Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm English, "not bad" is high praise indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I got to try that Ardbeg 5 year old wee beastie. Good one. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Excellent! I picked up an extra bottle myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just got a Glenlivet 15 aged in French oak barrels, not bad.
    I have a bottle of that myself. I like it, but it's not knocking me over. I prefer the 14 finished in Cognac casks so far I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    As for Livet, I'd say that it betters Fiddich by a margin, but it's obvious that it still tries to be its best competition, instead of being its own thing.

Persnally, for a Speyside, my go-to is Aberlour, which really a "sure-thing", whether a basic 12 or the upper cousins 15/16/18, and the special series. Only the entry 8 is average.
    There is no Speyside that would crack my top 5 I don't think, but these would be my top 5 Speys (in no order)...

Aultmore - I've had the 12, 18, and an IB. The 12 is the best bang for the buck. Sweet, honey, floral, light, fruity, hint of smoke.
    Craigellachie - Only had the 13 year, but this is a pretty solid smokey whisky for a Spey.
    Glenallachie - Climbing up the list. I have had the 12, 10 Port finish, and 10 cask strength. Fruity, floral, almost perfume like (in a good way).
    Glenfarclas - Had the 10, 12, 21, and 105. It's pretty much a one-trick pony, but love the berry quality to their sherry formula.
    Glenlivet - Love/hate relationship. I wish they did everything like their Nadurra series.

Honorable mention
    Aberlour - I love A'bunadh, but seems like the quality is slowly slipping.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'll probably go with a Balvenie of those I've tried, always happy when I get a bottle.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I think Speyside malts (which is where my preference now lies) do tend to come into their own at 15 years - The Glenlivet, the Glenfarclas, Longmorn, Glen Grant, &, especially, the magisterial Linkwood, all show a marked step up in complexity & quality from their 10/12 year old incarnation to their 15 year old.
    Never even seen the Linkwood, but I've tried the others you mention, but only kept a sweet memory of Longmorn

BTW, I neve bougth anything from those Dufftown bottlings, it doesn't inspire my trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    There is no Speyside that would crack my top 5 I don't think, but these would be my top 5 Speys (in no order)...

Aultmore - I've had the 12, 18, and an IB. The 12 is the best bang for the buck. Sweet, honey, floral, light, fruity, hint of smoke.
    Craigellachie - Only had the 13 year, but this is a pretty solid smokey whisky for a Spey.
    Glenallachie - Climbing up the list. I have had the 12, 10 Port finish, and 10 cask strength. Fruity, floral, almost perfume like (in a good way).
    Glenfarclas - Had the 10, 12, 21, and 105. It's pretty much a one-trick pony, but love the berry quality to their sherry formula.
    Glenlivet - Love/hate relationship. I wish they did everything like their Nadurra series.

Honorable mention
    Aberlour - I love A'bunadh, but seems like the quality is slowly slipping.
    Nah, I agree, I much prefer Highlands malts to Speyside, but Aberlour would probably rank in my brandname top 10. Aberlour is actually a generally excellent price/quality in Continental Europe, maybe because It's French-owned.

But in general, I've pretty well stopped exploring the Speyside valley.

I guess I should finish my A'bunadh and get a new one soon.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Interesting thoughts on Speyside.

For me - & many traditionalists - Speyside is the spiritual (!) home of whisky. I think that, if your palate adapts to peaty Highland & island malts, then the Speysides can/will seem relatively lightweight or underwhelming. But, for my palate, the absence of the heavy peat/smoke means that the subtle complexity of the flavours is much more apparent.

As for dismissing Glenfarclas as a one trick pony - for shame!!! Their 105 was the whisky the more or less began the cask strength "movement" (which is a marketing abomination, to my mind). But, the step up from the 10 to the 15 is stunning - the 15 is a magisterial whisky. The 21 & 25 are even better still. Amongst the very best whiskies of all.

Linkwood is the main whisky in the Johnny Walker blend. It's hard to come upon it as a single malt. As a 10, it's raw & green. By the time it's aged to 15 years, some of its depth & complexity is beginning to really reveal itself, & the harshness of the 10 is rounding out. If you're ever lucky enough to drink it at 25 years, you will be drinking one of the absolute best whiskies. Ever. (The distillery, by the way, will celebrate its 200th anniversary next year)

As for dismissing Glenfarclas as a one trick pony - for shame!!! Their 105 was the whisky the more or less began the cask strength "movement" (which is a marketing abomination, to my mind). But, the step up from the 10 to the 15 is stunning - the 15 is a magisterial whisky. The 21 & 25 are even better still. Amongst the very best whiskies of all.
    Poor choice of words on my part. My intent was not to be dismissive, but more about the fact that they pretty much focus on one product and style.

Their 105 was the whisky the more or less began the cask strength "movement" (which is a marketing abomination, to my mind).
    What are your thoughts on non-chill filtering and bottling whisky at 43-46% vs. good ol' 40% standard, chill filtration and (often) coloring?