Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Here's the PEv2 thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...php/180-Scotch

Scroll down to post # 76
    Regards,

Duncan

OK, just back from the tasting. Most interesting. Here are my assessments:

Auchentoshan Three Wood
    I started with this. Lovely. Very sweet and floral with good body. I'd consider getting this in the future.

Bowmore 12
    Went to this second. Should have started here, this was the most "neutral" of all the Scotches I tasted. Nice, beautifully balanced, but noting particularly grabbed me. A good value drinker, but I personally look for more in Scotch because I drink it rarely.

Glenmorangie Tusail
    Went to this next. Suffice to say this was my favorite and this is what I walked out with. A bit of bite at first, but then a lovely floral aftertaste. Stunning. This is what I look for in whiskey. It looks like my store has more bottles, so maybe I can get more when this is done in 6 months or so. Got a good price on this bottle due to the tasting sale.

Dalwhinnie 15 YR
    This was my next one, and next to the Glenmorangie I think I liked second best. Great at the price point! So this is now on my radar.

Johnnie Walker Blue

I had to try it, and they were happy to pour it, so what the hell. My reaction... meh. Bland. Super if you want something uber smooth, but for me there was hardly any taste. Maybe it would be better if I hadn't had others side by side, but I found this boring, and hardly worth the $190 for 750ml price - which apparently isn't that bad.

Lagavulin 16 YR
    I now moved into the peatier malts, starting with this one. Not awful, I wouldn't turn up my nose if someone gave me a dram for free, but this wouldn't be what I'd buy. My issue is the separation of the foretaste and the smoky/peatiness. It's like two drinks in one, with little unity.

Laphroaig Cask Strength
    So I moved to this one. For all the "tastes like an ashrtay" I was expecting worse. I actually found this better than the Lagavulin because of its integration of elements. You got all the flavors from the first mouthful, and they all developed together while in your mouth. For a peaty malt, I'd definitely lean toward this. The guy who was pouring incorrectly sensed I knew what I was doing, because he reached under the tasting table and pulled out a bottle of Laphroaig Distiller's Reserve that wasn't on the tasting and let me try. This was even more integrated in its taste, and was stunning. So Laphroaig is is now on my radar, and I'm not going to give up on the peatier malts. I'm beginning to sense that there are some I may enjoy, but they have to have an integrated palette, it can't be an alcohol start and a smoky finish... it needs to be all there from the start for me to really enjoy.

Ardbeg Perpetum
    Ardbeg Dark Cove

Didn't try these. I'd just had enough and I didn't feel I'd give these a fair shake after tasting so much.

So, there it is. Very proud of our Glenmorangie Tusail, which nearly fell out of its box as I was transporting it from the car to the house. That would have sucked if Id dropped it!

Bill

Hi Bill,

Missed the tasting. She-who-must-be-obeyed had other plans (Kirk Hammett's horror movie poster collection at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem Record Exchange, Tennessee BBQ). I'm with you on the JW Blue. It is bland. Don't understand the hype. Must be the price and the fancy box, but that's it. And I'm with you on the Laphroaig Cask Strength. We have a bottle and we dole it out sparingly. We like it better than the "regular" Laphroaig.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Hi Bill,

Missed the tasting. She-who-must-be-obeyed had other plans (Kirk Hammett's horror movie poster collection at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem Record Exchange, Tennessee BBQ). I'm with you on the JW Blue. It is bland. Don't understand the hype. Must be the price and the fancy box, but that's it. And I'm with you on the Laphroaig Cask Strength. We have a bottle and we dole it out sparingly. We like it better than the "regular" Laphroaig.
    Sounds like you had a nice night out on the North Shore! One of the bands I'm in is largely based in Salem. Where did you do Tennessee BBQ?

Good to hear I'm not the only one who is so-so on the JW Blue. And I could definitely see having a bottle of Laphroaig Cask Strength around, to be used as you say... sparingly.

Anyway, great evening. Sorry I missed you but glad you had fun!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Here's the PEv2 thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...php/180-Scotch

Scroll down to post # 76
    Thanks Coz
    I'll post it here
    scotch_flavor_map.jpg

Yup, that's one of those two maps I was speaking of , but that map is sooo bloody small

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Auchentoshan Three Wood
    I started with this. Lovely. Very sweet and floral with good body. I'd consider getting this in the future.

Bowmore 12
    Went to this second. Should have started here, this was the most "neutral" of all the Scotches I tasted. Nice, beautifully balanced, but noting particularly grabbed me. A good value drinker, but I personally look for more in Scotch because I drink it rarely.

Glenmorangie Tusail
    Went to this next. Suffice to say this was my favorite and this is what I walked out with. A bit of bite at first, but then a lovely floral aftertaste. Stunning. This is what I look for in whiskey. It looks like my store has more bottles, so maybe I can get more when this is done in 6 months or so. Got a good price on this bottle due to the tasting sale.

Dalwhinnie 15 YR
    This was my next one, and next to the Glenmorangie I think I liked second best. Great at the price point! So this is now on my radar.

So, there it is. Very proud of our Glenmorangie Tusail, which nearly fell out of its box as I was transporting it from the car to the house. That would have sucked if Id dropped it!

Bill
    Hey Bill,

In general it looks like we've got fairly similar tastes

very happy of your return on the Tusail... How much did that set you back for?

I find Dalwhinnie very "grassy" tasting, BTW
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Auchentoshan Three Wood

Bowmore 12

Glenmorangie Tusail

Dalwhinnie 15 YR

Johnnie Walker Blue

Lagavulin 16 YR

Laphroaig Cask Strength
    Hey Bill, that sounds like it was a great little event. I'm happy you tried the Tusail and enjoyed it enough to buy a bottle. I have heard good things, but never pulled the trigger on a bottle.

It's also perfect that you had the opportunity to try Blue Label in the midst of these other single malts. What a perfect way to compare. It's difficult to change people's perceptions however. If something has become trendy to the masses, that becomes consensus. You see everyone with Black/Blue label for scotch, Patron for tequila, Grey Goose for vodka, etc.

I have been milking a bottle of Dalwhinnie for about 4 years now. It's definitely a combination of floral and grassy with light smoke.

The Bowmore 12 is okay, but likely not something I would reach for again.

All Laphroaig is great to sublime imo. Even there new "select" cheapy bottle is still core taste.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Where did you do Tennessee BBQ?
    Hi Bill,

The one we go to is on Route 114 in Peabody. Good news for you; there's one in Braintree. https://www.tennesseesbbq.com/
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Hey Bill,

In general it looks like we've got fairly similar tastes

very happy of your return on the Tusail... How much did that set you back for?

I find Dalwhinnie very "grassy" tasting, BTW
    The Tusail was like $85. Pricey, and this was reduced a bit because of the tasting. But I don't drink much whiskey, so this will last me a long time and I'll enjoy it a lot when I do. I also really liked the Dalwinnie and may pick up a bottle of that down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Hey Bill, that sounds like it was a great little event. I'm happy you tried the Tusail and enjoyed it enough to buy a bottle. I have heard good things, but never pulled the trigger on a bottle.
    Yeah, I was excited to try this after what you said, and it really stood out from the pack for me and had the characteristics I enjoy most.

It's also perfect that you had the opportunity to try Blue Label in the midst of these other single malts. What a perfect way to compare. It's difficult to change people's perceptions however. If something has become trendy to the masses, that becomes consensus. You see everyone with Black/Blue label for scotch, Patron for tequila, Grey Goose for vodka, etc.
    I really didn't know what to expect from the JW Blue, but even compared to the Bowmore I found it bland. It's definitely smooth as silk, I'll give it that, but there is just no complexity, no fullness of flavor. I guess some people like that, which is fine, but even someone like me who likes the lighter, more fruity/floral side of the drink, would find this very mild in comparison with others. I certainly don't fault JW for riding this horse for all it's worth, but I think there's a lot of hype that's keeping the price on this so high.

I have been milking a bottle of Dalwhinnie for about 4 years now. It's definitely a combination of floral and grassy with light smoke.

The Bowmore 12 is okay, but likely not something I would reach for again.

All Laphroaig is great to sublime imo. Even there new "select" cheapy bottle is still core taste.
    Yeah, it was great to try all of these and put them in perspective. I may look for that less expensive Laphroaig at some point. I was surprised how much I liked these and wouldn't mind trying some at home over a longer period of time to see how I react to it in different circumstances.

Bill

Lagavulin tonight lads! The best!!!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Sipping on a Laphroaig Cask Strength, myself.

Of the peaty/smoky Scotch whiskies, which is a good entry-level one? Historically I haven't been too fond of them, but maybe I just haven't tried the right one... What would you gents suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Of the peaty/smoky Scotch whiskies, which is a good entry-level one? Historically I haven't been too fond of them, but maybe I just haven't tried the right one... What would you gents suggest?
    If you're looking to buy a bottle (and not to taste at a bar), my suggestion is Laphroaig or Bowmore (from a price standpoint). Laphroaig is going to be more on that "stenchy, medicinal" side. Bowmore is more traditionally smoky like Talisker, Dewars or JW Black.

Depending on how you like the strength of your choice, there is a new Laphroaig called "select" which is a non-age statement which is 80 proof. I got a bottle, and while it's not my favorite, it's still definitively Laphroaig at a slightly lower price point. Beyond that, the 10 year is an obvious choice. But my personal favorite is Quarter Cask.

With Bowmore, I'm not a huge fan personally, but Bowmore 12 is pretty solid and reasonably priced. I prefer Talisker.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Aaron - I would recommend the following - I have enjoyed all of these lightly peaters:

Jura - Superstition
    Bowmore 12
    Highland Park 12
    Caol Ila - maybe more peated than the others but a top 10 single malt for me regardless of price/style. An amazing dram.

I would avoid the big three Islay monsters (Lagavulin, Laphroig, and Ardbeg) until your palette is ready, then get into this bunch. All three are incredible.

And I'll add this: peated whiskies are the essence of Scotland for me - I truly feel a connection with the land and history of this amazing place more so than non-peated drams. It may sound crazy, but its how I feel. Having said that, I also enjoy my MacCallans, Balvenies, Glenmorangies, etc etc just as much on certain days.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    And I'll add this: peated whiskies are the essence of Scotland for me - I truly feel a connection with the land and history of this amazing place more so than non-peated drams. It may sound crazy, but its how I feel. Having said that, I also enjoy my MacCallans, Balvenies, Glenmorangies, etc etc just as much on certain days.
    I can understand where you're coming from... these island malts are representing Scotland's more wild nature side (peatbogs, sea salt, ocean winds, frozen unprotected gonads under the kilt, burned/smoked slimy limey corpses taken from looted shipwrecks, etc...), soooo, in some ways you're right: they're spiritually more representative of the hardship the land endures than those carefully mellowed-down and delicately-balanced Speyside malts... siffle.gif

rotflmao.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've had the Highland Park 12 and that's a damn fine whisky
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've had the Highland Park 12 and that's a damn fine whisky
    I third the HP12 recco.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I can understand where you're coming from... these island malts are representing Scotland's more wild nature side (peatbogs, sea salt, ocean winds, frozen unprotected gonads under the kilt, burned/smoked slimy limey corpses taken from looted shipwrecks, etc...), soooo, in some ways you're right: they're spiritually more representative of the hardship the land endures than those carefully mellowed-down and delicately-balanced Speyside malts... siffle.gif
    That's pretty spot on!

Here is one of my new favorites:

(pronounced "broock-laddie")

The amount of flavor and richness is difficult to describe and match. But if you're a fan of Laphroaig, Kilchoman, and/or Ardbeg Corryvreckan or Uigeadail, this is a must try.

Here is one of my new favorites:

(pronounced "broock-laddie")

The amount of flavor and richness is difficult to describe and match. But if you're a fan of Laphroaig, Kilchoman, and/or Ardbeg Corryvreckan or Uigeadail, this is a must try.
    Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I've had my eye on this! I'm a huge Ardbeg and Laphroaig fanatic, so it looks like I'm in! About how much did you shell out for this dram, Cozy?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Hmmm....another Islay? Sounds interesting - never met an Islay I didn't like, actually its my favorite location for Scottish whisky, so this interests me! I'll have to research - cheers.

I third the HP12 recco.
    Motion carried.

HP is interesting to me as it's more "balanced" than the assault of Laphroigs and the pummelling of Lagavulin. And I like a good, pummelling assault, mind you....but people looking to start out with the smoke would do well to try Highland Park's standard 12 year old. I know folks who were completely turned off Malt by Laphroig. I had to nurse them back to balance with Macallan.....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

...Also, I hasten to mention that Highland Park is not an Islay whisky, but an Island whisky, like, for instance, Talisker.

And has anyone recommended Springbank yet? How about Isle of Arran....? I had this some time ago:https://www.arranwhisky.com/shop-whi...lt-8th-edition
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."