Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Cool - 2 of my favorite things have finally merged!

"Introducing the world's first bicycles made from whiskey casks."

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...aign=Bicycling

Regards,

Duncan

Ha. I wonder if you get a contact buzz from licking the wood.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Hey - NOBODY is licking my woodie!
    Regards,

Duncan

That's the kind of bike that would get me back on the saddle... it's frigging beautiful.... But probably not made for Belgian cobblestones.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So who here has unopened bottles in their cabinet?

I actually have a few:

Macallan Cask Strength x2
    (discontinued and may not open them until they reinstate it or something similar)

Ardbeg - Perpetuum

Balvenie - Single Barrel 15

Glenlivet - Nadurra 16 Cask Strength (just bought)

Oban 18

Why whiskey tastes better with a little water

CNN -- If anyone has suggested adding a little water to your whiskey, you may want to give it a try. Rather than watering it down, the addition may act as a flavor enhancement, and we now know the science behind it, thanks to a new study...

The rest of the story:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/17/health...udy/index.html

I've always done this. Of course, bottled or filtered water is best.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    So who here has unopened bottles in their cabinet?
    I don't keep my bottles in a cabinet, but they are away from direct sunlight or broad daylight.

And having a single malt bottle unopened for more than 24h at home is unthinkable

It's like having an 40y+ Elle McPherson or Sophie Marceau in your bed and not tasting it right away
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I don't keep my bottles in a cabinet, but they are away from direct sunlight or broad daylight.

And having a single malt bottle unopened for more than 24h at home is unthinkable

It's like having an 40y+ Elle McPherson or Sophie Marceau in your bed and not tasting it right away
    That's an interesting perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Why whiskey tastes better with a little water
    I have had mixed results with this, but I think it's largely because I don't know what the correct amount of water per ounce is ideal and I have heard different opinions.

Additionally, I get turned off some of the pompous whisky snobs who will go to great lengths to tell you it should be "3.5 drops of freshly bottled French spring water that is precisely 63 degrees in temperature and has been blessed by a virgin".

So getting a more pedestrian guide for this would be helpful.

I used to use a teaspoon as a guide but then I realized I wasn't being consistent in the amount of whisky I was adding that to. Now I just guess. I also prefer my water to be purified by a lusty trollop with a full bush.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That's an interesting perspective.

I have had mixed results with this, but I think it's largely because I don't know what the correct amount of water per ounce is ideal and I have heard different opinions.

Additionally, I get turned off some of the pompous whisky snobs who will go to great lengths to tell you it should be "3.5 drops of freshly bottled French spring water that is precisely 63 degrees in temperature and has been blessed by a virgin".

So getting a more pedestrian guide for this would be helpful.
    Do this:

- Select your favorite scotch and pour yourself 5 shots, in 5 separate glasses.

- Add varying amounts of water to each - judging roughly. E.g. a few drops of water, half a shot of water, a shot of water, a finger, etc.

- Take a sip of each, in turn, to see which scotch/water mix works best for you.

- Repeat

- Write down your findings - you're about to forget them

- Finish all 5 drinks

- Put a handful of Tylenol on your bedside table - you're going to need them in the morning.

- Write a note of thanks to me for giving you an excuse to drink 5 scotches in one night.

You're welcome!
    Regards,

Duncan

Ardbeg - Perpetuum
    Wow....can you elaborate Cozy?

I love both the 10 year (Ralfy's whisky of the year) and the Uigeadail. One of the best and most unique distilleries imo. There are people that say these whiskies are just peat blasts with no variety, and they couldn't be more wrong. Ardbeg creates complex masterpieces that go WAY beyond peat, but yeah, the peat is always there. The 10 y.o. is one of the greatest whiskies in the world at any price imo. BUY IT!! It's incredible!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQD4WSfvfC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrwW7qGrq5k
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Here's a story that may be of interest to any millionaire whisky lovers out there...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-41461592

Just got back from Scotland. Went to Islay and took a tour of Bruichladdich (mostly because my wife and I like The Botanist gin which they make) and took pics outside many of the others. Trying to develop a taste for scotch too while in Scotland. We shall see. I did have 2 cocktails on my travels that were Laphroaig mixed with some citrusy stuff and it was a great combo. Came home with 3 bottles of gin and 1 bottle of scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Just got back from Scotland. Went to Islay and took a tour of Bruichladdich (mostly because my wife and I like The Botanist gin which they make) and took pics outside many of the others. Trying to develop a taste for scotch too while in Scotland. We shall see. I did have 2 cocktails on my travels that were Laphroaig mixed with some citrusy stuff and it was a great combo. Came home with 3 bottles of gin and 1 bottle of scotch.
    Sweet. Do you have some pics somewhere that you can post? Did you make it down to the south coast of the island where Ardbeg, Laphroig, and Lagavulin are?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I did have 2 cocktails on my travels that were Laphroaig mixed with some citrusy stuff and it was a great combo.
    Shudder.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Shudder.
    Yeah, I saw that and wondered how many laws were broken there.

I am from Glasgow Scotland although I would not say I was any kind of expert on whiskies. Of the malts I have tried the Balvennie is my favourite although I have a soft spot for a bottle of blended malt I bought as a laugh about 30 years ago called Sheep Dip -
    sheep-dip-whisky.jpg
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/sheep-dip-whisky/
    Meanwhile I cannot stomach regular blended whisky no matter how up-scale it is supposed to be. The best thing to do with regular whisky is make a Whisky Mac - mix it with this stuff
    crabbies.jpg
    https://www.crabbiesgingerwine.co.uk...s-ginger-wine/
    On a cold Glasgow night it cannot be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I am from Glasgow Scotland although I would not say I was any kind of expert on whiskies. Of the malts I have tried the Balvennie is my favourite although I have a soft spot for a bottle of blended malt I bought as a laugh about 30 years ago called Sheep Dip -
    sheep-dip-whisky.jpg
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/sheep-dip-whisky/
    Meanwhile I cannot stomach regular blended whisky no matter how up-scale it is supposed to be. The best thing to do with regular whisky is make a Whisky Mac - mix it with this stuff
    couldn't help but reading Deep Shit on the label

I can somewhat agree that some o these blended (the most current ones) are not for drinking like a single malt, but the majority is made for long drinks
    That's only valid for example for the Johnny Walker Red and Black labels.... The Blue , the Green (made from 6 single label malts, including four from the Isles) and the Gold Label (only tasted one dram of each) seem perfectly fine for sipping alone

In recent years, I've only bought one bottle of blended (and I liked it ok) : Monkey Shoulder

Bought a mini of Sheep Dip when we were in Edinbruh a few years ago - quite liked it.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Two new "toys" in the attic:

Ardbeg 10
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
    Caol Ila
    Bunnahabhain 12
    Jura Superstition
    Macallan 12
    Lagavulin 16 (new)
    The Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 (new)

I'm pretty happy with this stash - by far the most extensive (and expensive) collection of single malts I've had so far.

That's a nice mix. I bought a bottle of Superstition and thought it was just okay considering it was a slightly elevated in price NAS whisky. I bought Talisker Storm with it and found that to be better for me (and cheaper!).

For my next trip to the Montgomery County stores, I will get a bottle of Lagavulin.

That's a nice mix. I bought a bottle of Superstition and thought it was just okay considering it was a slightly elevated in price NAS whisky. I bought Talisker Storm with it and found that to be better for me (and cheaper!).

For my next trip to the Montgomery County stores, I will get a bottle of Lagavulin.
    Thanks man. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with this lot. I Guess if I could swing an 18-year old of something, I would, but they all seem on the verge of "possibly not worth it at that price point", but then again I rarely drink any 18's.

Re: Superstition - I REALLY dig it, and I think I paid $55 or so for it, which is reasonable. Its that nice slightly peaty dram without going overboard either way. Sometimes a straight MacCallan calls me, other times an Islay full of peat, and sometimes a nice mix does too. I think its worth it imo, at least for me. Talisker Storm I have never had (I've had the regular dram). Lagavulin is AMAZING. Period.

Have we covered drop(s) of water vs no water?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's been scientifically proved that drops of water improve the flavor. I generally go with one ice cube.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.