Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    That's the best way to drink it.
    Oh, totally agreed!

I'm the furthest thing from a snob in the spirits space, but the same "love of exploring" and collecting that got me knee deep into music, did the same for spirits. Single Malt Scotch is my favorite of all spirits. For me it's like "jazz", where it's difficult to find a bad jazz record.
    I feel similarly. I wouldn’t consider myself a connoisseur by any means, I just really enjoy the exploration and collecting new whiskies/spirits. Single malt scotch is probably tied with bourbon as my favorite kind of liquor; both can have a lot of variety and there’s always more to explore it seems. I’ve gone back and forth as far as which is numero uno for me, so I guess I’ll have to settle for it being a tie.

I like your analogy to jazz and single malts.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

It's single malts and tequila for me

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    What about Mezcal? Do you like that? Since I had to breathe wildfire smoke most of the summer, I found the smoky flavor of either islay malt or mezcal went right along with the smoky air. Seemed to make it more tolerable. But maybe that's just me. Making the best of an unhealthy mess.

And thanks to the firefighters, who do their best, day after day and week after week, fighting California's megafires. And thanks to the firefighters who do the same all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    What about Mezcal? Do you like that? Since I had to breathe wildfire smoke most of the summer, I found the smoky flavor of either islay malt or mezcal went right along with the smoky air. Seemed to make it more tolerable. But maybe that's just me. Making the best of an unhealthy mess.

And thanks to the firefighters, who do their best, day after day and week after week, fighting California's megafires. And thanks to the firefighters who do the same all over the world.
    Sorry you have to put up with that....must be a lousy situation.

Honestly I've only had it about 5 or 6 times, so I'm not very experienced. However, I love tequila so much that no spirit will ever de-throne it from the top spot (along with single malts).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I heard there’s a shortage of some hootch due to the still apparently backed-up postal service (and maybe other shippers) affecting various supply lines. Have people noticed this?

I notice there are lots of empty shelves in the stores, and you can't count on finding your favorite booze or beer most places. Not to mention groceries or paper goods. There are ships floating off the coast of large import-export docks such as Los Angeles and Long Beach in California waiting to be unloaded. I have not heard if this is true elsewhere, but it is throwing a monkey wrench in the west coast supply chain. This is in addition to the Post Office trying to DeJoy itself to death. Hard times. Probably gonna get worse.

The place where I usually go for booze had a killer selection of single malts...the only limitation I had was knowing my wife will see the credit card statement at the end of the month.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I notice there are lots of empty shelves in the stores, and you can't count on finding your favorite booze or beer most places. Not to mention groceries or paper goods. There are ships floating off the coast of large import-export docks such as Los Angeles and Long Beach in California waiting to be unloaded. I have not heard if this is true elsewhere, but it is throwing a monkey wrench in the west coast supply chain. This is in addition to the Post Office trying to DeJoy itself to death. Hard times. Probably gonna get worse.
    Yeah, sounds like the LA port is the main problem, and is where 30% of imports arrive. Must be a major fustercluck.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I heard there’s a shortage of some hootch due to the still apparently backed-up postal service (and maybe other shippers) affecting various supply lines. Have people noticed this?
    Here's an article about the supply chain snafu:

From pot pies to plumbing supplies to toys, supply chain snarls are creating shortages

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth
    - Amrut, an Indian single malt whisky distillery, makes some absolutely amazing whisky, most of which is aged under 5 years. Because of India's geographical location, the spirit matures faster. I recently purchased their cask strength peated and it's crazy good, maybe the "cleanest" feeling (sorta like peated mouthwash lol) I have had.
    I got to taste Amrut at a liquor store. That may sound strange to some, but this liquor store has a tasting station where you could sample (if you were nice) a tiny portion of bottles they had open. I tried the unpeated Amrut, the peated, and their premium. I tasted the peated last, so as not to bugger the taste of the other whiskies on my tongue. I would have bought the peated but they were sold out of it. I would also buy the premium (I forgot what they called it, but it was damn good-may have been called Fusion), but the store hadn't bought any to stock and only had a small bottle (~airline size) for sampling. They did not have any cask-strength to try or buy.

What I ended up with is BenRiach's "The Smoky Twelve," a 12 year old Speyside single malt smoked over a Highland-sourced-peat fire. Not as heavily smoked as an Islay, and with none of the Islay-associated seaside flavors, but well balanced with the sweet fruity Speyside flavors overlain by just enough smoke to please my peat-spoiled palate. And smooth...as a 12 year old whisky should be. Good stuff. BenRiach was new to the store, although the Scots have been making it since 1898. They also make a smokeless Original Ten. The distillery's propaganda, er, marketing info:

https://www.benriachdistillery.com/e...-smoky-twelve/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wife brought me a bottle of Talisker Dark Storm which is aged in charred barrels, sounds interesting
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I like Talisker, but have only ever tried the standard issue. 10 year old? This city is too wee for much whisky variety.

What about Mezcal? Do you like that?
    I do. I did some tequila exploration from about 2015-2018 and finally settled on 3-4 brands I like, but also ventured into Mezcal. There aren't a great number of choices at stores, but my favorite from what I have had is Los Amantes Reposado.

For the completely uninitiated, tequila is a specific type of mezcal in the same way that bourbon is type of whiskey.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I got to taste Amrut at a liquor store. That may sound strange to some, but this liquor store has a tasting station where you could sample (if you were nice) a tiny portion of bottles they had open. I tried the unpeated Amrut, the peated, and their premium. I tasted the peated last, so as not to bugger the taste of the other whiskies on my tongue. I would have bought the peated but they were sold out of it. I would also buy the premium (I forgot what they called it, but it was damn good-may have been called Fusion), but the store hadn't bought any to stock and only had a small bottle (~airline size) for sampling. They did not have any cask-strength to try or buy.
    Ahh, that's great. Yes, the one you can't remember was probably the "Fusion". So far I have found their premium efforts not quite worth the money, but the core of their unpeated, unpeated CS, peated, peated CS, and Fusion are all very tasty imo.

What I ended up with is BenRiach's "The Smoky Twelve,"
    I got this a few months back and love it! I think it does what every whisky hopes to achieve, which is to taste like you would expect it to. My experience with BenRiach before this was the 10 year and CS. But they recently rebranded and redefined their core range. "The Smoky Twelve" had the most appeal to me because it was "smoky" but also partially matured in Marsala wine casks.

It really, really delivers, as you can taste the bourbon, sherry, and Marsala influences while being properly and tastefully smoked all the way through. I will have to give the other 3 in the range a try, but I will be absolutely buying another of this one. Cheers!

Currently working on the last third of Morangie Bacalta.

I'll go for a dram of Aberlour Casg Annamh afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Wife brought me a bottle of Talisker Dark Storm which is aged in charred barrels, sounds interesting
    I just saw a bottle of Glen Moray 10 yo Fired Oak Cask in my local supermarket (I was looking for Tomatin 12 or 18). Glen Moray Fired Oak is a 10 year-old experimental whisky matured in bourbon barrels and then finished in heavily charred virgin oak casks.
    Nose: sweet fruity notes to the fore here, lots of apple notes with a light marshmallow / cotton candy touch. Apricots and oranges. Vanilla and the typical virgin oak fragrance. Rose pepper and cinnamon pastry. Fairly vibrant and really nice.

Mouth: again a candied fruity layer (apples, apricots), now with slightly zesty citrus (orange peel). Dried pear. The baking spices are much bigger now: vanilla, pepper, nutmeg. It’s got a bit of a sawdust character too, making this hotter than you’d expect from 40%.

Finish: drier, with liquorice and a hint of charcoal.

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/as...d-and-charred/

I can't help but thinking that if they do set fire to the inside of the barrel to build a charcoal layer inside it, it can't be too healthy for the spirit (and for the drinker) that will be in contact with the ashes for a decade or so.... as if the peat smoke of the drying of the malt wasn't enough to get the smoke taste and yet we go further to charcoal taste (see the picture in the middle of the article)

just my 0.02p
    Last edited by Trane; 10-23-2021 at 05:58 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

What I ended up with is BenRiach's "The Smoky Twelve," a 12 year old Speyside single malt smoked over a Highland-sourced-peat fire. Not as heavily smoked as an Islay, and with none of the Islay-associated seaside flavors, but well balanced with the sweet fruity Speyside flavors overlain by just enough smoke to please my peat-spoiled palate. And smooth...as a 12 year old whisky should be. Good stuff. BenRiach was new to the store, although the Scots have been making it since 1898. They also make a smokeless Original Ten. The distillery's propaganda, er, marketing info:

https://www.benriachdistillery.com/e...-smoky-twelve/

A few years ago, wifey and I were in New Hampshire and spied this Ben Riach limited release (picture below) in one of the state liquor stores. Figure we'd give it a try. So so good. Loved it so much we went back and got the burgundy cask version. That one not peated.

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 9.21.01 AM.jpg
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^Sounds excellent. Gotta find a better liquor store.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Talisker 10 year has pretty much become my goto as the price is up my alley ...but it tastes damn good! Just tonight I decided to splurge a bit in the Talisker realm and got myself the distillers edition. Has anyone had this one? Gonna dip in tonight and listen to some random 5.1 mixes
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Talisker 10 year has pretty much become my goto as the price is up my alley ...but it tastes damn good! Just tonight I decided to splurge a bit in the Talisker realm and got myself the distillers edition. Has anyone had this one? Gonna dip in tonight and listen to some random 5.1 mixes
    You should enjoy it. It’s essentially the 10 year that then spends 6-12 months additional in sherry casks. So it should add a dark fruit tinge to the overall Talisker smoky goodness.

You should enjoy it. It’s essentially the 10 year that then spends 6-12 months additional in sherry casks. So it should add a dark fruit tinge to the overall Talisker smoky goodness.
    Yes...it is very good!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Happy Burns Night, proggers & poetasters alike.

It's an 18 year old Glenmorangie that's doing the duty here with my (vegan) haggis (MacSweens, natch), neeps & tatties.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Happy Burns Night, proggers & poetasters alike.

It's an 18 year old Glenmorangie that's doing the duty here with my (vegan) haggis (MacSweens, natch), neeps & tatties.
    Enjoy!

I won't have the food choices, but I'll find the appropriate nectar tonight.

Did I read somewhere that, to properly celebrate Burns Night, that you should favor peated whisky as that would be the traditional choice?

You guys drove me to visit my Dalmore 15 and will follow it up with my Auchentoshan triple distilled Three Wood.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Enjoy!

I won't have the food choices, but I'll find the appropriate nectar tonight.

Did I read somewhere that, to properly celebrate Burns Night, that you should favor peated whisky as that would be the traditional choice?
    Burns was from Ayrshire, in the southwest of Scotland - so the nearest distillery would be Springbank (not contemporary with Burns) - which produces a brilliant whisky.

I'd say the arguments in favour of peat are more about coping with the rich flavour of the haggis, than anything to do with tradition... But I'm just guessing!

Slainte!

I'm having difficulties working my way down the bottle of my last acquisition: Tomatin's 14 yoouch.gif

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...ny-port-finish
    https://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/to...-port-46-70cl/

Thing burns all the way down to my intestines

So bad that I can't even have a whiff of
    Official Notes: Rich but balanced aromas of red berries, sweet honey and rich toffee develop into aspects of light fruits and nuts on the palate and an abiding finish of smooth fruit salad
    Could be my worst buy in decades (or since we've had Scotch threads on PE).

What alternate use could I make out of this "spirit" other than make long drinks.