Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

^Ooooh nice! Give us the skinny, mate.........
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^Ooooh nice! Give us the skinny, mate.........
    just had a single dram of it, but it's a very well balanced. Usually Laphroaig is anything but subtle, and this one is bold, but the smokiness , peatiness, and salty medicinal flavours are really harmonious. Smooth as silk ! Best I've ever had from these guys... also the most $$$ I have ever spent on a bottle of scotch from any distillery. I'm gonna savour every drop!
    Last edited by Yves; 03-07-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    just had a single dram of it, but it's a very well balanced. Usually Laphroaig is anything but subtle, and this one is bold, but the smokiness , peatiness, and salty medicinal flavours are really harmonious. Smooth as silk ! Best I've ever had from these guys... also the most $$$ I have ever spent on a bottle of scotch from any distillery. I'm gonna savour every drop!
    Maybe what you need is to fill an IV fluid bag with it, connect a release timer, and put the tube in your mouth. Every 5 minutes a few drops of precious Lore hit the tongue.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I didn't want to pay the extra $10 for that option.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Next up is Belvanie 14 year Carribean Cask...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

I haven't seen Aberfeldy mentioned in this thread. A friend brought me a bottle recently.

Amazon describes it as:
    - A golden whisky with an incense-like, heathery honey nose
    - A syrupy palate that lingers like a liqueur
    - Clean and polished malt with a touch of honey and spice

Sounds about right, especially the 2nd point. From the small print on the box, I see it's a small but separate distillery that's owned by Dewars.

Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've had it before and enjoyed it.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I bought a bottle about two years ago, enjoyed half of it and gave it away to a work bdy

Glad I had to taste something from the southern highlands (we're a third of the way between Dundee and Inverness), but it didn't remind me of the Dalwhinnie that is +/- also from that area (if I read my notes on the bottle I bought some 10 years ago).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ...a third of the way between Dundee and Inverness...
    That's close to an area called "Glen Dye". Back in history, some truly GREAT people lived there - and took the name of the area as their last name.
    Regards,

Duncan

Where in Scotland are you from Dunc? When did you downgrade to the states? 😁

A dude gave me a bottle of Bourbon... Bulleit Frontier Whiskey

https://www.amazon.fr/Whisky-Bourbon...ulleit+bourbon

What a change... Kind of like it too.

Not that I'll down the bottle quickly, but if I want something different, I've got it now.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Frankie, Dundee, but my family moved us to Africa long ago, which is where I grew up.

Been in the USA since 1994 - and it is now "home".
    Regards,

Duncan

So, the Wife and I now live in a wonderful 55+ community here in the mountains of Georgia.....lots of clubs for the residents to join (bridge, tennis, kayaking, etc.....one club is SO POPULAR there are actually 3 different sub-groups: The Scotch Appreciation Club (LOTS of members)...what a bunch a lushes
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    A dude gave me a bottle of Bourbon... Bulleit Frontier Whiskey

https://www.amazon.fr/Whisky-Bourbon...ulleit+bourbon

What a change... Kind of like it too.

Not that I'll down the bottle quickly, but if I want something different, I've got it now.
    Right on. Bulleit isn't my favorite bourbon, but it's a good one IMO.

About three years ago my family and I took 3 or 4 days to tour the "Bourbon Trail" in Kentucky, and the Bulleit distillery was one of the places we visited on our last day there. Very cool "old timey" buildings and setup. They make a pretty decent rye whiskey as well.

Banned
    Update on the Glenmorangie 18 vs. Glenfiddich 18 fi anybody cares. Both bottles have now been drained and my verdict for me is no contest - Glenmorangie 18 wins hands-down. Smoother and more flavorful - sweet, burnt-apricot, woody, spicey and "warm" if that makes sense. Does it? I have insufficient experience at this point to trust my taste buds but I know I liked it. In the past I did not drink scotch for the taste really.

Maybe I asked this before - but has anyone tried and have an opinion on Whistepig Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Update on the Glenmorangie 18 vs. Glenfiddich 18 if anybody cares. Both bottles have now been drained and my verdict for me is no contest - Glenmorangie 18 wins hands-down. Smoother and more flavorful - sweet, burnt-apricot, woody, spicey and "warm" if that makes sense.
    Definitely not surprised by your verdict...
    Fiddich is entry-level single-malt stuff , IMHO (even the 18 yo)
    Morangie is for confirmed single malt buffs (especially the 18 yo)

Was volunteering at the Loch Norman Highland games here in Huntersville NC yesterday( transporting folks and their stuff from the parking area to their respective Clan tents etc) and was invited to one of the clans after my shift to have a drink. Had a Jura "Origin" – a ten-year-old whisky, a non-peated malt having a "heather honey" finish..I really enjoyed it..

Actor Nick Offerman, an ardent fan of whisky (particularly Lagluvin) talks manliness and whisky. Whisky content at the bottom of the article.

https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...liness-advice/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This is a fun video:

Regards,

Duncan

^Highland Park 12 for about $30 US??!! I remember spending somewhere around $45-50 for the 12 YO years back, and the 15 YO was something silly like $80 US, and not worth the dough from what I recall - it had a lousy finish for an expensive 15 YO whisky. I would try it again though, and will look for the Highland Park for sure. Cheers Dunc
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

I'm curious about that Monkey's Uncle or whatever - blended from 3 single malts.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^Highland Park 12 for about $30 US??!! I remember spending somewhere around $45-50 for the 12 YO years back, and the 15 YO was something silly like $80 US, and not worth the dough from what I recall - it had a lousy finish for an expensive 15 YO whisky. I would try it again though, and will look for the Highland Park for sure. Cheers Dunc
    I am slowly warming to HP: they're peaty, but ever so lightly, and not smoky i find.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I'm curious about that Monkey's Uncle or whatever - blended from 3 single malts.
    That's Monkey's Shoulder (apparently a RSI problem that comes from shovelling around the barley during the germinating phase), and I had a bottle (I spoke of it in the PE 2.0 thread) and it is quite pleasant §if I were to buy a blended, I'd probably return to it). I may still have the dead bottle around somewhere, but it didn't come with a box with any explanations as to its origins written on it.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Was volunteering at the Loch Norman Highland games here in Huntersville NC yesterday( transporting folks and their stuff from the parking area to their respective Clan tents etc) and was invited to one of the clans after my shift to have a drink. Had a Jura "Origin" – a ten-year-old whisky, a non-peated malt having a "heather honey" finish..I really enjoyed it..
    Having just visited Glasgow and a distillery there, I brought back a wee bottle of Jura Prophesy, heavily peated and a tasting pack of three: Balvenie- Double Wood 12 years, Caribbean Cask 14 years and Double Wood 17 years.

It's funny how sitting in the distillery and deciding on the Jura after a few drams that I liked it more than the rest. When we came home and I sat down with a couple neighbors who are whiskey buffs and were curious about Scotch, we decided the Double Wood 17 was the tastiest, and the Jura to have "old man" smell. Intereting to me is, why did I not enjoy it as much as I did at the distillery? Maybe when tasting a few different whiskeys, one's taste for the nectar changes?

Just to echo the conversation above - the Glenmorangie 18 is a glorious whisky - the complexity of flavours that the extra ageing releases is stunning, & the balance is little short of miraculous.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just picked up a Balvenie Double Wood 12 for a weekend on the canals with the boys.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.