Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Change of colours for the Glenmorangie
    the Sauternes Nectar d'Or casks malt doesn't have an age statement anymoren$, and cjhanged from white to gold dominance label
    the Sherry Lasanta casks aged malts stay at 12y , but changed from burgundy to bright red dominant label.
    The Port Casks Quinta Ruban aged-malts has risen to 14y statement and changed from black label to a dark green dominance label.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Change of colours for the Glenmorangie
    the Sauternes Nectar d'Or casks malt doesn't have an age statement anymoren$, and cjhanged from white to gold dominance label
    the Sherry Lasanta casks aged malts stay at 12y , but changed from burgundy to bright red dominant label.
    The Port Casks Quinta Ruban aged-malts has risen to 14y statement and changed from black label to a dark green dominance label.
    Three of my favs.
    Each is very different from the other. And reasonable in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Three of my favs.
    Each is very different from the other. And reasonable in price.
    Same here.

I Just kicked a Quinta Ruban about a week ago. Now I am Glenmorangieless.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I Just kicked a Quinta Ruban about a week ago. Now I am Glenmorangieless.
    It's Burns Night on Monday, Frankie - what are you going to do?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    It's Burns Night on Monday, Frankie - what are you going to do?!?!
    I guess a few drams, some Scottish tunes, and maybe read a few Burns poems? No haggis here to address unfortunately. What am I missing? Do you do a big celebration?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Got a bottle of Oban for Xmas
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A’bunadh and Laprhoaig 10CS are two good choices for Burns Night.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Got a bottle of Oban for Xmas
    Oh yeah! Love it. Had it in our B&B in Glencoe. Rained most of the time during those 2 days but loved it just as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Haven't had the A'bunadh in years now, but that bottle will go down as legendary. Used to completely kick my ass - must be cask strength or something - I forget. Brilliant dram though. Laphroaig is too of course. Three words: Triple Wood. Doh - meant two words.

I guess a few drams, some Scottish tunes, and maybe read a few Burns poems? No haggis here to address unfortunately. What am I missing? Do you do a big celebration?
    This year, with our kids far flung, we'll try something on Zoom. We've all got our (vegan) haggis from McSween in Edinburgh. There will be pomes recited from each venue, I'll toast my/the lassies - & I'll toast the haggis, whilst everyone everywhere plunges their sgian-dubhs into their haggis, warm reekin' rich.

And drams will be drunk!!!

Aye, haggis demands whisky with fire in its belly. Islay malts are just the job.

Happy Burns Night! Ardbed Dark Cove poured! That bottle is on life support and the end is near.

Happy Burns Night! Ardbed Dark Cove poured! That bottle is on life support and the end is near.
    Nice. I had a 9 year Gordon & Macphail peated cask strength Bunnahabhain, aged in a sherry hogshead.

Nice. I had a 9 year Gordon & Macphail peated cask strength Bunnahabhain, aged in a sherry hogshead.
    Sounds delicious!

I was with my 2001 Bowmore, matured in Refill Sherry Butts (unfiltered). It's from a limited bottling of just 787 in total (this one is no 639!).

I've had it open for quite a while, & had found it slightly too fiery & a wee bit overpowering. But time has mellowed it to perfection, & it made a glorious partner for the haggis. It's still got plenty of smokey peat & iodine, but now the depth of the grain flavours has started to come through, & it's much more well rounded.

Oooh....worth a purchase?

Which brings up a largely unrelated question I've wondered about ever since hearing Sgt. Pepper's. Wtf is a hogshead?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Which brings up a largely unrelated question I've wondered about ever since hearing Sgt. Pepper's. Wtf is a hogshead?
    I thought it was a large barrel or cask, but I could be wrong.

Whollyyy bull!!

I got around to opening that undefined (unlabelled) bottle last night that my Mom had given me a year ago (she didn't know what it was either), and it turns out to be a great calvados (it's been decades since I've drank that other than in deserts' recipes). I'm usually not much a fan of calvados alone, but this one is pretty good.

According to my mom, it (the bottle) had been sitting in my dad's basement in Nantes for at least 20 years, if not more. I guess it was a gift from some cider company (most of themwho also distill calvados).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You are correct
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Sounds delicious!

I was with my 2001 Bowmore, matured in Refill Sherry Butts (unfiltered). It's from a limited bottling of just 787 in total (this one is no 639!).

I've had it open for quite a while, & had found it slightly too fiery & a wee bit overpowering. But time has mellowed it to perfection, & it made a glorious partner for the haggis. It's still got plenty of smokey peat & iodine, but now the depth of the grain flavours has started to come through, & it's much more well rounded.
    Very nice. I have had many open bottles that 'settle' after a few weeks or months.

Oooh....worth a purchase?
    It was an independent bottling, so long out of circulation. However peated Bunna can be glorious if you can find it. There's a current bottling called "Ceobanach" that I would recommend. Beyond that, you'd have to see what you can find at some of the stores in your area in terms of independent bottlings.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You are correct
    OK, thanks. "...and lastly through a hogshead of real fire..." Wouldn't have guessed that from that lyric. Anyway, I've toyed with the idea of a WOT thread on Britishisms that I don't know the meaning of, or do but don't know the provenance of the term. I expect most Americans and Merkins don't know them, so...one of these days.

So my glorious go to Laphroig QC has gone up $20 and I'm not pleased. Once again friends, if you could recommend some under $80 delights that taste like I'm drinking a campfire my liver and I would be eternally grateful.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    So my glorious go to Laphroig QC has gone up $20 and I'm not pleased. Once again friends, if you could recommend some under $80 delights that taste like I'm drinking a campfire my liver and I would be eternally grateful.
    Keep in mind that the last administration allowed a tariff with the UK to move forward about 15 months ago. This included a 25% tariff on scotch. Some distilleries and distributors have absorbed some of that cost. But at this point, it's increased the average price of a bottle anywhere between $10-25 bucks. Let's hope this eventually gets resolved.

That said...

Ardbeg Wee Beastie 5yr: perhaps now the best cheaper peated name brand out there. Usually you can find it for $40-45.

Ardbeg Uigeadail or Corryvreckan - Very popular NAS whiskies that are both regarded for different reasons. $75-95.

Finlaggan - If you can find it, this is super cheap and slightly blunt/cheap tasting campfire whisky. I was able to find it for $25.

Lagavulin 8 - Less subtle and refined than the 16 yr, this packs a pretty heavy punch as well. You should be able to find it between $45-60.

Talisker 10 - Should still be available for $60-75.

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 - Definitely recommend this one, combining sweet malty flavors with high octane peat. Typically $60-75.

Kilchoman Machir Bay or Sanaig - Sanaig tastes a bit more like Laphroaig. Machir Bay tastes like the Port Charlotte. Pricing I've found between $55-80.

Ledaig 10 - Like a poor man's Lag 16. $50-75.

Highland Park Vikings Honor (or something like that) isn't as peaty, but still good, and in your price range.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth
    Finlaggan - If you can find it, this is super cheap and slightly blunt/cheap tasting campfire whisky. I was able to find it for $25.
    Only place I have ever seen Finlaggan is Trader Joe's. I thought it was one of their store brands. If it's more widespread, then chalk up my ignorance to living in a fairly small city. Or to anything you wish. We're all ignorant when you get us away from our area of expertise.

During the pandemic, some Scotch whiskies become unavailable. Store owners order them when the stock dwindles, but the whisky doesn't make it over here. I can list a number of excellent malts that I can no longer buy.

Keep in mind that the last administration allowed a tariff with the UK to move forward about 15 months ago. This included a 25% tariff on scotch.
    What kind of rat bastard would do something like that? It's unAmerican. No taxation without representation! I'd organize a Scotch Party, not unlike Boston's famous historical Tea Party, but it's too far to the nearest sea port and I wouldn't dare waste good whisky by pouring it overboard. Hopefully the new administration will eventually get around to repealing the tariffs, which are really poorly disguised taxes on the consumer.