Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What about Glengoyne? My cousin bought a bottle of the 21yr and he didn't like it, so he gave it to me for a much lower price. I think it's great!
    your cousin is probably nuts.
    Glengoyne is among my top 5 distillers, and if I have not tasted the 21y, the 12y and 15y are both excellent...

AFAIAC, GG is a return to SM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Glengoyne is among my top 5 distillers, and if I have not tasted the 21y, the 12y and 15y are both excellent...

Glengoyne is not commonly found in my area. You can sometimes find the 10 which I'd like to avoid. I know there's no peat involved, but what would you compare it to?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Glengoyne is not commonly found in my area. You can sometimes find the 10 which I'd like to avoid. I know there's no peat involved, but what would you compare it to?

They're full bodied (they're is real matter in there), not too far from the Auchentoshan Three wood... they go in heavy on the sherry (mainly) or port cask, so it's got a slightly sweet side
    You guys know my type of malts (Dalmore, Morangie, Aberlour, Auchen and Goyne), so it's right up that alley
    Soooon yeah, no peat, no smoke, but almost as dark as dark amber rum in colour.
    Yeah, if you're going to go for a GG, best avoid the entry-level 10Y

https://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/sc...year-old-20cl/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

He is nuts.

He likes Glenmorangie though, so we can at least agree on that.

I'll have to try the 12 and 15 year Glengoyne, if I can find them. Thanks for the rec.

Enjoying a dram of the Lagavulin 16 right now. This is slowly becoming my favorite whisky.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Enjoying a dram of the Lagavulin 16 right now. This is slowly becoming my favorite whisky.
    Lagavulin will always be in my top three fav whiskies along with a rotating cast of two other ones. Its magic in a bottle, like a genie, minus the bra.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Same here
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Same here

Wut? You're also like a genie minus the bra?

Sorry - it's a slow night...
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Wut? You're also like a genie minus the bra?
    Hell yes, where's that other thread Shadow kept posting in?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Lagavulin will always be in my top three fav whiskies along with a rotating cast of two other ones. Its magic in a bottle, like a genie, minus the bra.
    Yeah, Lagavulin and Laphroaig 10, then add in either Caol Ila, Bunnahabhain or Ardbeg for me. It'd be Bunnahabhain all the time, if I could find it more regularly.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I had the good fortune to try a little more of the juice this year, enough that I feel compelled to make a 2018 list lol. This is a list of items that are either new in 2018 or "new to me" (as indicated).

Winner
    Laphroaig Cairdeas 2018 - Fino Cask

Top Drams
    Lagavulin 8 (new to me)
    Glenlivet Nadurra - White Oak (new to me)
    Lagavulin 9 (GoT release)
    Bunnahabhain Toiteach (new to me)

Best of the Rest
    Dalwhinnie Winter's Frost (GoT release)
    Ardbeg An Oa (new to me)
    Highland Park Dark Origins (new to me)
    Clynelish Reserve (GoT release)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, Lagavulin and Laphroaig 10, then add in either Caol Ila, Bunnahabhain or Ardbeg for me. It'd be Bunnahabhain all the time, if I could find it more regularly.
    Aye, an Islay man! I'm right with ya

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I had the good fortune to try a little more of the juice this year, enough that I feel compelled to make a 2018 list lol. This is a list of items that are either new in 2018 or "new to me" (as indicated).

Winner
    Laphroaig Cairdeas 2018 - Fino Cask

Top Drams
    Lagavulin 8 (new to me)
    Glenlivet Nadurra - White Oak (new to me)
    Lagavulin 9 (GoT release)
    Bunnahabhain Toiteach (new to me)

Best of the Rest
    Dalwhinnie Winter's Frost (GoT release)
    Ardbeg An Oa (new to me)
    Highland Park Dark Origins (new to me)
    Clynelish Reserve (GoT release)
    Nice man, looks like great stuff.

My fav bottle this year was the Ardbeg Dark Cove, I think from 2016? It was a special limited release, really amazing! Ultra complex but just gorgeous.

I'm trying to give the Islay scotches another chance. Those are the ones I've really struggled with in the past, every time I tried them -- they just tasted like medicine to me and my uneducated palate.

However, this most recent time when I tried my bottle of Lagavulin 16 again, after the first couple sips the other flavors opened up and I actually kinda enjoyed it.

Would Laphroig be another good choice to try for getting into these?

Boy did Laphroig taste like "medicine" to me-like the kind you apply to the body and not the mouth!

but then

I went to Scotland

So now I've made my way through a few bottles over the last year including:

Laphroig 10 (the regular one)
    Bunnahabhain 12? (regular one)
    Glenmorangie sampler
    Glendiddich Sherry cask from the duty free shop

Currently I'm on a Kilchoman.

So back to the medicine. This was the peat of course and I really dig it now. It's all over the Kilchoman and of course the Laphroig.

I don't think I'm ready to jump into this thread with any kind of interesting responses but I'll continue to lurk.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Boy did Laphroig taste like "medicine" to me-like the kind you apply to the body and not the mouth!

So back to the medicine. This was the peat of course and I really dig it now. It's all over the Kilchoman and of course the Laphroig.
    Not sure I would equate peat with medicinal taste, and Laphroiag is a peat/smoke heavyweight champion

AFA my taste buds, medicinal taste, it's more the phenolic parts that do it... Hence Ardbeg is the clear winner in that category (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    My fav bottle this year was the Ardbeg Dark Cove, I think from 2016? It was a special limited release, really amazing! Ultra complex but just gorgeous.
    Nice. That release is long gone, so savor your bottle! For future reference, apparently these annual Ardbegs come with a "committee release" that looks almost identical, but typically is either bottled at a higher proof or otherwise the "cream of the crop". Something to look out for.

I'm trying to give the Islay scotches another chance. Those are the ones I've really struggled with in the past, every time I tried them -- they just tasted like medicine to me and my uneducated palate.

However, this most recent time when I tried my bottle of Lagavulin 16 again, after the first couple sips the other flavors opened up and I actually kinda enjoyed it.

Would Laphroig be another good choice to try for getting into these?
    Hahaha. Welcome to the dark side.

Well, I'd determine what specifically appealed to you from the Lagavulin. It's usually the quality of the smoke, which tastes like a "slow roasted campfire". The actual peat or phenolic tastes are more of an afterthought. On the 8 year, these come out more.

Laphroaig and Ardbeg are essentially the "sweet peat" options and have more medicinal notes. However, I think if you were to go after either of these two brands, I'd recommend Laphroaig Triple Wood first. It's by far the most "muted" of the core range from the peat standpoint and has delicious, creamy vanilla oak notes from being matured in bourbon and oak casks.

However, if you find that you enjoyed the "smoke" and not the other qualities of the Lagavulin, then you'd want to lean towards brands like Talisker, Bowmore, Bunnahabhain, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post

I don't think I'm ready to jump into this thread with any kind of interesting responses but I'll continue to lurk.
    Feel free to join in. We were all "noobs" once. You're fortunate to have been to Scotland. I have not yet, but it's certainly on my list.

Kilchoman is quite tasty. In Virginia, it's hard to find anything other than Machir Bay. At some point, I'm going to grab a different one when I hit a DC store.

They are a distillery to watch because they have only been around for like 12 years, so you'll start seeing more age statement stuff coming out from them over the next few years.

I've always thought that Talisker leads the external medicinal way - it is *so* reminiscent of TCP!

I honestly think that it is hard to comprehend just how beautiful the regions of Scotland are in which whisky is distilled - until you've visited them, & experienced them first hand. And, of course, the whiskies are so inextricably rooted in the land, in their lands - the distinctive local weather & climate patterns as much as the local geology.

(btw - Frankie, did you ever receive the long pm I sent you with recommendations for pubs in Edinburgh, amongst other things?)

I don't think many Americans know what TCP is (..?)

That kind of antiseptic - along with Dettol and Savlon etc. - are simply not used here.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I don't think many Americans know what TCP is (..?)

That kind of antiseptic - along with Dettol and Savlon etc. - are simply not used here.
    It's true. At least, it's true of me.

What is it? Like some kind of topical antiseptic?

I saw bottle-shaped package under the tree this morning. I wonder what that could be? Will report back after Christmas.
    Lou

Mr. Bruno's wardrobe furnished by Botany 500.

What is it? Like some kind of topical antiseptic?
    Yes.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_(antiseptic) An excerpt:
    The liquid form of TCP is one of the most well-known brands of antiseptic in the UK, and its distinctive overbearing medicinal odour can be identified by many as a generic antiseptic smell.
    Hence the insulting reference to a fine scotch!
    Regards,

Duncan

Haha! - not aiming for the insult, Duncan - but trying to capture the Talisker's very distinctive nose. I'd add iodine & brine to flavours/scents that you can pick up on the nose.

I recall many, many, years ago, back in the now very clouded mists of time, visiting a pub on Skye where they add various ages of Talisker "on tap" - literally! - there were wee taps on the bar, which the barman pulled back to dispense the whisky. Of course, working one's way along became inevitable, to the detriment both of one's focus (hence the the clouded memories) & one's wallet...