Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Might want to try the Macallan 12 or Cardhu 10 Jed.

It will be difficult to avoid "oak-like" since that's part of the aging process, but I would echo the suggestions for Glenlivet & Macallan 12, and add Balvenie DoubleWood, Glenfiddich 12, Glenfarclas 12, and Aberlour 12 as possibilities.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks. Macallan 12 is definitely a possibility - sort of forgot about that. AKA Neil Peart Juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It will be difficult to avoid "oak-like" since that's part of the aging process, but I would echo the suggestions for Glenlivet & Macallan 12, and add Balvenie DoubleWood, Glenfiddich 12, Glenfarclas 12, and Aberlour 12 as possibilities.
    These are all great suggestions.

Macallan 12 is my personal favorite. Their double cask is quite good too, and comparably priced I believe.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Balvenie DoubleWood is one of my favorites we polished of a bottle of that on my canal trip this summer. It was one of 4 whiskey bottles that got finished over 2 nights and a lot of poker.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thanks. Macallan 12 is definitely a possibility - sort of forgot about that. AKA Neil Peart Juice.
    Ha. I could be wrong but I don't think he gets the paper cup out unless it is at least an 18.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion for a single-malt that's NOT peaty, and easily found at a reasonable price? Something kind of like Glenmorangie except I'm not a huge Glenmorangie fan. I actually haven't tried it in a while so I might just, but open to other suggestions. I'm a bit peated-out for now, just for a while. Glenmorangie, as I recall, has a bit of a sourness to it, or maybe it's an oakiness, that I'd like to avoid. Something a bit more floral maybe.
    Macallan 12 is always a sure bet, cannot go wrong there. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is also fantastic, as is Highland Park 12. So are Balvenie Doublewood and Carribeean Cask. You will love all of those.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Definetely sounds I need to try Lagavulin whenever I get the chance

When on the ferry to Germany I often buy different versions of Bowmore. They are fine, but not quite in the same league as Laphroaig.
    Lagavulin may be my absolute favorite bottle, period. If its not number one, its number 2. But I think I still place it first. Its simply incredible - living life without always having a bottle of Lagavulin in your medicine cabinet is a sad way to be (as Ian Anderson says).

yup to all of those
    Most floral malt I can think of it Dahlwinnie (I saw they got a expression out, called Winter Gold or sumthin' like that), I'd even call it grassy

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Macallan 12 is always a sure bet, cannot go wrong there. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is also fantastic, as is Highland Park 12. So are Balvenie Doublewood and Carribeean Cask. You will love all of those.
    Love the QR and the Lasanta, but not sure that Morangie is that cheap, though. their 10y is, but their 12y are definitely more pricey (at least in Continental Europe)

However, if Jed is tired from peaty malts, I'm not sure about recommending him Highland Park malts, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Anybody ever try Laphroaig Triple Wood? Just starting to appear in stores up here and I am curious...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Anybody ever try Laphroaig Triple Wood? Just starting to appear in stores up here and I am curious...
    Yes, love it! I have a bottle here I bought about 2 months back. A beautiful dram. Very different from the quarter cask.

It's my least favorite of any Laphroaig I have tried. It's been a few years, so I can't tell you what specifically didn't do it for me. But even that doesn't mean it sucked.

90 bucks a bottle up here, so I'd rather ask first. I tend to like Laphroaig, so I'll probably take a chance on it.

It's my least favorite of any Laphroaig I have tried. It's been a few years, so I can't tell you what specifically didn't do it for me. But even that doesn't mean it sucked.
    It doesn't even come close to sucking. Did you try just a tasting or own a bottle? My buddy and I did a tasting with Laphroig Triple Wood, Laphroig Quarter Cask, Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Dark Cove, and Ardbeg A'bunadh.....we came to the conclusion that:

A) They are all amazing in their own unique ways

B) They are all different, and sometimes the differences are not subtle

C) Anybody that thinks that these whiskies are just peat bombs and nothing else are completely wrong.

D) These are very complex drams that take you on a journey, not just a glass of whisky

In the name of science!!

90 bucks a bottle up here, so I'd rather ask first. I tend to like Laphroaig, so I'll probably take a chance on it.
    I got it for $67 USD (before taxes) near here in Poughkeepsie, NY. But you get to live in Canada, so I'd rather take that option

I got it for $67 USD (before taxes) near here in Poughkeepsie, NY. But you get to live in Canada, so I'd rather take that option
    Believe it or not, 67 USD is about 90 CAD. And yes, I get to live up here...

Banned
    I highly recommend the Lagavulin 1976 which is currently available for less than $5000.00 a bottle. Cheaper by the gross if you want to stock up while you can...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I highly recommend the Lagavulin 1976 which is currently available for less than $5000.00 a bottle. Cheaper by the gross if you want to stock up while you can...

It doesn't even come close to sucking. Did you try just a tasting or own a bottle? My buddy and I did a tasting with Laphroig Triple Wood, Laphroig Quarter Cask, Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Dark Cove, and Ardbeg A'bunadh.....
    Ardbeg A'bunadh? Sherry peat bomb?

Anyway, I had a full bottle of Triple Wood. And like I said, I admitted that even though it wasn't my favorite it wasn't bad. So take that for what it's worth.

My ranking of Laphroaigs I have had at least one bottle:

1) Quarter Cask - A+
    2) 10 Cask Strength - A
    3) Cairdeas 2018 (Fino) - A
    4) 10 - A-
    5) Cairdeas 2016 (Madiera) - A-
    6) Select - B
    7) Triple Wood - B

Have not tried: Lore

I always recommend QC to everyone. I really like the new Cairdeas bottling as well. I could try Triple Wood again tomorrow and could climb up that list.

My current options:-

whiskey.jpg
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

whiskey.jpg
    Not too shabby!

and Ardbeg A'bunadh.....we came to the conclusion that:

C) Anybody that thinks that these whiskies are just peat bombs and nothing else are completely wrong.
    I thought that was an Aberlour cask strength (well I'm sure of it, I'm still nursing the bottom end of my bottle)

My guess is that the Laphroiag triple wood is fairly different indeed and not nearly as peaty/smoky as their other expression... I mean, there would be no point to nurse the spirit in different barrels and take out the sweetness of sherry and port wine cask to smash and smother it with an enormous dose of smoke.

as for making the difference between the basic Ardbeg (10y) and the basic Laphroiag (10y as well), I wouldn't even have to have it in the mouth: just putting my nose over it should suffice >> they're fairly different alright... Not that I would prefer one over the other... Don't know of their other expressions, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

whiskey.jpg
    Nice. How is the Four Oak? Is that something that is travel only?

Nice. How is the Four Oak? Is that something that is travel only?
    Yeah its travel only, it's a bit of a muted regular Laphroaig, no age on it so I assume its one of the age hiding blends for younger whiskys, I much prefer the 10.
    Ian