Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

  1. #826
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    5,039
    Change of colours for the Glenmorangie
    the Sauternes Nectar d'Or casks malt doesn't have an age statement anymoren$, and cjhanged from white to gold dominance label
    the Sherry Lasanta casks aged malts stay at 12y , but changed from burgundy to bright red dominant label.
    The Port Casks Quinta Ruban aged-malts has risen to 14y statement and changed from black label to a dark green dominance label.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  2. #827
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Change of colours for the Glenmorangie
    the Sauternes Nectar d'Or casks malt doesn't have an age statement anymoren$, and cjhanged from white to gold dominance label
    the Sherry Lasanta casks aged malts stay at 12y , but changed from burgundy to bright red dominant label.
    The Port Casks Quinta Ruban aged-malts has risen to 14y statement and changed from black label to a dark green dominance label.
    Three of my favs.
    Each is very different from the other. And reasonable in price.

  3. #828
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Three of my favs.
    Each is very different from the other. And reasonable in price.
    Same here.

  4. #829
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,139
    I Just kicked a Quinta Ruban about a week ago. Now I am Glenmorangieless.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  5. #830
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I Just kicked a Quinta Ruban about a week ago. Now I am Glenmorangieless.
    It's Burns Night on Monday, Frankie - what are you going to do?!?!

  6. #831
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    It's Burns Night on Monday, Frankie - what are you going to do?!?!
    I guess a few drams, some Scottish tunes, and maybe read a few Burns poems? No haggis here to address unfortunately. What am I missing? Do you do a big celebration?

  7. #832
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,920
    Got a bottle of Oban for Xmas
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  8. #833
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,597
    A’bunadh and Laprhoaig 10CS are two good choices for Burns Night.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  9. #834
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Got a bottle of Oban for Xmas
    Oh yeah! Love it. Had it in our B&B in Glencoe. Rained most of the time during those 2 days but loved it just as much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    A’bunadh and Laprhoaig 10CS are two good choices for Burns Night.
    Haven't had the A'bunadh in years now, but that bottle will go down as legendary. Used to completely kick my ass - must be cask strength or something - I forget. Brilliant dram though. Laphroaig is too of course. Three words: Triple Wood. Doh - meant two words.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  10. #835
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I guess a few drams, some Scottish tunes, and maybe read a few Burns poems? No haggis here to address unfortunately. What am I missing? Do you do a big celebration?
    This year, with our kids far flung, we'll try something on Zoom. We've all got our (vegan) haggis from McSween in Edinburgh. There will be pomes recited from each venue, I'll toast my/the lassies - & I'll toast the haggis, whilst everyone everywhere plunges their sgian-dubhs into their haggis, warm reekin' rich.

    And drams will be drunk!!!

  11. #836
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    A’bunadh and Laprhoaig 10CS are two good choices for Burns Night.
    Aye, haggis demands whisky with fire in its belly. Islay malts are just the job.

  12. #837
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,139
    Happy Burns Night! Ardbed Dark Cove poured! That bottle is on life support and the end is near.

  13. #838
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,597
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Happy Burns Night! Ardbed Dark Cove poured! That bottle is on life support and the end is near.
    Nice. I had a 9 year Gordon & Macphail peated cask strength Bunnahabhain, aged in a sherry hogshead.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  14. #839
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Nice. I had a 9 year Gordon & Macphail peated cask strength Bunnahabhain, aged in a sherry hogshead.
    Sounds delicious!

    I was with my 2001 Bowmore, matured in Refill Sherry Butts (unfiltered). It's from a limited bottling of just 787 in total (this one is no 639!).

    I've had it open for quite a while, & had found it slightly too fiery & a wee bit overpowering. But time has mellowed it to perfection, & it made a glorious partner for the haggis. It's still got plenty of smokey peat & iodine, but now the depth of the grain flavours has started to come through, & it's much more well rounded.

  15. #840
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Nice. I had a 9 year Gordon & Macphail peated cask strength Bunnahabhain, aged in a sherry hogshead.
    Oooh....worth a purchase?

  16. #841
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,552
    Which brings up a largely unrelated question I've wondered about ever since hearing Sgt. Pepper's. Wtf is a hogshead?
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  17. #842
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Which brings up a largely unrelated question I've wondered about ever since hearing Sgt. Pepper's. Wtf is a hogshead?
    I thought it was a large barrel or cask, but I could be wrong.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  18. #843
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    5,039
    Whollyyy bull!!

    I got around to opening that undefined (unlabelled) bottle last night that my Mom had given me a year ago (she didn't know what it was either), and it turns out to be a great calvados (it's been decades since I've drank that other than in deserts' recipes). I'm usually not much a fan of calvados alone, but this one is pretty good.

    According to my mom, it (the bottle) had been sitting in my dad's basement in Nantes for at least 20 years, if not more. I guess it was a gift from some cider company (most of themwho also distill calvados).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  19. #844
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,920
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I thought it was a large barrel or cask, but I could be wrong.
    You are correct
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  20. #845
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,597
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Sounds delicious!

    I was with my 2001 Bowmore, matured in Refill Sherry Butts (unfiltered). It's from a limited bottling of just 787 in total (this one is no 639!).

    I've had it open for quite a while, & had found it slightly too fiery & a wee bit overpowering. But time has mellowed it to perfection, & it made a glorious partner for the haggis. It's still got plenty of smokey peat & iodine, but now the depth of the grain flavours has started to come through, & it's much more well rounded.
    Very nice. I have had many open bottles that 'settle' after a few weeks or months.

    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Oooh....worth a purchase?
    It was an independent bottling, so long out of circulation. However peated Bunna can be glorious if you can find it. There's a current bottling called "Ceobanach" that I would recommend. Beyond that, you'd have to see what you can find at some of the stores in your area in terms of independent bottlings.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  21. #846
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,552
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I thought it was a large barrel or cask, but I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You are correct
    OK, thanks. "...and lastly through a hogshead of real fire..." Wouldn't have guessed that from that lyric. Anyway, I've toyed with the idea of a WOT thread on Britishisms that I don't know the meaning of, or do but don't know the provenance of the term. I expect most Americans and Merkins don't know them, so...one of these days.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  22. #847
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,774
    So my glorious go to Laphroig QC has gone up $20 and I'm not pleased. Once again friends, if you could recommend some under $80 delights that taste like I'm drinking a campfire my liver and I would be eternally grateful.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

  23. #848
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    So my glorious go to Laphroig QC has gone up $20 and I'm not pleased. Once again friends, if you could recommend some under $80 delights that taste like I'm drinking a campfire my liver and I would be eternally grateful.
    Keep in mind that the last administration allowed a tariff with the UK to move forward about 15 months ago. This included a 25% tariff on scotch. Some distilleries and distributors have absorbed some of that cost. But at this point, it's increased the average price of a bottle anywhere between $10-25 bucks. Let's hope this eventually gets resolved.

    That said...

    Ardbeg Wee Beastie 5yr: perhaps now the best cheaper peated name brand out there. Usually you can find it for $40-45.

    Ardbeg Uigeadail or Corryvreckan - Very popular NAS whiskies that are both regarded for different reasons. $75-95.

    Finlaggan - If you can find it, this is super cheap and slightly blunt/cheap tasting campfire whisky. I was able to find it for $25.

    Lagavulin 8 - Less subtle and refined than the 16 yr, this packs a pretty heavy punch as well. You should be able to find it between $45-60.

    Talisker 10 - Should still be available for $60-75.

    Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 - Definitely recommend this one, combining sweet malty flavors with high octane peat. Typically $60-75.

    Kilchoman Machir Bay or Sanaig - Sanaig tastes a bit more like Laphroaig. Machir Bay tastes like the Port Charlotte. Pricing I've found between $55-80.

    Ledaig 10 - Like a poor man's Lag 16. $50-75.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  24. #849
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    9,552
    Highland Park Vikings Honor (or something like that) isn't as peaty, but still good, and in your price range.

  25. #850
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    2,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth
    Finlaggan - If you can find it, this is super cheap and slightly blunt/cheap tasting campfire whisky. I was able to find it for $25.
    Only place I have ever seen Finlaggan is Trader Joe's. I thought it was one of their store brands. If it's more widespread, then chalk up my ignorance to living in a fairly small city. Or to anything you wish. We're all ignorant when you get us away from our area of expertise.

    During the pandemic, some Scotch whiskies become unavailable. Store owners order them when the stock dwindles, but the whisky doesn't make it over here. I can list a number of excellent malts that I can no longer buy.

    Keep in mind that the last administration allowed a tariff with the UK to move forward about 15 months ago. This included a 25% tariff on scotch.
    What kind of rat bastard would do something like that? It's unAmerican. No taxation without representation! I'd organize a Scotch Party, not unlike Boston's famous historical Tea Party, but it's too far to the nearest sea port and I wouldn't dare waste good whisky by pouring it overboard. Hopefully the new administration will eventually get around to repealing the tariffs, which are really poorly disguised taxes on the consumer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •