Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey, this might not really be a scotch question, but I enjoy a 100-proof tipple, but the only one I know of to grab is Rittenhouse Rye. Anyone have other favorite 100-proof libations to recommend? I one got a really nice 100-proof Scotch at an airport and it was nice, I forget what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hey, this might not really be a scotch question, but I enjoy a 100-proof tipple, but the only one I know of to grab is Rittenhouse Rye. Anyone have other favorite 100-proof libations to recommend? I one got a really nice 100-proof Scotch at an airport and it was nice, I forget what it was.
    Do you like over 100 proof? Lots of cask strength scotch and barrel proof American whiskey at 115-130 proof.

What makes Rittenhouse good rye whiskey for a budget price is the "bottled in bond" designation. All U.S. whiskey that is BIB is exactly 100 proof and has been aged at least 4 years.

For a super cheap BIB bourbon, go with Evan Williams White Label. It's like $15/bottle. You can also try 1792 BIB, Old Forester 1897, and Henry McKenna BIB (if you can find it). And if you want to get adventurous with a cheap corn whiskey (not for everyone), go with Mellow Corn.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Do you like over 100 proof? Lots of cask strength scotch and barrel proof American whiskey at 115-130 proof.

What makes Rittenhouse good rye whiskey for a budget price is the "bottled in bond" designation. All U.S. whiskey that is BIB is exactly 100 proof and has been aged at least 4 years.

For a super cheap BIB bourbon, go with Evan Williams White Label. It's like $15/bottle. You can also try 1792 BIB, Old Forester 1897, and Henry McKenna BIB (if you can find it). And if you want to get adventurous with a cheap corn whiskey (not for everyone), go with Mellow Corn.
    Thanks, I'll look for those! I dont know that I've ever seen corn whiskey. We don't really have any big liquor stores here, it's all mom & pop shops.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Bourbon is corn whiskey, although the percentage of corn in the mash can vary. Straight Bourbon Whiskey must be at least 51% corn.

Wild Turkey makes a good 101 proof bourbon that is readily available.

Back to Scotch:

I recently tried two I hadn't had before: Jura 10 YO and Highland Park 12 YO. No complaints.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I bought a bottle of 12-yr-old Glenrothes the other day. It's nothing special but Steve Rothery of Marillion likes it (I guess because it has some of the same letters as his name, and because he likes whiskey!) so it's become the unofficial whiskey of Marillion fans. Yeah, the Wild Turkey 101 is always available, nothing wrong with that!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Bourbon is corn whiskey, although the percentage of corn in the mash can vary. Straight Bourbon Whiskey must be at least 51% corn.

Wild Turkey makes a good 101 proof bourbon that is readily available.
    I rarely reach for my Bulleit (it's in the NL anyways, and I'm +/- stuck in Brussels for now), but I'm quite happy with it and the clthbag around it is rather cool.
    Would cask strength bourbon and rye make a big diff in the mouth?

Back to Scotch:
    I recently tried two I hadn't had before: Jura 10 YO and Highland Park 12 YO. No complaints.
    Both Jura and HP are fairly easy on the peat and ashtray flavours, IMHO. I've tried the 10yo Jura (can't remember its other name) some 7 or 8 years ago. It was a small half-bottle.
    Climbing up the Highland Park ladder could be a road to my accepting the peat-smoke. I've +/- enjoyed the 10yo so far (it was a small 30cl bottle, which is why I took a chance on it a couple of years back.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I bought a bottle of 12-yr-old Glenrothes the other day. It's nothing special but Steve Rothery of Marillion likes it (I guess because it has some of the same letters as his name, and because he likes whiskey!) so it's become the unofficial whiskey of Marillion fans. Yeah, the Wild Turkey 101 is always available, nothing wrong with that!
    Rothes is my best Scotch buddy's fave malt (although recently Arran seems to be overtaking it), but I find it normal (almost bland) as if an entry-level as a 12yo. I must say that he once in a while splurges for an upgrade of Rothes and it gets major points for those extra years.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane
    I rarely reach for my Bulleit (it's in the NL anyways, and I'm +/- stuck in Brussels for now), but I'm quite happy with it and the clthbag around it is rather cool.
    I've had Bulleit rye and quite like it. Has a full rye flavor and less of the sweetness of some other ryes. Never tried their bourbon. I don't drink much bourbon, not because there are none that taste good to me, but because corn doesn't agree with me. So I'm not the one to ask about modern bourbons, as there are so many I've never tried, and I certainly can't compare them. Nor is my knowledge of cask whiskies very good, because they are hard to find in this town. Others here will know more than I about them. I have never seen Bulleit rye or bourbon sold in a cloth bag in the US. That would be cool. I researched Bulleit rye and the mash is 95% rye and 5% barley. No corn. Straight rye whiskey can be 51% rye and 49% corn.

Both Jura and HP are fairly easy on the peat and ashtray flavours, IMHO. I've tried the 10yo Jura (can't remember its other name) some 7 or 8 years ago. It was a small half-bottle.
    Climbing up the Highland Park ladder could be a road to my accepting the peat-smoke. I've +/- enjoyed the 10yo so far (it was a small 30cl bottle, which is why I took a chance on it a couple of years back.
    My preference is for the smoky, peaty Islay malts, like Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bowmore, and Ardbeg. I knew going in that Jura and Highland Park would be less smoky than any of those, but I was interested in trying the whiskys of the Scottish islands, and these, from Jura and Orkney, respectively, are island malts. The Jura is subtler than the Highland Park, but very good. I've also enjoyed Talisker, from the Isle of Skye, which is smoky, oily, and excellent (to my taste). I'm not averse to other whiskys, such as those from the Highlands, Lowlands, and Speyside. I don't believe I have yet tried a Campbeltown whisky. Just exploring the island regions for now.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I researched Bulleit rye and the mash is 95% rye and 5% barley. No corn. Straight rye whiskey can be 51% rye and 49% corn.
    I have become a bigger fan of rye myself as well. Bourbon is fine, but I'm not in any hurry to expand my bourbon experience. Bulleit Rye was the first rye I purchased for the fact that it had the 95% rye mashbill. They source the distillate from MGP in Indiana. There are other rye brands that use the same mash.

I don't believe I have yet tried a Campbeltown whisky. Just exploring the island regions for now.
    I have become a huge fan of Campbeltown over the last 2 years. At this point there are only 5 brands (Springbank, Hazelburn, Longrow, Kilkerran, Glen Scotia). Glen Scotia is the only one that underwhelmed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth
    They source the distillate from MGP in Indiana. There are other rye brands that use the same mash.
    I had heard that. I have yet to try the other MGP ryes back to back to compare them. Probably won't, as whiskey tasting is an expensive proposition, and because I'm satisfied with the flavor of Bulleit rye. One day I would like to try a top of the line rye, if only to see if the price difference if justified. I did once enjoy Woody Creek 100% rye whiskey, from the part of Colorado where the great Hunter Thompson lived. Made from all-Colorado ingredients. It was excellent and I'd definitely buy it again.

Whiskey Review: Woody Creek Distillers Colorado Straight Rye Whiskey

I have become a huge fan of Campbeltown over the last 2 years. At this point there are only 5 brands (Springbank, Hazelburn, Longrow, Kilkerran, Glen Scotia). Glen Scotia is the only one that underwhelmed me.
    Thanks for that information. It will come in handy when I get around to trying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Rothes is my best Scotch buddy's fave malt (although recently Arran seems to be overtaking it), but I find it normal (almost bland) as if an entry-level as a 12yo. I must say that he once in a while splurges for an upgrade of Rothes and it gets major points for those extra years.
    I agree the basic 12-YR-old is pretty bland.

I went for another bottle of Rittenhouse. It gets the job done.

Was there not somewhere a Tequila thread or a group??

Can't find it, if the case ... Is that already so old that it happened on PE2.0?

Anyways, for my BD, my brother got me a 350 ml bottle (I like the idea of a half bottle) of Silver Patrón, but I can't remember how that one ranks in the Tequila world.

Haven't opened it yet (my BD is monday), but I'm not sure how to go about it in style anymore (haven't drank the stuff since crossing back the pond)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

my brother got me a 350 ml bottle (I like the idea of a half bottle) of Silver Patrón, but I can't remember how that one ranks in the Tequila world.
    In the USA, Patrón is very popular "gold standard" among people who don't know tequila. It's what you order at fancier bars and clubs if you want to have the "in" tequila. I suggest just sipping it, though many like to chill the glass, line the rim with salt and suck on lime slices.

That said, Patrón is a pretty solid offering. In case you didn't recall, the "Silver" means it's not oak aged. Reposado, Añejo, and Extra Añejo are various degrees of aging.

FYI, for you peatheads out there, there's a wonderful new "entry level" whisky out there from Ardbeg called "Wee Beastie". It's aged 5 years, but don't let that put you off of it (considering Uigeadail and Corryvreckan are somewhere in the 6-8 year range but $30-40 more). The mix of bourbon and sherry casks gives it both a sweet and fruity taste, which ultimately takes a back seat to peat and peppery notes. If you didn't know it was a 5 year whisky, you'd swear it was more. I prefer it to An Oa and the 10 year. And because it's non-chill filtered, it rivals and exceeds some of Laphroaig's offerings. Let's hope they don't change it much, because this was a pleasant surprise and likely to be my go-to Ardbeg for a while.

^ Thanks, I'll have to try that. I liked Ardbeg's 10 year quite a bit.

Thanks also for your overview of Campbeltown whiskies. I tried the Longrow because it was supposed to be the peatiest. Was not disappointed; a tasty Scotch. Will try one with more subtle smokiness soon. Unless I see that Ardbeg Wee Beastie first.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just got a Glenlivet 15 aged in French oak barrels, not bad.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

In the USA, Patrón is very popular "gold standard" among people who don't know tequila. It's what you order at fancier bars and clubs if you want to have the "in" tequila. I suggest just sipping it, though many like to chill the glass, line the rim with salt and suck on lime slices.

That said, Patrón is a pretty solid offering. In case you didn't recall, the "Silver" means it's not oak aged. Reposado, Añejo, and Extra Añejo are various degrees of aging.
    Yeah, I checked out reviews and indeedn, a good entry level Tequila.

I had a dram straight up last night. Pleasant enough.
    Brought me back to the 80's, when I was regularly drinking the stuff (generally not caring much about quality) - oddly enough my +/- 12 months spent in Mexico (including 9 months in detachment for my employer) in those years left me with very memories of the brands I was drinking then.

If I get through this half-bottle, I could look into having an extra-ãnejoo as a mainstay between my single malts and my Bulleit.
    I'd look at also a good rhum (I finished my Fidji bottle years ago).

Patron sucks dude. The blanco had a chemical note the kast time I sipped it, which was a while ago. I can name 30 bottles that are better. But if it gets you into the world of tequila, then it serves a purpose.

Heres an amazing brand if you can find it: Riazul. Seriously amazing...all 3 varieties

FYI, for you peatheads out there, there's a wonderful new "entry level" whisky out there from Ardbeg called "Wee Beastie". It's aged 5 years, but don't let that put you off of it (considering Uigeadail and Corryvreckan are somewhere in the 6-8 year range but $30-40 more). The mix of bourbon and sherry casks gives it both a sweet and fruity taste, which ultimately takes a back seat to peat and peppery notes. If you didn't know it was a 5 year whisky, you'd swear it was more. I prefer it to An Oa and the 10 year. And because it's non-chill filtered, it rivals and exceeds some of Laphroaig's offerings. Let's hope they don't change it much, because this was a pleasant surprise and likely to be my go-to Ardbeg for a while.

Wow, that sounds really good! Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna keep an eye out for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Patron sucks dude. The blanco had a chemical note the kast time I sipped it, which was a while ago. I can name 30 bottles that are better. But if it gets you into the world of tequila, then it serves a purpose.

Heres an amazing brand if you can find it: Riazul. Seriously amazing...all 3 varieties
    It's true, there's much better tequila out there than Patron. But like you said, if it helps someone get into tequila then it's not totally worthless.

Encountered a rye whiskey I hadn't seen before. Whistle Pig Piggyback Rye, 6 year old, 100% rye whiskey. Very good.

Thanks for the heads-up. Ardbeg 10 is my go-to whisky, so I'll be checking this out.
    Tu veux un camembert?

I got to try that Ardbeg 5 year old wee beastie. Good one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just got a Glenlivet 15 aged in French oak barrels, not bad.
    Ian - that's damning with faint praise!

Glenlivet - the prince of Speyside malts. Aged to 15 years.
    We're in exalted territory.

And you give it a "not bad"!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Ian - that's damning with faint praise!

Glenlivet - the prince of Speyside malts. Aged to 15 years.
    We're in exalted territory.

And you give it a "not bad"!!!

I'm English, "not bad" is high praise indeed.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm English, "not bad" is high praise indeed.
    "Rather not bad" is the french equivalent (plutôt pas mal)

As for Livet, I'd say that it betters Fiddich by a margin, but it's obvious that it still tries to be its best competition, instead of being its own thing.

Persnally, for a Speyside, my go-to is Aberlour, which really a "sure-thing", whether a basic 12 or the upper cousins 15/16/18, and the special series. Only the entry 8 is average.

"Rather not bad" is the french equivalent (plutôt pas mal)

As for Livet, I'd say that it betters Fiddich by a margin, but it's obvious that it still tries to be its best competition, instead of being its own thing.

Persnally, for a Speyside, my go-to is Aberlour, which really a "sure-thing", whether a basic 12 or the upper cousins 15/16/18, and the special series. Only the entry 8 is average.
    There are many "brands" of Glenlivet - the most well-known being "The" Glenlivet. The Dufftowm Glenlivet is, I think, a step down - & hard to find, nowadays.

There are some independent bottlings, eg by Gordon & McPhail, which are really worth tracking down, & are of comparable standard.

I think Speyside malts (which is where my preference now lies) do tend to come into their own at 15 years - The Glenlivet, the Glenfarclas, Longmorn, Glen Grant, &, especially, the magisterial Linkwood, all show a marked step up in complexity & quality from their 10/12 year old incarnation to their 15 year old.