Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Just to echo the conversation above - the Glenmorangie 18 is a glorious whisky - the complexity of flavours that the extra ageing releases is stunning, & the balance is little short of miraculous.
    Totally agreed. That is one of the best whiskies of its kind that I've ever tasted.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just picked up a Balvenie Double Wood 12 for a weekend on the canals with the boys.
    One of my favorites!
    But speaking of Glenmorangie, I really like their bottlings (but haven't had the 18...but sure would like to!)

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Just to echo the conversation above - the Glenmorangie 18 is a glorious whisky - the complexity of flavours that the extra ageing releases is stunning, & the balance is little short of miraculous.
    Yes - love that one! Three of us destroyed a bottle of that in record time last year.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Have you guys tried the Glenmorangie Signet? My cousin collects scotch, and he got a bottle of the Signet a year or so ago. Just a few months back, he opened it and we both tried it -- that is some smooth stuff. I don't know if it's significantly better than the 18yr to warrant the cost difference, but if you have the extra cash you probably won't be disappointed.

I will have to try the Glen 18. Meanwhile I can't get enough of my goto Laphroig Quarter Cask. Just hits the right spot both in my liver and in my wallet
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Andyyyy View Post
    Having just visited Glasgow and a distillery there, I brought back a wee bottle of Jura Prophesy, heavily peated and a tasting pack of three: Balvenie- Double Wood 12 years, Caribbean Cask 14 years and Double Wood 17 years.

It's funny how sitting in the distillery and deciding on the Jura after a few drams that I liked it more than the rest. When we came home and I sat down with a couple neighbors who are whiskey buffs and were curious about Scotch, we decided the Double Wood 17 was the tastiest, and the Jura to have "old man" smell. Intereting to me is, why did I not enjoy it as much as I did at the distillery? Maybe when tasting a few different whiskeys, one's taste for the nectar changes?
    I get that with wine, as well

It always seems to taste better at the winery than once you've brought it home.
    Of course the thing with wine is that it doesn't travel ( I don't think it's a factor for hard alcohol, though) and one should let it rest minimum a week (more like 30 days) per 100 km it travelled.

Point is you can't be sure that the stuff they make you taste is the same stuff inside the bottles they'll sell you.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I get that with wine, as well

It always seems to taste better at the winery than once you've brought it home.
    Of course the thing with wine is that it doesn't travel ( I don't think it's a factor for hard alcohol, though) and one should let it rest minimum a week (more like 30 days) per 100 km it travelled.

Point is you can't be sure that the stuff they make you taste is the same stuff inside the bottles they'll sell you.
    Apparently it can affect the taste of hard alcohol (such as whisky), because jostling the bottles can speed up the oxidation process. But I think that only really becomes a problem after the bottle has been opened and the liquor has been exposed to more air.

I've also found that some whiskies actually improve a few days after having been opened, compared to how they tasted at first. It's interesting...

2 new bottles tonight:

Highland Park 12 Viking Honour.......This is fucking AMAZING. I mean AMAZING. Just buy it. Possibly jumping into my top 5 fav of all time, yes its that good. A wee slight peat, vanilla, caramel, oak, wood, sweet, more sweet, complex, just yummy...great finish tasting the cask. The bottle is absolutely gorgeous too, Celtic design. Gorgeous.

Glenkinchie 12.....also pretty great. A great first dram perhaps, pretty basic, well rounded, very smooth, zero peat. Delicious really, but compared to the amazing HP Viking its not quite in that class. Great though.

^^ Thanks for the recommendations man! I've never had either of those, but will keep an eye out. If I do see them, now I'll know they're worth picking up.

HP is slowly gaining in my pantheon (it's not there yet, but getting close), despite a certain smoky/peatyness. I've only tried the 10 and the 15 so far, but both impressed me

Kinchie is one of those Lowland malts (Edinburg area) that I've tried some 12/15years ago, and I'd call it an entry level SM along with Oban 14 or Scapa 16 or the recent Macalan Amber. I wouldn't call it/them neutral (nor aggressive nor pungent), but it's straightforward for newcomers to see if they want to investigate the SM route further or not.
    But then again, most of Speyside could achieve that task with more character than those three.
    I haven't seen Kinchie proposed on sale for years (not that I would've returned to it), but does it still have that leather base and metal collar? I thought that was neat at first (I still have the cadavre somewhere), but ultimately, it might be too gimmicky
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

HP is slowly gaining in my pantheon (it's not there yet, but getting close), despite a certain smoky/peatyness. I've only tried the 10 and the 15 so far, but both impressed me
    Too bad you aren't into any peated whiskies. Two of my fav drams are Ardbeg and Lagavulin - I can't imagine life without those drams. I'd say don't give up just yet, because yuo may yet grown into them, ya never know. When I first had Laphroig years back, I thought it was horrible - I was a strict speyside snob. Glad I grew out that phase!

Highland Park and Jura are great lightly peated whiskies that can steer you into the "darkside".

Quote Originally Posted by Andyyyy View Post
    It's funny how sitting in the distillery and deciding on the Jura after a few drams that I liked it more than the rest. When we came home and I sat down with a couple neighbors who are whiskey buffs and were curious about Scotch, we decided the Double Wood 17 was the tastiest, and the Jura to have "old man" smell. Intereting to me is, why did I not enjoy it as much as I did at the distillery? Maybe when tasting a few different whiskeys, one's taste for the nectar changes?
    Interesting. The palette is a funny thing. Try tasting the same whisky several days in a row, and you might find that it's *you* that is changing, not the whisky. I have experienced that many times myself.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I've also found that some whiskies actually improve a few days after having been opened, compared to how they tasted at first. It's interesting...
    This is my experience as well.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    2 new bottles tonight:

Highland Park 12 Viking Honour.......This is fucking AMAZING. I mean AMAZING. Just buy it. Possibly jumping into my top 5 fav of all time, yes its that good. A wee slight peat, vanilla, caramel, oak, wood, sweet, more sweet, complex, just yummy...great finish tasting the cask. The bottle is absolutely gorgeous too, Celtic design. Gorgeous.
    I was really confused at how they re-branded everything. I thought I read once that Viking Honour was the new name for "HP 12", but it appears that's wrong. Glad you enjoyed it. I have tried two of the recent HP expressions:

Magnus - Appears to be their entry level, it's okay but pretty dull and uninspired - so why bother?

Dark Origins - This was very good, almost a dead ringer for Macallan 12. But then again, might as well get that.

The palette is a funny thing. Try tasting the same whisky several days in a row, and you might find that it's *you* that is changing, not the whisky. I have experienced that many times myself.
    I have noticed this with both whisky and micro brews.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have been enjoying this:

I managed to get some in a "closeout" sale, otherwise I likely would not have bought it. It was really quite good. I'm a sucker for cask strength offerings to begin with. The closest comparison I can come to is that it tastes a bit like Macallan Fine Oak 10 on steroids. Sweet, oak, full body, and the power of 110 proof.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Too bad you aren't into any peated whiskies. Two of my fav drams are Ardbeg and Lagavulin - I can't imagine life without those drams. I'd say don't give up just yet, because yuo may yet grown into them, ya never know. When I first had Laphroig years back, I thought it was horrible - I was a strict speyside snob. Glad I grew out that phase!

Highland Park and Jura are great lightly peated whiskies that can steer you into the "darkside".
    ****Shudders in horror .... ****

It's not the peat (I've slowly grown into not disliking it than tolerate it, as long as there is something more in the spirit), but the smoke that really turns me off, so the ArdLagaPhroig trilogy is simply out of my reach....

But yeah, Jura I can dig in small amounts, but Bowmore is a little too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

Dark Origins - This was very good, almost a dead ringer for Macallan 12. But then again, might as well get that.
    I tried this too at my buddy's, but I don't recall if it had any peat notes or not? If you're saying Mac 12, then I guess it doesn't.

****Shudders in horror .... ****

It's not the peat (I've slowly grown into not disliking it than tolerate it, as long as there is something more in the spirit), but the smoke that really turns me off, so the ArdLagaPhroig trilogy is simply out of my reach....

But yeah, Jura I can dig in small amounts, but Bowmore is a little too much for me.
    Yeah Jura Superstition is a nice light peater - I like that bottle a lot. I know Ardbeg 10 is a peat monster but does it really have a heavy smoke flavor? Regardless its become a top 5 bottle for me, and Lagavulin is in that list too, so the Islays do it for me! I seem to recall Talisker 10 being pretty smokey, yeah? I went through a peat "snob" phase when I told myself that I'm not into Speyside non-peaters anymore - glad that phase didn't last long - I Love it all - I just wish it wasn't so damn pricey! I've actually done both "Peat" and "non-peat" snob phases

BTW, my wife's cousin who is a whisky fanatic and has visited the islands and the whiskey trail a few times - his number one desert island dram is Talisker 18. I've never had it but now I want to try it. I"ll be at the distillery next July so hopefully I can try something special there, we'll see.....

OK you bastards, I just plunked down $100 on a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 and I'm gonna try it out tonight while watching Fear the Walking Dead. If I don't like it there will be hell to pay! I'm talkin' chaining you all to my basement poles and forcing you to listen to Rockwell's 'Somebody's Watching Me' on a loop from my old boombox for 4 straight days.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    OK you bastards, I just plunked down $100 on a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 and I'm gonna try it out tonight while watching Fear the Walking Dead. If I don't like it there will be hell to pay! I'm talkin' chaining you all to my basement poles and forcing you to listen to Rockwell's 'Somebody's Watching Me' on a loop from my old boombox for 4 straight days.
    OK I just realized that I bought the GlenLIVET 18 and not Glenmorangie 18 My apologies for the above threat What an idiot...

I hope it's good!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    OK I just realized that I bought the GlenLIVET 18 and not Glenmorangie 18 My apologies for the above threat What an idiot...

I hope it's good!
    You're not the first person to mix those up -- there are a lot of "Glens" to choose from.

But Glenlivet is also good, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've not had the 18, but the 15 is quite nice.

...there are a lot of "Glens" to choose from...

LOL
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

LOL

Once I learned what "glen" means, then it made so much more sense to me why all these scotchs had that word in their name.

You're not the first person to mix those up -- there are a lot of "Glens" to choose from.
    That's why I say Livet, Morangie, Ord, Rothes or Fiddich directly

my laziness to type the word glen before is overpowering me every time.

Once I learned what "glen" means, then it made so much more sense to me why all these scotchs had that word in their name.
    if memory serves, it means river/creek or valley

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Picked up a Lagavulin 16 in Heathrow for the trip home, just heading back home from RIO and a boys canal trip. The 8 of us got through 4 bottles of whisky in two nights playing poker. My cobtribution was a Balvenie Double Wood.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.