Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You've clearly spent too much time around ashtrays, Hugues.
    Absofuckinglutely
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So my wife is in Las Vegas, while I sit home with the cats in Quincy, MA. I figure what happens in Quincy stays in Quincy, so I cracked open the Glenlivet 12. I'm guessing this is a 25 - 30 year old bottle (not counting the 12 years casking), so I wasn't surprised that the cork had degenerated. I had to carefully fish most of it out of the neck, but some did get in the bottle. I can strain that out later. I had a rubber wine stopper that made a nice tight fit, so it will be OK.

So, how does it taste? Like Armagnac. Light, sweet and fruity with notes of pear and apple. If someone told me this was Armagnac, a drink I know far better than whiskey, I'd have believed them. It maybe has a bit more alcohol taste than Armagnac, but it's awfully close.

Obviously, I like Armagnac, so I basically like this. I definitely had better Speyside, or Speyside style, whiskey in Scotland. We did a nice tasting in Sterling on our last night, and the one I chose was super. The owner of the place who helped us select our whiskeys said this bottle was not imported, so I didn't even bother getting the name. But it was great. Much more complex and interesting than this Glenlivet. We were shocked when we got the bill for dinner with drinks, appetizers main course, dessert, and then the whiskeys that the whole thing came to under $100 USD. The Whiskeys were like $6 USD a glass. You don't get that kind of price for that quality in US restaurants.

But, back to the Glenlivet. It's very nice. Not overpowering, but very nice flavor. I'd probably experiment around with my next bottle, but I'm glad I have this around for when I'm in the mood.

Bill

Bill, I think I've mentioned it before either here or in the old thread, but be on the lookout for the Glenlivet 15 year old. It is a nice step up from the 12 year old and it goes on sale here every so often.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

yes, its pretty good !

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    To bring this back to Scotch, I have been enjoying this immensely:

It's my favorite of the Laphroaig expressions I have tried. It's a mix of smokey, peat, and sweet with enough ABV (48%) to pack a bit of a wallop. The oak comes through strong and the finish is quite long. It's also generally one of the cheaper Islay options one can buy.

I just made my mouth water. Too bad it's 9:30am.

Just bought a bottle of that Lephroaig last night. Mmmmmm mmmm MMMMMM!!! DAMN that stuff is good...puts me in such a chill music listenin' mood too
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Bill, I think I've mentioned it before either here or in the old thread, but be on the lookout for the Glenlivet 15 year old. It is a nice step up from the 12 year old and it goes on sale here every so often.
    Thank you, duly noted!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Just bought a bottle of that Lephroaig last night. Mmmmmm mmmm MMMMMM!!! DAMN that stuff is good...puts me in such a chill music listenin' mood too
    And what's your choice of beverage when you watch the Rangers?
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Something old & bitter?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The Glenlivet could certainly be described as a classic, great for the noob, and what I would describe as very inoffensive. It's because it feels so "vanilla" to me after trying so many other things that it's not something I would run out and buy. But I would never refuse a glass of it offered to me either.
    Funnily enough, one of the dominant tastes in the Glenlivet is "vanilla" - or close to brown sugar! So, yes, definitely "vanilla"!

In Scotland, there are many malts that call themselves Glenlivet - including an excellent one bottled by Gordon & MacPhail. Similarly, there are many different ages, & "The" Glenlivet, at 15, is a fine whisky - significantly more complex than the 12.

If it's the sampling that you're after, often your best bet if you're in Scotland is to find a pub with a good selection. The Bow Bar on Victoria Street in Edinburgh, for instance, usually carries well over 200 malts. Most good drinking pubs will have at least 50 - so then the thing is to make sure you've got a barman or woman who knows their stuff, & is happy to talk you through the options!

I've drunk a fair few, but Mortlach was new to me when I tried it a few months back - & very good it was too.

A region that's often overlooked is Cambletown, in the narrow peninsula of the southern mainland more or less directly across from Islay. For a long time, there was only one working distillery left there, but it's back up to three now. The best is the Springbank - one of the absolute greatest malt whiskies.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Something old & bitter?
    Wouldn't that be the Habs fans' drink of the moment, though?

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Funnily enough, one of the dominant tastes in the Glenlivet is "vanilla" - or close to brown sugar! So, yes, definitely "vanilla"!
    Vanilla is the common new oak cask flavor, though... It's really not difficult to bring out that aroma, but the actual talent is to get it to disappear for something else >> that's why of the "wood finish" in different casks

As for Glenlivet, I can't help but feeling that they copy Fiddich a bit... and both are entry-level malts, along with plenty of Speyside malts and, on the other side of the mainland, Oban

If it's the sampling that you're after, often your best bet if you're in Scotland is to find a pub with a good selection. The Bow Bar on Victoria Street in Edinburgh, for instance, usually carries well over 200 malts. Most good drinking pubs will have at least 50 - so then the thing is to make sure you've got a barman or woman who knows their stuff, & is happy to talk you through the options!

A region that's often overlooked is Cambletown, in the narrow peninsula of the southern mainland more or less directly across from Islay. For a long time, there was only one working distillery left there, but it's back up to three now. The best is the Springbank - one of the absolute greatest malt whiskies.
    I'm not sure the Bow Bar existed on Victoria in the 80's (when my parents lived there for five years), but then again, I might've missed it, cos I couldn't afford hanging around them places.

I recently tasted Arran from the Campbeltown area, but it was just OK.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I'm not sure the Bow Bar existed on Victoria in the 80's (when my parents lived there for five years), but then again, I might've missed it, cos I couldn't afford hanging around them places.

I recently tasted Arran from the Campbeltown area, but it was just OK.
    The Bow Bar was a stunning renovation of a run down old boozer, done by Iain Whyte, something of a legend in Edinburgh - his first renovation was the Blue Blazer on Bread Street in around 1982 - I think he did the Bow Bar in around 1985/86. He's subsequently done The Cumberland in the New Town, & most recently, Thomsons out towards Haymarket (the latter named after the Glaswegian architect, Alexander "Greek" Thomson, a classicist contemporay of Rennie Mackintosh, & whose architectural style is evoked in the bar). Whyte developed the recipe for Deuchars IPA with the head brewers at the Caledonian brewery - who later left to set up the Innes & Gunn brand. The Deuchars transformed the beer drinking lanscape in Scotland, & then in the UK - preparing the way for the now seemingly omnoipresent golden, hopped, summer-style IPAs.

I agree - the Arran is nothing too special. By contrast, the Springbank is glorious - at 10 it's superb; older bottlings get better & better. If you can find somewhere that you can try a dram of a Springbank that's over 20 years old, be brave!

There's an old Scottish music hall song that goes:
    Campbeltown Loch I wish you were whisky
    Campbeltown Loch och aye!
    Campbeltown Loch I wish you were whisky
    I would drink you dry!

Also, Campeltown is just up the road from the Mull of Kintyre...so it's probably Paul McCartney's favourite whisky region too...

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    And what's your choice of beverage when you watch the Rangers?
    hahaha! Usually I just freeze in my lucky spot and try not to move anything for 2 hours. That's a hockey fan for ya!

For games...just beer Can't wait until tomorrow buddy!

Which Laphoraig did you buy?

While I am a fan of Laphroaig it isn't my favorite Islay distiller. I'm more partial to Ardbeg and Lagavullin; but we're really splitting hairs here!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Which Laphoraig did you buy?

While I am a fan of Laphroaig it isn't my favorite Islay distiller. I'm more partial to Ardbeg and Lagavullin; but we're really splitting hairs here!
    Quarter cask...I find it so damn delicious! I love Lagavulin as well. Never had Ardbeg.

Quarter cask is a great value for the price. Ardbeg tends to be a little pricey in comparison; esp. since I'd recommend something higher up the food chain than their 10 year old. In a similar price range to the Quarter cask is the 10-year Talisker, which also has that salty, peaty, slightly medicinal taste. It's from the Isle Of Sky...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

hahaha! Usually I just freeze in my lucky spot and try not to move anything for 2 hours. That's a hockey fan for ya!

For games...just beer Can't wait until tomorrow buddy!
    The jokes running through my mind about "not moving anything for 2 hours" are going fast and furious. But I'll just leave it with a hearty "Game On!".

I will stay with the MacCallan Gold that brought victory last round. My team is so inconsistent from shift to shift that I need something a little stronger than beer to calm my nerves.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quarter cask...I find it so damn delicious! I love Lagavulin as well. Never had Ardbeg.
    Quarter Cask is excellent. It's probably 10 years since I an Ardberg.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I just got meself Morangie's yearly special Bacalta private edition , matured in baked madeira casks that contained Malmsey wine
    https://whiskygospel.com/2016/06/27/...ition-release/
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...dition-whisky/

Sounds like a delicious alternative to the Lasanta, Quinta Ruban or Nectar but at almost double the price (well I paid 79.00 instead 95.00)... I'll get to try that out late this evening.
    Last edited by Trane; 04-26-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I just got meself Morangie's yearly special Bacalta private edition , matured in baked madeira casks that contained Malmsey wine
    https://whiskygospel.com/2016/06/27/...ition-release/
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...dition-whisky/

Sounds like a delicious alternative to the Lasanta, Quinta Ruban or Nectar but at almost double the price (well I paid 79.00 instead 95.00)... I'll get to try that out late this evening.
    Funny, I got one of those too last week. It's quite nice, IMO. Different from the Lasanta and Quinta Ruban too.

Hope you enjoy it!

Almost the end of scotch (whisky) season for me (I usually drink in fall/winter), but in my cupboard at the moment:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
    Caol Ila
    Bunnahabhain 12
    Jura Superstition
    Macallan 12

I do tequila in the summer, plus beers.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    , plus beers.
    well that goes without saying. In fact I want a Tee shirt that just says "...plus beers"

Hey, after all the years putzin' around this joint I'm just seeing you are a Hudson Valleyer. I'm in PR...small world man!

Almost the end of scotch (whisky) season for me (I usually drink in fall/winter),
    That's my MO as well, but the Ottawa Senators are still playing, so I am still drinking whisky to calm my nerves. Once the golf season begins in earnest, I switch to beer and Bloody Caesars (which is a vodka-based cocktail that apparently is unique to Canada).

Bunnahabhain.
    I find that this, along with the Bruichladdich, are pretty much the only Islays to which I turn nowadays.

Bruichladdich is also the home of The Botanist gin, which was at the vanguard of the renaissance in gin distilling in the UK. (The Botanist is quite delicate, & needs a very good tonic water; it is particularly well complemented by a slice of red apple, alongside a slice of lime.)

That said, I don't care for the new branding of the Laddie...