Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Old Pulteney 12, Benromach 10, Tomatin 12, Wee Beastie, and Arran Barrel Reserve are all under $50. Tomatin 12 is a good cheap sipper.
    worse bottle I've bought in a decade, IMHO. (havent tried the 14 yo, though.

Tried it a few times and have a hard time working my way down the bottle on this one.
    It just burns all the way down the esophagus and enough that one can't taste the aromas.

I'll probably use for cooking or guests that I don't particularly care for (I try to limit them at home, though).

Still looking for that elusive Glengoyne expression, though. All we get in Benelux are the basic ones, which are entry level.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

After a couple more Glen Scotia double cask drams.......not sure I would endorse this one whole heartedly. It's got a bit of a burn. I could say the same of Talisker, but that seems a bit smoother to me...
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

bought yesterday:

Bruichladdich The Classic Laddie
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Both are great. My hangover can attest to that statement.

Indeed. Glenmorangie is one of the few "entry level" malts that I still purchase. I don't really fancy the 10 year at this point, but the QR, Lasanta, and Nectar d'Or (in order of richness to light/fruity) are all worth getting. The more limited and premium range that I have had I find to be not incrementally better fwiw. I have open bottles of "Cadboll Estate" (creamy bourbon notes), and "A Tale of Winter" (Morangie + Marsala Wine notes). Both are good, but not worth the increased price. That said the "Winter" bottle would fit nicely in the core range if they could get the price down.

Quinta Ruban is just about the best ruby port finished whisky you can find regularly and at a solid price point.
    I almost grabbed another Quinta Ruban but I'm really happy with my (new for me) choices. But its always on my radar. I love that bottle and wish I had another $300 to blow on another 4 - 5 bottles.

Are you anywhere close to Mid Valley wine and liquor? They seem to have a good selection.
    Yes I am actually! Its right near my dispensary in Newburgh but I've never been...I will definitely check it out when I'm down there next...could be dangerous. Thx Cozy.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    bought yesterday:

Bruichladdich The Classic Laddie
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Both are great. My hangover can attest to that statement.

Good to know, Frank! Thanks for sharing. Iím always on the lookout for new scotch to try.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Good to know, Frank! Thanks for sharing. Iím always on the lookout for new scotch to try.
    Cool...yeah me too!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Wife and I made it out to the Frey Ranch Distillery Saturday (the only day of the week their tour and tasting room is open). I mentioned my plans to visit this place in a post above, but I'll repeat their website link here.

https://freyranch.com/tasting-tours/

The ranch is a beautiful place out near the west central Nevada farming town of Fallon, near Fallon Naval Air Station, which those who have seen the Top Gun movies may be familiar with. On the ranch, they grow all the grains used in their whiskies, including corn, wheat, barley, oats, and rye. Entry to the distillery tour and the tasting room are free, and bottles of their finished products are available for sale in the tasting room. The tour was fun and interesting. The people, both the tourists and the people who worked at Frey Ranch, were friendly and easy to engage in conversation. The whole time we were there, I never heard anyone talking politics or arguing about anything. All were there for their love of whiskey.

I tasted what they had on offer that day. I was told they had a new barrel release sell out instantly that morning. Still available for taste and sale were three single-barrel releases, at barrel strength. One of them they had named "Hazmat" because it was the strongest whiskey they had yet made, at 140 proof (70% alcohol). All three single barrel whiskeys were very good, and despite their proof, I could easily note distinct differences in flavor between them. Also available was a 100% wheat whiskey, something I had never tried. I have had wheat vodka, but this was definitely a whiskey. It seemed not as heavy or thick (if these are the right words) as the corn bourbons, but was quite tasty. It is sold in half sized bottles of 375 ml. I didn't ask why. As with the single-barrel whiskies, I haven't seen it in stores. Also up for taste were their primary bottled products, a 90 proof straight bourbon whiskey, and a 100 proof straight 100% rye whiskey. The rye is the one I have at home, as yet unopened. I believe they sometimes have an oat whiskey in the tasting room, but it was unavailable the day we visited.

I asked the tour guide if they had plans to make a barley whiskey similar to scotch, and he said he had tried one they made already, but it was not currently for sale. They are also experimenting with smoked whisky. So I guess we'll have to go back some time and see what is available in the future.

Apologies that this post isn't primarily about Scotch, but I thought it would be of interest to fellow whisky lovers. As I will never be financially able to visit a Scotch distillery in Scotland, I will go with what I can do. As I understand it, Frey Ranch whiskies are distributed to liquor stores in California and Nevada only. Folks who live outside those states should be able to find the whiskey online. I can attest that the asking prices for the bourbon and rye are quite reasonable for the quality of the whiskey that you get. I don't work for them, but I have tried the whiskey.

The only other Nevada distillery I have visited is Bentley Heritage Estate Distillery in Minden, where they make vodka and gin. An awesome building, as seen here,

https://bentlyheritage.com/

it is my understanding that it closed operations in March of 2022. The building can't be used for any other purpose than a distillery, so I hope it finds its way to a new owner and reopens one day.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I just picked up a bottle of 12 year old sherry cask Tamnavulin from my local supermarket, reduced from £32 to £20 ó which translates to $23

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I just picked up a bottle of 12 year old sherry cask Tamnavulin from my local supermarket, reduced from £32 to £20 ó which translates to $23
    wow....enjoy!

Kilchoman Machir Bay

One of my lawn customers is a fellow scotch drinker and got me a bottle as an end of season gift. I like it! Slightly fruity, but it's the warming smokiness that will have me return.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Kilchoman Machir Bay

One of my lawn customers is a fellow scotch drinker and got me a bottle as an end of season gift. I like it! Slightly fruity, but it's the warming smokiness that will have me return.
    I've seen that but have yet to try it. Thanks for the description.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

At a party to mark what would have been the birthday of my closest friend of forty years, with whom I drank many drams, who died in August, bottles of Aberlour 10, Glenlivet 12 & Clynelish 14 followed on from a number of bottles of excellent vintage French red wines.

By 4am, empty bottles forced us to draw a memorable evening full of joy, but tinged with sadness, to a close.