Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTCH Whisky Discussion

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Balvenie Doublewood is excellent, just the thought of it gives me double wood.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    My go-to recommendation for a great bottle to pop 'yer cherry after exploring some low-end shite is Balvenie Doublewood. I recommended this to my good buddy years ago (he was a complete virgin at the time), and now he has a collection of over 20-30 bottles from all areas of Scotland, peated and non-peated. You cannot go wrong with that dram and it can start a serious love affair. imo.
    One of my favorites - though I haven't had any for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Regards,

Duncan

I've only had once the occasion to taste the Balvenie doublewood and I can only say that it left me some really pleasant memories

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Thanks for your perspective on that. I might splurge on the odd glass, but definitely not a connoisseur worthy of a multi-hundred dollar bottle :-). The scotch stood up very well to the spices, but probably reveals my abuse of the art. I can very well imagine there is a law of diminishing returns on the high-end. I'll follow-up on your recommendations as I haven't sampled any of them.
    may I ask how much that Glenmorangie 25 dram set you back for at that Tandoori place?

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Mine is McClelland's. You can get both Speyside and Islay for about $22/750-ml bottle.

When it comes to American whiskey, hands-down cheapo favorite is Early Times. Pure rotgut, but I love it. I used to get Christmas cards from the distillery.
    Surely you mean 700 ml
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Sometimes gives me triple wood. That's bonus wood. Carry the one.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Sometimes gives me triple wood. That's bonus wood. Carry the one.
    The Auchetoshan Triple Wood is amazing, and it's not even a wood finish either: the spirits spend their whole life in the same barrels (including Sherry and Porto casks), not just the last two years or so ... It starts to have the dark amber rhum robe and has so much matter in it, that you can almost start feeding from it.

too bad the Auchentoshan glass bottles are so bland, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Since I will quickly be moving from the industrial rinse I've been drinking to real scotch, my thought and question now is, I would think that water and ice or both, would dilute the flavor and body of the scotch. Thoughts on this?
    The older I get, the better I was.

My go-to recommendation for a great bottle to pop 'yer cherry after exploring some low-end shite is Balvenie Doublewood. I recommended this to my good buddy years ago (he was a complete virgin at the time), and now he has a collection of over 20-30 bottles from all areas of Scotland, peated and non-peated. You cannot go wrong with that dram and it can start a serious love affair. imo.
    I second Balvenie Doublewood as a great, easily available whisky. Also, I had a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask a few years ago that I remember with fondness...I haven't seen it around recently so don't know if it's still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Since I will quickly be moving from the industrial rinse I've been drinking to real scotch, my thought and question now is, I would think that water and ice or both, would dilute the flavor and body of the scotch. Thoughts on this?
    I think this was discussed further up the thread. My opinion is that a splash of water (less than 10% typically) improves things, especially if the whisky in question is over the normal 40%. But it really is down to personal taste, and may vary from whisky to whisky. Try it both ways and then stick with what you prefer rather than what others tell you is the correct way to enjoy your tipple...

In the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    I think this was discussed further up the thread. My opinion is that a splash of water (less than 10% typically) improves things, especially if the whisky in question is over the normal 40%. But it really is down to personal taste, and may vary from whisky to whisky. Try it both ways and then stick with what you prefer rather than what others tell you is the correct way to enjoy your tipple...
    Thanks, will try it both ways, just wanted to start off right.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

may I ask how much that Glenmorangie 25 dram set you back for at that Tandoori place?
    I don't recall exactly, but I believe it was around $35 for a single glass that had maybe two fingers...

I know I'll get hung by others here but I do like one ice cube in my whiskey.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    I put a single cube in the Glenmorangie 25 so I'll be next in line for the gallows

Grouse is probably my favorite cheap whiskey.
    Bout nine years ago we were in Scotland and did the tour of the Grouse distillery. Interesting learning the difference between whiskey and whisky...If it's Scotch you leave out the "e."

Anyway, if you get a chance to tour a distillery (we also got to see the Jameson's one in Ireland) I recommend it highly.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I can never remember which one has the e.
    Ian

Good advice.

I personally don't like to add anything to my whisky. It's sort of like adding ketchup to filet mignon. But choosing between ice or water, I'd choose water. Ice is a little too much volume, dilutes, and also changes the temperature of the whisky. With water, I just do the "splash" sometimes with the goal of "opening up flavors by the reaction", not to dilute. It has mixed results.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Just before X-mas; I did experimentations (and documented here) with 7 malts with drops of water dispensed with a pipette (7 max), and it proved totally inconclusive (to my own weird palate, anyways), but in no way was I close to the 10%.

I guess I should try with a bigger percentage.

I don't recall exactly, but I believe it was around $35 for a single glass that had maybe two fingers...
    I put a single cube in the Glenmorangie 25 so I'll be next in line for the gallows
    Did the cube at least make grow to a third finger? Or was that 2F with the cube?

Hang that heathen

Seriously, I understand the need to cool the spirit, but adding an ice cube is not a solution (unless drinking Ballantine, but then again do it with a frozen pepsi... can't hurt that kind of "tord-boyau" (gut wrencher)

If you feel like cooling the dram, you may want to keep the glass in the freezer, or add stones (directly from the freezer), but both have a limited effect in time.
    The best way, IMHO is to store the bottle in the basement and on the floor. That way, if you want a second dram afterwards, the spirit is still +/- at the same cellar temp.

We've decided to cut you off at the knees, for that!

We've already made an appointment for you, in April.

(Too soon? )
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Good advice.

I personally don't like to add anything to my whisky. It's sort of like adding ketchup to filet mignon. But choosing between ice or water, I'd choose water. Ice is a little too much volume, dilutes, and also changes the temperature of the whisky. With water, I just do the "splash" sometimes with the goal of "opening up flavors by the reaction", not to dilute. It has mixed results.
    That's what I was worried about Sean. What's the point in trashing good whisky?

I'm trying to avoid the shame and stigma.

But is the ice cube prog?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    We've decided to cut you off at the knees, for that!

We've already made an appointment for you, in April.

(Too soon? )
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    But is the ice cube prog?
    And what makes one a true Scotch whisky fan?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The ice cube must not be that of the typical rectangular shape. It must be of an unusual shape such as a rhombus.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Make room for a third on those gallows. I always put one ice cube in whatever adult beverage (other than beer or wine, that is) I'm having.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.