Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Top it up with a cheap blend and gift it to someone you hate.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm sure you guys are familiar and it's probably been discussed, but I have been enjoying Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14. It's sweeter than what I usually prefer, but there's some spice in there as well. Very smooth! Nice price too!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

It was she-who-must-be-obeyed's birthday last week. She likes the Macallan very much, so I got her a bottle of 12-year sherry-cask aged.
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 9.52.09 AM.jpg

Very smooth with nice finish.
    Lou

Mr. Bruno's wardrobe furnished by Botany 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm having difficulties working my way down the bottle of my last acquisition: Tomatin's 14 yo
    Hmm. Red berries and toffee is sort of what I would expect from a Tomatin with a tawny port finish.

Is the idea that it's just too 'hot'? It could always be an inferior batch. What I would do is just water it down a bit, Since it's 46% or 92 proof, if you have 1 ounce of Tomatin, each teaspoon of water will lower it about 7.5 proof. Maybe you can find the right ratio.

Additionally, how long have you had the bottle and how much have you had of it? There is a quasi-scientific notion that returning to a new bottle (that's been opened and sipped from a few times) after 1-3 months can help to oxidize and 'settle' the spirit. Based on my own experience, I find this *can* help, but it's a case-by-case (or bottle by bottle) basis.

If all is lost, ship it to me.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm sure you guys are familiar and it's probably been discussed, but I have been enjoying Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14. It's sweeter than what I usually prefer, but there's some spice in there as well. Very smooth! Nice price too!
    Indeed. Glenmorangie is one of the few "entry level" malts that I still purchase. I don't really fancy the 10 year at this point, but the QR, Lasanta, and Nectar d'Or (in order of richness to light/fruity) are all worth getting. The more limited and premium range that I have had I find to be not incrementally better fwiw. I have open bottles of "Cadboll Estate" (creamy bourbon notes), and "A Tale of Winter" (Morangie + Marsala Wine notes). Both are good, but not worth the increased price. That said the "Winter" bottle would fit nicely in the core range if they could get the price down.

Quinta Ruban is just about the best ruby port finished whisky you can find regularly and at a solid price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Hmm. Red berries and toffee is sort of what I would expect from a Tomatin with a tawny port finish.

Is the idea that it's just too 'hot'? It could always be an inferior batch. What I would do is just water it down a bit, Since it's 46% or 92 proof, if you have 1 ounce of Tomatin, each teaspoon of water will lower it about 7.5 proof. Maybe you can find the right ratio.

Additionally, how long have you had the bottle and how much have you had of it? There is a quasi-scientific notion that returning to a new bottle (that's been opened and sipped from a few times) after 1-3 months can help to oxidize and 'settle' the spirit. Based on my own experience, I find this *can* help, but it's a case-by-case (or bottle by bottle) basis.

If all is lost, ship it to me.
    Yes, it is strong/hot, but I'm used to cask strenghts (not every day, but two of my 7 bottles are CS), so it shouldn't be a problem.

This burns the palate all the way downwards and retrieves tastebuds sensibilities for a while.
    I've had the bottle wsince last November and tried 5 or 7 drams from it since, none have been pleasant. I was indeed hoping that oxydisation would help.
    You're right, I may try watering it down (I've done experiments a few years ago with drops from a pipette) and if that doesn't work, it'll go for pastries cooking (my bro does fantastic chocolate truffles with whisky) or long drinks or "Irish Coffee".

Indeed. Glenmorangie is one of the few "entry level" malts that I still purchase. I don't really fancy the 10 year at this point, but the QR, Lasanta, and Nectar d'Or (in order of richness to light/fruity) are all worth getting. The more limited and premium range that I have had I find to be not incrementally better fwiw. I have open bottles of "Cadboll Estate" (creamy bourbon notes), and "A Tale of Winter" (Morangie + Marsala Wine notes). Both are good, but not worth the increased price. That said the "Winter" bottle would fit nicely in the core range if they could get the price down.

Quinta Ruban is just about the best ruby port finished whisky you can find regularly and at a solid price point.
    I regularly return to Lasanta and Quinta Ruban, but will probably not renew the Sauternes cask finish of Nectar, which usually a fair bit pricier (on the continent anyways), given a more elaborate presentation. All three have seen a new cosmetic lift (colours) and the Nectar has lost its age statement (I thin k I posted that a couple of pages ago).

As for those special yearly editions are generally fairly pricy, and very uneven from one year to another.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Trader Joe's Staoisha Single Malt Scotch Whisky 10 Years - Had never seen this before. Claims to be from the northern extreme of Islay. The distillery is not mentioned. There is definitely peat smoke-I can smell and taste that. But it claims not to be as prominently peaty as other Islay malts. Sweet in the first taste and a bit fiery in the aftertaste, but at only 40% alcohol it lacks the greater heat of Lagavulin or Laphroaig. But flavor, rather than ABV, dictates what I buy. Ten years aging makes it smooth enough. Thought it was worth a try from the label description, and I like it just fine. Label also claims only 450 cases produced. If you're interested, get it while you can.

One online entry claims, without evidence, that this whisky is from Islay's Bunnahabhain Distillery. How many drams before I can pronounce that? I have heard of it but don't believe I've tried their whisky yet. I suck at online searches, so be my guest to find more information.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    It was she-who-must-be-obeyed's birthday last week. She likes the Macallan very much, so I got her a bottle of 12-year sherry-cask aged.
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 9.52.09 AM.jpg

Very smooth with nice finish.

Still probably my favorite scotch in that price ballpark. Possibly because it was the first decent one I ever tried, but that flavor never gets old to me.

Definitely a fan of the Quinta Ruban here. Lasanta and Nectar d'Or are also favorites of mine. I've rarely been disappointed by Glenmorangie, although there have been a couple of their limited releases that didn't do much for me. The 10yr is a bit too nondescript for me, but the bulk of their offerings are solid IMO.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    One online entry claims, without evidence, that this whisky is from Islay's Bunnahabhain Distillery. How many drams before I can pronounce that? I have heard of it but don't believe I've tried their whisky yet. I suck at online searches, so be my guest to find more information.
    The only time I have seen “Staoisha” on bottles is with Bunnahabhain, usually independent bottling. So that’s the best evidence I have.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The 10yr is a bit too nondescript for me, but the bulk of their offerings are solid IMO.
    I like the 10 year for what it is, but I’d likely never purchase it again - especially since Lasanta and Quinta Ruban aren’t that much more.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The only time I have seen “Staoisha” on bottles is with Bunnahabhain, usually independent bottling. So that’s the best evidence I have.
    Thanks. That's more info than I have available right now.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Love the Quinta Ruban....its a classic dram for me. Probably in my top 15 or so.