Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is bourbon sweeter than rye generally speaking?
    Generally it is, although some bourbons may have a higher rye content and can be spicier. But in my experience, some rye whiskies can be pretty sweet while still having that characteristic peppery quality.

Michters Rye is a really good one, very flavorful and punchy without being harsh.

Incidentally, what's your favorite bourbon, Frank?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Generally it is, although some bourbons may have a higher rye content and can be spicier. But in my experience, some rye whiskies can be pretty sweet while still having that characteristic peppery quality.

Michters Rye is a really good one, very flavorful and punchy without being harsh.

Incidentally, what's your favorite bourbon, Frank?
    Probably Bookers. You?

So glad I got this Dark Cove by Ardbeg.....soooooo gorgeous, sweet, some peat, oak, the sea, long complex finish. Beyond lovely. Just so pricey....

Or Blantons also!

My bottle of Auchentoshan Three Woods made a major impact this afternoon with three Scots.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Probably Bookers. You?

So glad I got this Dark Cove by Ardbeg.....soooooo gorgeous, sweet, some peat, oak, the sea, long complex finish. Beyond lovely. Just so pricey....
    Or Blantons also!
    I don't think I've had Bookers or Blantons actually! I need to though.

For bourbon, my favorite is probably Larceny -- although the 1792 Bottled In Bond from Barton's is catching up to it.

So on the subject of scotch, my dad gave me a bottle of Lagavulin 16 a few years ago. I'm not sure where he got it from, and about 1/3 of it was gone when he gave it to me. Anyway, last night I decided to give it a try. I've never been much for the Islay scotches, but after a few sips I think my tastebuds got acclimated to the smokiness and I could taste other things in it. So maybe I'm coming around to it after all these years!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    My bottle of Auchentoshan Three Woods made a major impact this afternoon with three Scots.
    That's a good one! I have a bottle of it myself.

You hit them over the head with it!!?

Please tell me they were Scottish flight attendants
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just opened a bottle of 10 Yr Ardbeg. It's the only type of Ardbeg I've bought (I mean, I've bought the same before), but the store also had somethong called Ardbeg An Oa. Anyone tried this one?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just opened a bottle of 10 Yr Ardbeg. It's the only type of Ardbeg I've bought (I mean, I've bought the same before), but the store also had somethong called Ardbeg An Oa. Anyone tried this one?
    no sir, not yet. Please let us know your impressions!

no sir, not yet. Please let us know your impressions!
    I didn't buy the An Oa, just the regular 10 yr. Was hoping to find out more about the An Oa! Read the description on the Ardbeg site, but it doesn't help much. Sorry! I did find this via the Google: "The Oa (Scottish Gaelic: An Obha) is a rocky region in the southwest of Islay, in Argyll, Scotland. "

The Ardbeg 10 is a top 5 dram for me. A masterpiece of peat!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't buy the An Oa, just the regular 10 yr. Was hoping to find out more about the An Oa! Read the description on the Ardbeg site, but it doesn't help much. Sorry! I did find this via the Google: "The Oa (Scottish Gaelic: An Obha) is a rocky region in the southwest of Islay, in Argyll, Scotland. "
    Oops! I misread your post. I must have been drinking when I wrote that.

What is the Ardbeg 10yr like? I don't think I've ever had that one either.

I did a whisky hunt over the weekend, looking for a harder to find bottles in VA, hoping to find a few closeouts as well. Among the haul was this bottle Bunnahabhain Toiteach, an NAS bottling...

I compared to a few other peated whiskies, and let me tell you, I can only describe this as a "smoke bomb". Toiteach is Gaelic for "smoke", so I guess it's to be expected. But this is overwhelming campfire smoke. I'm not sure I can compare it to anything else I have had, as usually it's the peat flavor that comes through. Good stuff!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

It's not too dissimilar to the Laphroaig 10.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's not too dissimilar to the Laphroaig 10.
    I'd agree.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Which is a good thing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Which is a good thing.
    Oh yeah. I give the Laphraoig the edge, but they're both at the top of my regulars.

Laphraoig is my favorite, but I have been told that Lagavulin is even better (and more expensive).

Anybody here who knows both?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Laphraoig is my favorite, but I have been told that Lagavulin is even better (and more expensive).

Anybody here who knows both?
    Laphroaig and Ardbeg have a more medicinal/chemical quality to their smell and flavor. Laphroaig, imo, is the master of the peat process that all the other Islays can't quite reach. That's a matter of preference, but I feel they get the richest, most flavorful result.

For others, Lagavulin is the top dog. Lagavulin 16 is a bit more balanced and refined. You get a strong earthy peat, balanced by smoke, oak, and other more typical flavors. It's more complex that Laphroaig, also a bit less "blunt". It is a winning expression in its own right, but Laphroaig's blunt approach wins out for me.

Incidentally, I recently bought a bottle of the Lagavulin 8 year and gave that a try. You would expect it to be a bit "impudent" in comparison, but it's also quite rich, complex, and at a lower price point. I would almost go as far as saying that I prefer it to the 16, all things considered.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

For me Laphroaig & Lagavulin are comparable for me & my preference really depends how peaty a mood I'm in. More peaty I'll go Laphroaig. peaty but more subtle I'll go Lagvulin. But really it's splitting hairs at this level for me.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Definetely sounds I need to try Lagavulin whenever I get the chance

When on the ferry to Germany I often buy different versions of Bowmore. They are fine, but not quite in the same league as Laphroaig.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Definetely sounds I need to try Lagavulin whenever I get the chance

When on the ferry to Germany I often buy different versions of Bowmore. They are fine, but not quite in the same league as Laphroaig.
    in terms of peatyness/smokiness, for the ones I know, I'd rank them increasingly as
    Jura < Talisker < Bowmore < Lagavulin < Laphroiag & Ardbeg (though indeed Ardbeg vas an extra phenolic/medicinal taste as well)...
    On that scale, I really have a hard time going past Talisker & Bowmore. My comfort zone in that peat/smoke direction +/- stops at Highland Park and Jura
    Beyond that, there is no pleasure in it for my palate.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There is also "Smokehead" Ian Macleod distillers.
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/3698/smokehead

I had a bottle that I liked some years ago, it had a scent of perhaps Bison grass, which might not be for all.
    I friend gave me one more, but I haven't opened it yet.

Anyone have a suggestion for a single-malt that's NOT peaty, and easily found at a reasonable price? Something kind of like Glenmorangie except I'm not a huge Glenmorangie fan. I actually haven't tried it in a while so I might just, but open to other suggestions. I'm a bit peated-out for now, just for a while. Glenmorangie, as I recall, has a bit of a sourness to it, or maybe it's an oakiness, that I'd like to avoid. Something a bit more floral maybe.

Jed, I'd probably go with a Glenlivet, Dalwhinnie or Aultmore.
    Ian