For those interested, the following link has a lengthy interview with Phillips.

Agree with all good things posted. One of the few drummers whose presence makes any music an autobuy/listen. Also included in my list is Colaiuta, Porcaro, Donati, White, Bruford, Harrison, DiVirgilio, Husband, Bozzio (off the top of my head!).

Best drumming Judas Priest ever had on an album("Sin after sin").I can only imagine how mighty Priest would sound w/Phillips behind drum set on Killing machine or Defenders of the faith!!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I think the only album I have with Simon on is 801-Live which is an excellent album.

I'll probably pick up the two albums with Hiromi Uehara in the next couple of months, wonderful stuff.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think the only album I have with Simon on is 801-Live which is an excellent album.

I'll probably pick up the two albums with Hiromi Uehara in the next couple of months, wonderful stuff.
    You should try and find a copy of Symbiosis by Simon.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You should try and find a copy of Symbiosis by Simon.
    Just checked out the samples on Amazon, that's definitely in my wheelhouse, addeded to the wish list, thanks for the reco.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Simon Phillips is somewhere in the Top 5 of my favorite drummers. Fantastic player who sounds great in so many musical settings! I've seen him live with Toto and I saw him do a drum clinic once. He never ceases to amaze! First time I ever heard him was on Rutherford's "Smallcreep's Day" and I was immediately impressed. Then I heard him on Jeff Beck's "There and Back" and was even more impressed!

Don't be too sure about that! Having seen him do a drum clinic, I think he can do anything those guys do. At one point he demonstrated how he can do anything with his feet that he can do with his hands by playing different paradiddles with his feet. Perhaps he's better known for his super tasty grooves, but he has mondo chops too!
    I caught his solo feature on a televised Toto concert, and he played some great stuff! I bought There And Back on CD recently, but I haven't really listened to it. I'll have to dig it out.

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyNational View Post
    Loved being able to see him in such a small room (BB King's, NYC) w/ Jobson a few years ago; don't think he mopped the floor w/ Minneman, but he was brilliant.
    FWIW, that was the same show I saw.

I've been a big fan of Simon for many years, and I have 3 solo albums he's done along with the PSP. I agree with those who praise Symbiosis as his best solo album - - - the drum tone on this album is about as close to perfect as it can get, for me at least. He's also in my top 5 drummers of all time - - - how could anyone NOT appreciate his drumming?? - - - Jeff
    FWIW - - - as much as I love Simon, I can't imagine anyone mopping the floor with Marco!

Symbiosis is great and so is Another Lifetime.

Great fusion and technical rock player, though i don't like his playing much when he tries to play jazz.

I saw Beck's There and Back tour, and I can tell you now that Phillips was a monster. Every drummer in town that was at that gig came out shaking their heads, or on a stretcher. Most especially, the sick amount of ambidexterity, where he would be drumming right-handed one moment, do a fill, and then be drumming left-handed the next. Plus, the basic figure for Space Boogie (one of the most atrociously-silly tune names ever) was the most difficult pulse groove, plus the basis for so many "Oh! I can do that!" drum figures (by drummers who could barely or not at all "do that": witness Hot for Teacher).

He was a hot item in the early '80s with Smallcreep's Day and Stanley Clarke's Rocks, Pebbles and Stones and - whatever the Roxy Music album was that year and There and Back. There was an L. Shankar ablum on the Zappa label called Touch Me There, and his drumming on that was awesome. There's a track called Darlene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPQB_QHd2w where the meter changes almost every bar, and he makes it hang together and even groove in a way that you wouldn't expect from someone who - say - had drummed a Judas Priest album.

And, to go totally micro, there's a section on 801 live on a track called East of Asteroid where he drums, maybe, 4 bars of 13/8 in a way that so totally terrifying - you can even hear a member of the audience go "awwwww!!!!!!". Simon couldn't be backed down by anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GA89EfQ0Pg

(Found the clip. Said workout starts around :52.)

On the same album (802 Live), the time feel he creates on their cover of Tomorrow Never Knows - no chops; just where he opens the hat and the nuance of the figure - is really something else.

One of the all time greats. How about the live clip of Give Blood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeXf90OGTHE

Gawdamm, I dig Simon Phillps.

Well - this is new - but here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_PqxiWOxwuw

My first exposure to SP was on Jon Anderson's Animation album (love those rototom fills!) But the first time I really got to see him play for any length of time was on The Who's live broadcast of Tommy from 1989. Here's a little taste...

Quote Originally Posted by Burble View Post
    I saw Beck's There and Back tour, and I can tell you now that Phillips was a monster. Every drummer in town that was at that gig came out shaking their heads, or on a stretcher. Most especially, the sick amount of ambidexterity, where he would be drumming right-handed one moment, do a fill, and then be drumming left-handed the next. Plus, the basic figure for Space Boogie (one of the most atrociously-silly tune names ever) was the most difficult pulse groove, plus the basis for so many "Oh! I can do that!" drum figures (by drummers who could barely or not at all "do that": witness Hot for Teacher).

He was a hot item in the early '80s with Smallcreep's Day and Stanley Clarke's Rocks, Pebbles and Stones and - whatever the Roxy Music album was that year and There and Back. There was an L. Shankar ablum on the Zappa label called Touch Me There, and his drumming on that was awesome. There's a track called Darlene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPQB_QHd2w where the meter changes almost every bar, and he makes it hang together and even groove in a way that you wouldn't expect from someone who - say - had drummed a Judas Priest album.

And, to go totally micro, there's a section on 801 live on a track called East of Asteroid where he drums, maybe, 4 bars of 13/8 in a way that so totally terrifying - you can even hear a member of the audience go "awwwww!!!!!!". Simon couldn't be backed down by anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GA89EfQ0Pg

(Found the clip. Said workout starts around :52.)

On the same album (802 Live), the time feel he creates on their cover of Tomorrow Never Knows - no chops; just where he opens the hat and the nuance of the figure - is really something else.

One of the all time greats. How about the live clip of Give Blood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeXf90OGTHE

Gawdamm, I dig Simon Phillps.
    I too was at a There and Back gig,Sept. 5,1980(my birthday) outside at the Greek Theater in Berkeley,Ca. I was so blown away by everyone,then Simon did a 10min. solo in the middle of Space Boogie and when Jeff came back out he said: "You liked that huh?" I will never forget how Jeff ended the show. He was playing the last song of the night,Going Down on his Tele and literally started ripping the strings off the thing to where there were none to play and fell to his knees and that was it.I didn't even think anyone could do that. Btw,the Roxy Music album that year was Flesh and Blood,and Simon isn't on all the tracks,just a few. Does anyone have the album PH.d?