Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The people at Glenlivet are now smoking the crack:

Glenlivet's marketing stunt: whiskey in lozenge form

I know the article's title misspells "whisky." That's not the dumbest thing.
    Last edited by spellbound; 10-06-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Entertaining stuff-

Just bought a bottle of Oban 14, which I mistakenly thought was an Islay whisky. It's on the pricier side of things, so I'm hoping I didn't fuck up.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oban is a lovely whisky
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

No! Oban is one of my favorites! There is magic in that bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Just bought a bottle of Oban 14, which I mistakenly thought was an Islay whisky. It's on the pricier side of things, so I'm hoping I didn't fuck up.
    It's actually a Highland Malt (both taste-wise and geographically), though it's facing the west coast islands on the mainland

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Oban is a lovely whisky
    Very drinkable (last time I tasted it was some 12 years ago), but AFAIAC, it's a bit of an entry level single malt, one that's perfect to stat out with, because fairly neutral (as in "balanced") and see whether you want to go further. Never seen any other expression than the 14 y.o., though.

==============

Down to two (well started) bottles up in my dutch pad and three (also half empty) down in my Brussels one, down from 11 a year ago. Proud of myself, as I wanted to reduce my stock.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    AFAIAC, it's a bit of an entry level single malt, one that's perfect to stat out with,
    Well, if it's an entry level Single Malt, I screwed up. $75 a bottle is way too much for an entry level, and for $5 more I could have had a bottle of Lagavulin 16, which is my favorite. I've still got some of that one, though.

Oban always commands top prices. It has a fanatical following. I wouldn't turn it down but there's others I would rather have.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well, if it's an entry level Single Malt, I screwed up. $75 a bottle is way too much for an entry level, and for $5 more I could have had a bottle of Lagavulin 16, which is my favorite. I've still got some of that one, though.
    Lagavulin is tops (or near tops) in its peated/smoked category, with weaknesses in other categories, while Oban is equal in every direction (from my notes), but tops nowhere (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Oban always commands top prices. It has a fanatical following. I wouldn't turn it down but there's others I would rather have.
    I wasn't aware of Oban's high prices, which IMHO are exagerated from what you two state. I'll try to check it out in Benelux ASAP.

Of course the taxes will play a big role (and Brexit will probably dramatically augment prices), but distances can also play a role. Transit through the Chunnel via trucks towards the continent is certainly less expensive than boat or planes across the planet.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

For the midrange $$, I have recently been enjoying Bunnahabhain and Bowmore 15 thanks to recommendations by Sean and Yves over on Facebook. Very nice stuff dudes...thanks!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Bunnahabhain is wonderful, but I have a very hard time finding it. I suppose I could order online.

Oban is not what I would call “entry level”, but the 14 used to be the entry level expression for the distillery. I enjoy it personally but it’s not my favorite.

Moe, doesn’t Ohio have a pretty good state database of liquors? I seem to recall some grocery stores with some decent prices on items.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    For the midrange $$, I have recently been enjoying Bunnahabhain and Bowmore 15 thanks to recommendations by Sean and Yves over on Facebook. Very nice stuff dudes...thanks!
    Nice.

I bought two bottles of Bunna 18 and both times the cork cracked. The few sips I had also didn't come close to justifying the $120 price tag. The 12 year is a better dram imo and totally worth the bread.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

Moe, doesn’t Ohio have a pretty good state database of liquors? I seem to recall some grocery stores with some decent prices on items.
    I'm not aware of it if it does. The problem is that so many of the state liquor stores are in and part of grocery stores/supermarkets, and are allotted a separate room. That doesn't allow for much shelf space, given that they are selling the whole range of spirits, not just whisky. Since most people must buy the cheap stuff and, in the case of Scotch, blends, it's mostly the top shelf only that is of interest to me. How many different selections can they fit into a 4 to 5 ft space?

As for the price of the Oban, it's what I've seen everywhere around here. (And yes, it was on the top shelf.)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I bought two bottles of Bunna 18 and both times the cork cracked. The few sips I had also didn't come close to justifying the $120 price tag. The 12 year is a better dram imo and totally worth the bread.
    I dig Bunna 18 but I’d agree it’s not worth over double the price. If you haven’t tried it, there are several peated Bunnas as well. I’m partial to Ceobanach.

I dig Bunna 18 but I’d agree it’s not worth over double the price. If you haven’t tried it, there are several peated Bunnas as well. I’m partial to Ceobanach.
    Yeah I had a slightly peated Bunna at a B&B this past summer in Glencoe but I don't remember which one. It was great. Thanks for the tip - I"m gonna try and find a bottle of that. I never met an Islay I didn't love.

Ralfy's whisky of the year 2020 (which is really 2019, no?). Anyway, I won't say what it is to spoil it but it's a non-peated Highlander that I have never bought, so it's gonna be soon (or autumn 2020). I love this guy - he gets a bit deep and philosophical but that is part of his charm. I think I'm gonna pick up his book too. Amazon has it for about $18.

I'll also add that out trip to Scotland this year was truly the trip of a lifetime. Add it to list if you like travelling, and put it near or at the top. Seriously magical place, and that is even without the whisky!

Thanks Sean. I never knew about that website.

Ralfy's whisky of the year 2020 (which is really 2019, no?). Anyway, I won't say what it is to spoil it but it's a non-peated Highlander that I have never bought, so it's gonna be soon (or autumn 2020). I love this guy - he gets a bit deep and philosophical but that is part of his charm. I think I'm gonna pick up his book too. Amazon has it for about $18.

I'll also add that out trip to Scotland this year was truly the trip of a lifetime. Add it to list if you like travelling, and put it near or at the top. Seriously magical place, and that is even without the whisky!
    Yeah, I really like Ralfy and his videos.

Thanks for sharing!

Ralfy's whisky of the year 2020 (which is really 2019, no?). Anyway, I won't say what it is to spoil it but it's a non-peated Highlander that I have never bought, so it's gonna be soon (or autumn 2020). I love this guy - he gets a bit deep and philosophical but that is part of his charm.
    At this point, I'll spoil it, so we can discuss it.

Deanston is a definitely a distillery to watch. The whisky is all non-chill filtered and typically bottled at 46% or higher. The entry level is the "Virgin Oak" which tastes like an entry level, but is better than most at that price point. The 12 year is very solid and gets better as it goes. It's light, slightly fruity, sweet, and vanilla flavor from the ex-bourbon casks. That's pretty much their core range, but they have annual releases at higher ages and other limited releases.

My Deanston "revelation" came when trying one of their specialty bottles. It was a 9 year Bordeaux cask matured expression bottled at cask strength. For a point of reference, imagine a red wine matured A'bunadh. It's amazing. They put out limited releases like this. I believe the most recent is the Fino Cask finish, which I'd love to try.

Glad you like them. I was awaiting a response on FB, totally forgetting about this thread.

I have Bowmore 15 going as well; along with a Lumina by The Macallan, and a Benromach Wood Finish. Three excellent scotches from 3 different regions.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah, I really like Ralfy and his videos.

Thanks for sharing!
    As a Scot, I can attest to the fact that Ralfy conforms to every dismal stereotype of Scottishness from which we have been trying to liberate ourselves for the last three or four decades.

At this point, I'll spoil it, so we can discuss it.

Deanston is a definitely a distillery to watch. The whisky is all non-chill filtered and typically bottled at 46% or higher. The entry level is the "Virgin Oak" which tastes like an entry level, but is better than most at that price point. The 12 year is very solid and gets better as it goes. It's light, slightly fruity, sweet, and vanilla flavor from the ex-bourbon casks. That's pretty much their core range, but they have annual releases at higher ages and other limited releases.

My Deanston "revelation" came when trying one of their specialty bottles. It was a 9 year Bordeaux cask matured expression bottled at cask strength. For a point of reference, imagine a red wine matured A'bunadh. It's amazing. They put out limited releases like this. I believe the most recent is the Fino Cask finish, which I'd love to try.
    I have the Deanston "Virgin Oak" and very much like it. If memory serves, I felt it was better off as a pre-dinner dram because of its more delicate profile. But a solid Sotch in my opinion. And yes, a very affordable price.