Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

I'm just starting on a limited edition bottling of a 2001 vintage Bowmore - aged for 13 years in sherry butt cask, with no chill filtration. It's the 639th bottle of a total of 787.

First impressions are that it is magnificent - huge flavour, with strong peat (although nothing compared to the über smokey malts from the south of Islay), "oiliness", & iodine, but also a slightly "soapy" hint which is a little disconcerting at first. I am one of the people for whom coriander tastes like soap, so this impression might actually be a reaction to a herbal quality in the whisky, which has often been identified as lavender in tasting notes. At any rate, there is extraordinary complexity of taste, with the varying strands each having a very distinct quality, which I don't find to be typical of Islay malts - like the different tastes are almost separated out.

DSC_0480.jpg

A few weeks ago I picked up a bottle of Phenomenology, by Compass Box. Anyone tried this one yet? It wasn't cheap, and I still haven't opened it. Saving it for the right time.

Compass Box is kinda cool with how they try to buck the trend by being a bit of a "maverick" scotch distiller. They've put out some good stuff too. Interestingly, with the Phenomenology they don't put any flavor notes on the packaging or label. Supposedly they want for you to form your own ideas about what it smells and tastes like without being influenced by the label.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    A few weeks ago I picked up a bottle of Phenomenology, by Compass Box. Anyone tried this one yet? It wasn't cheap, and I still haven't opened it. Saving it for the right time.

Compass Box is kinda cool with how they try to buck the trend by being a bit of a "maverick" scotch distiller. They've put out some good stuff too. Interestingly, with the Phenomenology they don't put any flavor notes on the packaging or label. Supposedly they want for you to form your own ideas about what it smells and tastes like without being influenced by the label.
    Oh, for goodness sake. I'm going to have to try this... I wrote my PhD thesis on phenomenology!!

Ok maybe not... £150

Plus, it's a blend

If I learned one thing from my PhD, it's to think twice about spending £150 on a hyped up blend!!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Ok maybe not... £150

Plus, it's a blend

If I learned one thing from my PhD, it's to think twice about spending £150 on a hyped up blend!!!
    But it's made from a blend of Glenlossie, Tamdhu, Highland Park, Talisker and Caol Ila.

Ok maybe not... £150

Plus, it's a blend

Oh I dunno. Not all blends are created equal, and not all of them are bad.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My taste buds are not good enough to justify $150 for any booze.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 05-13-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^^ THIS ^^
    Regards,

Duncan

For £150, it better be better than not bad.

Bear in mind I haven't actually opened the Phenomenology yet. But I've had other whiskies from Compass Box and liked them, so I was willing to shell out for this one.

When the Glenfiddich Winter Storm came out, I got one of those too. Cost me $250, which is probably the most I've paid for a single bottle of any booze so far. Still haven't opened it, though a friend let me try some of theirs. It's good -- better when slightly chilled (their recommendation is to use a frozen grape).

I've had some good Blended, like Monkey Shoulder, but there is no way I'd shell out that much for a blended.... or a single malt

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    My taste buds are not good enough to justify $150 for any booze.
    Welllllll, I could make an exception with some of those rare Dalmore bottling... Maybe Morangie as well, but that would be it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The sweet spot for whisky price/quality is between $50-$100 USD. You’ll find most non-entry core expressions in this range and a fair amount of independent bottlings. My experiences with buying bottles over $100 has been good, but at the same time increasingly difficult to justify relative to the price.

One of my more recent is an unpeated cask strength Caol Ila 15 at about $110. It’s delicious and somewhat unique, but you can get somewhat similar tasting whiskies for less.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

My primary issue with blends becomes understanding the sources and processes the blender is using for the whisky. Compass Box has a decent reputation in that regard, but most others do not. If I’m going to go with a company that sources its whisky from elsewhere, I’d rather go the independent bottling route where one can get taste single malts from distilleries that don’t typically release their own core expressions and/or variations and single barrel offerings from more common distilleries.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The sweet spot for whisky price/quality is between $50-$100 USD. You’ll find most non-entry core expressions in this range and a fair amount of independent bottlings. My experiences with buying bottles over $100 has been good, but at the same time increasingly difficult to justify relative to the price.
    This is 100% true for me.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just got back from a 2-week Scotland Holiday with my family. What an unbelievable place. The people were incredibly warm, the food and drink was superb, and the country itself is just beyond gorgeous. Thanks again to Robin here (per anporth) for the Edinburgh pub suggestions: we made it to The Bow Bar (actually we stayed a few doors down there on lovely Victoria Street), Cafe Royal (wow, just wow), Ensign Ewart (charming too). We had our children with us so we couldn't do a few others, but we managed the best we could. Overall we started in Pitlochry (gorgeous area Perthshire is!) and did a tour at Edradour Distillery which was also lovely and their cask storage room was insane! I bought a bottle of cask strength 13-year old sherry cask whisky (57%) which is really fantastic. We also made it Skye for three nights (incredible place) and did The Talisker distillery (the weather overall was gorgeous - basically autumn-like weather the entire time and very little rain). I also bought a bottle of Talisker Port Ruighe which I have never seen here in the states. We also made it to Glencoe for a few nights, The Isle of Mull (wow, just wow), Staffa (Fingals Cave) and Lunga on The Treshnish Isles to see The Puffins, Balmoral Castle in Aberdeenshire, a Highland Games in Kenmore, and then on to Edinburgh. The drive through The Trossachs and the area to Lochaline Ferry were also stunning. What an amazing place.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^ Sounds great, Frank! Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Just got back from a 2-week Scotland Holiday with my family. What an unbelievable place. The people were incredibly warm, the food and drink was superb, and the country itself is just beyond gorgeous. Thanks again to Robin here (per anporth) for the Edinburgh pub suggestions: we made it to The Bow Bar (actually we stayed a few doors down there on lovely Victoria Street), Cafe Royal (wow, just wow), Ensign Ewart (charming too). We had our children with us so we couldn't do a few others, but we managed the best we could. Overall we started in Pitlochry (gorgeous area Perthshire is!) and did a tour at Edradour Distillery which was also lovely and their cask storage room was insane! I bought a bottle of cask strength 13-year old sherry cask whisky (57%) which is really fantastic. We also made it Skye for three nights (incredible place) and did The Talisker distillery (the weather overall was gorgeous - basically autumn-like weather the entire time and very little rain). I also bought a bottle of Talisker Port Ruighe which I have never seen here in the states. We also made it to Glencoe for a few nights, The Isle of Mull (wow, just wow), Staffa (Fingals Cave) and Lunga on The Treshnish Isles to see The Puffins, Balmoral Castle in Aberdeenshire, a Highland Games in Kenmore, and then on to Edinburgh. The drive through The Trossachs and the area to Lochaline Ferry were also stunning. What an amazing place.
    My wife and I plan to do a similar trip now that our daughter is moving to the UK with her new husband (from Scotland) at the end of the year. How did you get the bottles back to the USA? Aren't liquids "discouraged" from baggage? Is there a limit?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Put them in checked baggage.
    Ian

Frank - I'm so glad that you had such a good time.

But, I can't believe it - I was in Edinburgh for my daughter's graduation two weeks ago. If only I'd figured out the dates, I'd have considered it a privilege to show you around!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Sounds great, Frank! Glad you enjoyed it.
    Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    My wife and I plan to do a similar trip now that our daughter is moving to the UK with her new husband (from Scotland) at the end of the year. How did you get the bottles back to the USA? Aren't liquids "discouraged" from baggage? Is there a limit?
    Like Ian said, I just "padded" them in our checked baggage with dirty clothes and all was fine. I have no idea about the limit, but I remember them asking us if we had more than $800 US to claim perhaps? The Edinburgh Duty Free whisky shop is dangerous - in a good way. I remember seeing Ardbeg Uigeadail for like 55 GBP.

Frank - I'm so glad that you had such a good time.

But, I can't believe it - I was in Edinburgh for my daughter's graduation two weeks ago. If only I'd figured out the dates, I'd have considered it a privilege to show you around!!!
    Congrats! That's OK, it seemed like a blink and we were there and gone. Edinburgh was WAY busier than I remember it back as a college student, but that was the autumn time and we were hammered I'm sure

Awesome vacation, Frank. Seems you hit many of the Scots high points.

I haven't been back for years (actually, decades ) - and your trip report might prompt me to re-work my travel plans soon. I had been planning to take my wife on a tour through France for a "milestone birthday" she just reached. Maybe I need to change those plans, and take her a bit further north...
    Regards,

Duncan

That sounds like an incredible trip, Frank. Glad you were able to go and spend some time there.

What did the kids think of it?

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Awesome vacation, Frank. Seems you hit many of the Scots high points.

I haven't been back for years (actually, decades ) - and your trip report might prompt me to re-work my travel plans soon. I had been planning to take my wife on a tour through France for a "milestone birthday" she just reached. Maybe I need to change those plans, and take her a bit further north...
    Duncan - I've found that you pretty much can't lose when travelling to Europe. Each country (and areas within those places) are so diverse and unique that its impossible to see and experience it all. Having said that, Scotland ranks near the top or right at the top for me personally - it really is such a magical place on so many levels. I think the Rough Guide ranked it as the most beautiful country on Earth, and while that is very subjective, I think they may be onto something. In terms of the folks we met, I think the Scots were the warmest and most genuine hosts I have ever come across in Europe, and I have been to a bunch of places. I am going through travel "withdrawals" right now to be honest, which isn't fun. Another thing I should mention is that while I took hundreds of photos, there were places where we were to busy travelling to get out of the car to get another photo - you can stop every 30 seconds there - its so stunning. Also, the way in which the light/clouds/mist/sun are constantly changing and morphing, you'll never see the same place in the same way if that makes sense.

Hi chalkpie...so glad you enjoyed your visit to our wee country. Sounds like you managed to pack in a good selection of what Scotland has to offer and got very lucky with the weather!

If you ever plan to return then there's still plenty for you to check out, including the northern isles (Orkney and Shetland), the North West Highlands, the Outer Hebrides and of course - very pertinent for this thread - Islay!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Hi chalkpie...so glad you enjoyed your visit to our wee country. Sounds like you managed to pack in a good selection of what Scotland has to offer and got very lucky with the weather!

If you ever plan to return then there's still plenty for you to check out, including the northern isles (Orkney and Shetland), the North West Highlands, the Outer Hebrides and of course - very pertinent for this thread - Islay!
    Thanks man. Well I'm ready to go back - but our credit card balance says otherwise! Yes, still so much to see there - I definitely would want to check out The Borders (Lowlands), Speyside, NW Wester Ross, Trossachs, and yes more of the islands. I also really loved Perthshire and that general area, including the Cairngorms to the north.

BTW, the Edradour cask strength whisky I bought is pretty incredible. I have never seen it in the states - have any of you Scots had a dram of that magic juice? I am so glad I picked up a bottle.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/...gaAqJrEALw_wcB