Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Wife just gave me a Benraich Cask Strength 2 barrel bottle, whatever that is. Seriously, it looks good, and I see a wee dram in my near future.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

That's a helluva birthday gift!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Indeed. My wife is so good to me. I don't understand why, frankly.

My daughter moved to London three weeks ago. Before she left she sold me her bass (an old Kawai). When she came over with it, she brought all the accessories; case, stand, cords, pedals, amp, etc. Most of the smaller stuff was tossed into a shopping bag with fishing gear, posters, and other stuff she thought I might want. The other night, I figured I should sort through the bag as it had been sitting in my "office" untouched since she brought it over. I dumped it all out, and what was on the bottom? A bottle of Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2006 – Dunlossit Farm. Heavenly! Thanks, baby.
    Last edited by Lopez; 02-21-2020 at 08:07 AM.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    My daughter moved to London three weeks ago. Before she left she sold me her bass (an old Kawai). When she came over with it, she brought all the accessories; case, stand, cords, pedals, amp, etc. Most of the smaller stuff was tossed into a shopping bag with fishing gear, posters, and other stuff she thought I might want. The other night, I figured I should sort through the bag as it had been sitting in my "office" untouched since she brought it over. I dumped it all out, and what was on the bottom? A bottle of Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2006 – Dunlossit Farm. Heavenly! Thanks, baby.

Has anyone tried the new "Norlan" glass?

Supposed to be better than the Glencairn..?
    Regards,

Duncan

Just looked it up. Has quite a unique design. I suppose the double wall keeps the whisky's temperature from changing much over the sipping time.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Let me ask the scotch group I am in. I can't say it ever really comes up in discussion, so it might be more of a "you see what you want to see" kind of experience.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    I’ve really been enjoying a bottle of “barreled manhattan” from High West Distillery in Utah which commemorates the repeal of prohibition. The manhattan was a popular drink in the old speak-easys as many of you might know. Of course rye whiskey is the major ingredient. I’m not sure if this makes me a schmuck in the eyes of you scotch experts but I really like it and would recommend giving it a try unless you just don’t like manhattans.

https://www.highwest.com/products/36...-manhattan.php

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I’ve really been enjoying a bottle of “barreled manhattan” from High West Distillery in Utah which commemorates the repeal of prohibition. The manhattan was a popular drink in the old speak-easys as many of you might know. Of course rye whiskey is the major ingredient. I’m not sure if this makes me a schmuck in the eyes of you scotch experts but I really like it and would recommend giving it a try unless you just don’t like manhattans.
    On the contrary, while I drink most everything neat and most of what I have is single malt scotch, I'm not a snob (okay, maybe a bit). I was just sipping High West Double Rye yesterday (and prefer rye to bourbon). I have not had the manhattan mix, but I bet it's decent coming from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Just looked it up. Has quite a unique design. I suppose the double wall keeps the whisky's temperature from changing much over the sipping time.
    Yeah, I also had to look it up. it's quite weird, IMHO.

It looks like a tulip-type glass wine with indeed that double wall and a weird pyramid stuck at the bottom... wonder what that does when you spin/swirl the malt in the glass. It probably stirs it up too much... or maybe that's the point: stirring it strongly
    And yet when you do spin the glass, the bottom shape of the glencairn was allowing you to do it effectively. Here the "tumbler" format makes it more difficult. Not sure the double wall is needed at all unless you put the glass in the fridge before using it (I like my malt slightly cooler than room temp, but not down to fridge temps), but most cognac glass are built to hand-warn the spirit inside it

I bought my two Glencarn for 8.00 apiece, and I'm not ready to put such a price they're asking for
    Last edited by Trane; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:35 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Let me ask the scotch group I am in. I can't say it ever really comes up in discussion, so it might be more of a "you see what you want to see" kind of experience.
    Okay, I received quite a few responses regarding the Norlans.

At about 3-to-1, most do NOT like the Norlan glasses.

The top complaints were:
    - Did not like the lip, too thick, too odd, too bulky, etc.
    - Glasses feel fragile, lightweight, some have broken easily
    - Not good compared to Glencairn and/or no discernible quality for drinking
    - Price

The top compliments were:
    - Cool looking
    - Do notice a difference in taste
    - Best if you always have your hand on the glass (since the double wall keeps your hand from heating the nectar)

Someone recommended "Stolzle" nosing glasses, which he thought were better than Glencairn.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    How big is a glencairn? It looks like one of my beer tulips.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The only real advantages I've heard are:

- Don't have to lift the glass as high as you do with a Glencairn, and

- Can get the nose when sipping - whereas a Glencairn is too narrow for that.
    Regards,

Duncan

The Norlan looks like an exercise in over-design, over-hype & over-pricing.

In Scotland, the Glencairn glass has become more or less ubiquitous in pubs that are serious about whisky. It's a brilliant balance between excellent design & affordability

Ian - the Glencairn glass is around four inches/8-10cm high.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I guess I'll try using a 10oz tulip.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I guess I'll try using a 10oz tulip.
    Fill it up, Ian!!!!

(just make sure you don't spill any when you gie it the swirl!)

Mrs. Dave (in MA) gave me some cool rounded-square engraved whiskey glasses. You have to be careful to drink from the corner or you end up with whiskey on your shirt.

What do you give the whisky guzzler who has everything?
    https://www.1hotpieceofglass.com/col...ooze-dispenser

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't have fancy glasses, just a bit of Lagavullin left, but I laid in a small supply today of rye, brandy, red wine, and beer. I probably need another single-malt. Hopefully no ones supplies of anything will be cut off, but I figured it's a good idea to stock up a bit on this stuff. Also, my son is home from college so it's a new thing to be able to have a drink with him because he turned 21 in January.

Hey, does anyone around here smoke a pipe? I've sort of taken it up to make sure I have enough vices for the duration of lockdown, and probably have to forego . There's (not surprisingly) a big online community of pipe smoking hobbyists ready to geek out with you about pipes, tobacco, and all things pipe and tobacco. So I laid in a bit of a supply of tobaccos as well.

The pipe is just an occasional thing. I'm certainly not getting addicted to tobacco - there must be a load of people giving up cigarettes at this time. I actually went to a cigar shop near here to buy pipe tobacco, but they were closed. Another guy pulled up - he was looking to buy cigars, and he was pretty despondent that he couldn't get any anywhere. I just ordered the tobacco online instead.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 04-24-2020 at 05:32 PM.

I was obsessed with pipe smoking from my college years until I quit in the early 90's, though I have smoked a pipe a handful of times since then.
    I was fond of English style balkan blends, and other esoteric stuff, and favored English classic shapes--mostly straights like billiards, etc. in the Brit tradition--Barling, Dunhill, Charatan, and Upshall, as well as American boutique makers.
    Haven't touched one in at least five years, though, but I still love the smell of Balkan Sobranie.

Not a fan of sweetened flavored American style blends, in general--though there are a few I've liked. Straight Virginias are nice, too, but they tend to smoke hot for me.

See, another thing to geek out on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    What do you give the whisky guzzler who has everything?
    https://www.1hotpieceofglass.com/col...ooze-dispenser
    Gives new meaning to "whisky on the rocks" !

Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Duncan

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I was obsessed with pipe smoking from my college years until I quit in the early 90's, though I have smoked a pipe a handful of times since then.
    I was fond of English style balkan blends, and other esoteric stuff, and favored English classic shapes--mostly straights like billiards, etc. in the Brit tradition--Barling, Dunhill, Charatan, and Upshall, as well as American boutique makers.
    Haven't touched one in at least five years, though, but I still love the smell of Balkan Sobranie.

Not a fan of sweetened flavored American style blends, in general--though there are a few I've liked. Straight Virginias are nice, too, but they tend to smoke hot for me.

See, another thing to geek out on.....
    I'm not going to geek out about it THAT much.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm not going to geek out about it THAT much.

LOL. Yeah, well...I put the pipe down, like I said.