Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Knob Creek is my go-to Bourbon, too. To me, it tastes as a bourbon should taste.

When mixing with a Coca Cola, I chose Early Times Bourbon. It's so rot-gut, but cheap, that you have to cut it with Coke.

Quick bourbon story. About 30 years ago I heard on the radio that the Heaven Hill distillery in Kentucky had burned down the night before. I was working in downtown Boston at the time. On the way to work that day, I stopped in a nearby liquor store and asked the old guy behind the counter if he had Heaven Hill. Came back with a bottle. I paid the $9.99 and then said, "I heard on the radio that the Heaven Hill distillery burned down last night." He retorted, "Well, I guess they weren't doing too well, were they?"
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Woodford Reserve is my bourbon of choice.

To bring this back to Scotch, I have been enjoying this immensely:

It's my favorite of the Laphroaig expressions I have tried. It's a mix of smokey, peat, and sweet with enough ABV (48%) to pack a bit of a wallop. The oak comes through strong and the finish is quite long. It's also generally one of the cheaper Islay options one can buy.

I just made my mouth water. Too bad it's 9:30am.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I had a bottle of that a couple of years ago and it's certainly my favorite by them. This is probably my favorite I have in the house right now:-

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Famous Grouse is awful in my experience. It was like "scotch flavored grain alcohol" for me. I especially do not recommend drinking it neat.

For my money, the best slumming blended Scotch is Dewar's White Label.

The best single malt "daily drinker" which I have gotten as low as $30 at times is Glenmorangie 10.
    I only use blended Scotch for mixing (Rob Roy, Whiskey Sour, Affinity, and others). My go to for this purpose is Grant's, which is cheap, but I really like the robust flavor in a mixed drink. Last time I bought a bottle, I got the Dewar's just to try it out. It's OK, but it's not as strong as the Grant's, and I'll be going back to Grant's. However I'd probably prefer Dewar's if I were drinking it neat (which I never do with a blend).

Actually, this reminded me, I have a bottle of Glenlivet 12 that I took from my dad's. He got it ages ago, and I've had it for six years without opening it. I think this is a Speyside single malt, no? Maybe I should open it and try it? Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

IMG_1211.jpg

I actually prefer Bourbon to Scotch, as does my wife who is particularly fond of it. But I rarely drink Bourbon straight. When I do, I definitely go for Wild Turkey. I haven't actually had Knob Creek, but we should try it. Mostly I just use good 'ol Jim Beam when mixing Manhattans. To me that has the perfect taste that doesn't overpower the other ingredients. We've used better Bourbons for this, (Makers, WT, Old Grand Dad), but we always come back to the Jim Beam, which is a total bargain.

Bill

I like the Glenlivet 12 is a Speyside single malt, very drinkable, smooth and fruity. I think I have half a bottle left in the cupboard at the moment.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like the Glenlivet 12 is a Speyside single malt, very drinkable, smooth and fruity. I think I have half a bottle left in the cupboard at the moment.
    Sounds like my kind of Scotch! I'll crack it open soon!

Bill

To bring this back to Scotch, I have been enjoying this immensely:

It's my favorite of the Laphroaig expressions I have tried. It's a mix of smokey, peat, and sweet with enough ABV (48%) to pack a bit of a wallop. The oak comes through strong and the finish is quite long. It's also generally one of the cheaper Islay options one can buy.

I just made my mouth water. Too bad it's 9:30am.
    Years ago, on a trip to Sweden, our host produced a special bottle of Laphroaig. I hadn't developed my Scotch palate back then but I still knew I was drinking something quite extraordinary. I'll have to keep this one in mind next time I'm whisky shopping.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    . I'll have to keep this one in mind next time I'm whisky shopping.
    I'd like to, as Laphroaig is one of my favorites, but I've never seen it in the wild.

I had a bottle of that a couple of years ago and it's certainly my favorite by them. This is probably my favorite I have in the house right now:-
    I have only ever had the Lagavulin 16 which I found rather unremarkable, especially considering the price point. It was also much closer to Bowmore, Talisker, and perhaps Oban than it was to Ardbeg and Laphroiag (which I admittedly expected since it's an Islay).

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Sounds like my kind of Scotch! I'll crack it open soon!

Bill
    The Glenlivet could certainly be described as a classic, great for the noob, and what I would describe as very inoffensive. It's because it feels so "vanilla" to me after trying so many other things that it's not something I would run out and buy. But I would never refuse a glass of it offered to me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Years ago, on a trip to Sweden, our host produced a special bottle of Laphroaig. I hadn't developed my Scotch palate back then but I still knew I was drinking something quite extraordinary. I'll have to keep this one in mind next time I'm whisky shopping.
    I know what you mean. It took me a little bit to acquire the taste, but now I almost always have at least one Ardbeg and Laphroiag product at the house.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is not for the uninitiated . There is nothing subtle about it. One of the best values for your dollar though.

Ian, I too am currently on a bottle of the double matures Lagavullin. Might be the best from them I ever had.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The Glenlivet could certainly be described as a classic, great for the noob, and what I would describe as very inoffensive. It's because it feels so "vanilla" to me after trying so many other things that it's not something I would run out and buy. But I would never refuse a glass of it offered to me either.
    Good. I'll put myself largely in the "noob" category when it comes to whiskeys, though I have tried a pretty wide variety. I still come back to the lighter styles, which may be an indication I just haven't developed a taste for the peatier stuff, or that I really prefer the lighter type. I'd have to experience more, and do it more consistently, to tell for sure.

Come up to Boston some time, we'll catch a Sox game and I'll break out the Glenlevit, and what's left of my Penderyn!

Good. I'll put myself largely in the "noob" category when it comes to whiskeys, though I have tried a pretty wide variety. I still come back to the lighter styles, which may be an indication I just haven't developed a taste for the peatier stuff, or that I really prefer the lighter type. I'd have to experience more, and do it more consistently, to tell for sure.

Come up to Boston some time, we'll catch a Sox game and I'll break out the Glenlevit, and what's left of my Penderyn!

I'm IN
    Ian

I'm IN
    Totally! We should plan a Boston whiskey tasting night. I'd have to get my ass in gear and get some to sample, beyond the meager ones I have. But we should plan that!

Banned
    Glenmorangie 10 is certainly an excellent choice and much better than Grouse, I rarely find it at a sluggable price in England when I'm buying for my boozy weekend.
    So what does better mean? Can you describe the taste differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Obviously others may not agree with me, but I already described my feeling of Grouse. For me, when drinking something neat if the experience is more alcohol than flavor, it's a good sign of cheap. That's why I commented that it was like tasting "scotch flavored" grain alcohol.

Glenmorangie 10 is a classic that tends to get a bit obscured by the likes of Glenlivet and Glenfiddich at a similar price point. It's a single malt, not blended. It's aged in oak casks and bourbon, which gives the end result a sweeter flavor. It's smooth with Oak, vanilla, and fruit notes for me.

That sounds like a great plan. If we all bring bottles, we will blitzed before the first pitch.

That sounds like a great plan. If we all bring bottles, we will blitzed before the first pitch.
    We'll have to pace ourselves. If we do an afternoon game on the weekend, we could do the game first then the tasting after. That may be more prudent.

Think about a time you could come up, you can stay at our place, we have a guest room and would be happy to have you! Ian is in, there may be others in the Boston area that would be interested.

Bill

Oooohhh... definitely gotta check out the WOT forum more often...

Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 - So far, my favorite. This one is aged 10 years in oak casks and finished in sherry casks. I find the flavor really comes alive and I like to have it before dinner.

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 - I liked the Lasanta so I tried the QR, which is finished in port casks. This is also quite flavorful, but I prefer the Lasanta.

Aberlour 12 - The jury is still out on this. I like it, but can't find much distinctive to say about it.

The Dalmore 12 - I thought this one had a lot of character.

The Macallan 12 - One of the first two I purchased. Smooth and impressive.

Glenlivet 12 - Smooth and inoffensive. After sampling Glenfiddich, I'm surprised Glenlivet isn't more popular. Good to introduce someone to Scotch perhaps?

Ardbeg 10 - My experiment with "peaty" whisky. I think my biggest two problems with Ardbeg is the whiff of chemical like lighter fluid that I get in the nose, and the idea that I feel like I've licked a rubber ash tray even minutes after. That said, ultimately I think it's okay if it wasn't so concentrated. This is perhaps why I like a blend like JW Black in which the smokey/peaty taste exists as an afterthought.

So I seem to prefer the highlands so far. While I'd like to taste Lagavulin, I won't likely be buying a bottle of it anytime soon.
    the QR and Lasanta Morangies are fantastic, but I'm not so dithyrambic on the Sauternes-casked Nectar D'Or

Aberlours are amongst my absolutely faves, but you've got to go past the 10 and 12... But the 15, 18 and Adbunah are tremendous... and Aberlour is amongst the lesser expensive malts in the old world, and probably the best quality/price ratio
    Dalmore and Macallan - read what I write below
    Livet and Fiddich are typical Spey malts, but close to entry level, IMHO

Ardbeg is the utmost medicinal taste you can find... The smokiest would be Laphroiagh >> both rank as my lowest-rated Scot malts.
    Lagavullin is closer to Bowmore and Talisker (or Jura) than to Ardbeg or Laphroiagh, but it's still too tough a drink for my delicate palate ... Definitely peaier than smoky

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But my favorites are Lagavullin and Caol Ila. Both pricy though. I like Laphroig and Ardbeg too though. Those peaty ones are my favorites.
    Got five bottles in my Brussels pad and four in my Dutch pad, but one thing is for sure: I tend to avoid the islands malts, as I can't help feeling like I'm drinking them from an uncleaned ashtray

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Macallan 12
    Macallan rare cask
    20/25 years ago, Macallan was my fave distiller, but I've found much better since and their latest expressions are IMHO rather weak: both Amber and Gold ahave little after-taste in mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    When we splurge (ie, anything beyond the typical Glenfiddich or Glenlivet), our go-to single malt is now 15 year old Dalmore.
    Dalmore is now my fetish distiller... One day, I'll find the River collection (brewed and diluted with the waters from four different rivers in Scotland)

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Unpeated Islay whiskey. Now that I've got to try. Thanks for the notice, Dave.
    That's not the only one, though... but that one is kind of an exception... if you like weird blue-painted bottles.
    And there are a few that aren't that smoky (read above and below), but rather peaty (difference that is nowadays not subtle anymore to me... Smoky (Laphroiagh) is like an ashtray, while peaty malts have an earthier smell)

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    For the novice, what is meant by "peated" ?
    Well I think there is only one Scott distiller that doesn't use peat (and water) to germinate the barley, but peat is often used to much greater extent (or differently anyways) on the Western Isles than on the highlands or the Spey valley malts - and the Lowland malts I've tasted so far are not very "peaty" either

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    My favorite is Auchentoshan. Not easy to get in the US but worth it. It's Glaswegian and, unusually for a Scotch (more typical of Irish), it's triple distilled. Very tasty stuff.
    Go for the Auchentoshan triple wood.... It's an assembly of three barrels, but unlike the usual "finishes", they're matured for the duration in their casks. This gives an unusual amount of matter/solids in the "spirit" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    To you, what is the difference between rye and Canadian Whisky. Up here, rye IS Canadian Whisky...
    Well, that was our GWN wisdom in the 70's... We had the rye and the US had their bourbon, but apparently it's more subtle than that.

I believe rye is corn-derived whiskeys, bourbons are wheat whiskys (not entirely sure about this, as I'm no expert on bourbons) while the Scots use barley only for the single malts

I have only ever had the Lagavulin 16 which I found rather unremarkable, especially considering the price point. It was also much closer to Bowmore, Talisker, and perhaps Oban than it was to Ardbeg and Laphroiag (which I admittedly expected since it's an Islay).
    Totally agree.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Was wondering when you'd show up!
    Ian

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Oooohhh... definitely

Go for the Auchentoshan triple wood....
    That's what she said[emoji6]

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Morangie has a more balanced flavor, less sharp, smooth with fruity flavors, easy drinking. The Grouse is a little oilier and acerbic, less complex. I do like it but if ever given the choice I'd pick Morangie every time.
    Ian

You've clearly spent too much time around ashtrays, Hugues.