Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Who Is Next?

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Who Is Next?

Now that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is gaining some legitimacy with the induction of Rush, Yes and even ELO, who is next? Todd Rundgren seems to be the obvious choice based on the number of hit singles/records but from the "pure" prog perspective it would have to be King Crimson, ELP and Jethro Tull. Is there anyone else that has enough popular awareness/success to qualify? Uriah Heep? The Move?

^
    Styyyyyx~!

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    ^
    Styyyyyx~!
    Definitely. Now that you mention it Kansas and Supertramp come to mind. I'm surprised none of them made it before Rush and Yes actually.

Well, now that I've finally inducted Deep Purple (who should have been in years ago), they should now induct Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. I still can't believe Metallica got in before any of those bands.

King. Fucking. CRIMSON!

Although Tull should probably get in first based on sales success (and their Grammy! )
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Iron Maiden, King Crimson, Styx.

But definitely Maiden. They're huge to this day.

The Moody Blues

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Eminem
    Mariah Carey
    Green Day

I bet all three will get in before anyone listed so far.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Ha!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    Now that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is gaining some legitimacy with the induction of Rush, Yes and even ELO, who is next? Todd Rundgren seems to be the obvious choice based on the number of hit singles/records but from the "pure" prog perspective it would have to be King Crimson, ELP and Jethro Tull. Is there anyone else that has enough popular awareness/success to qualify? Uriah Heep? The Move?
    I guess I was unaware how many great bands aren't already in! I wouldn't say the RRHOF has much legitimacy if Journey is in before Rundgren, Tull, KC, Kansas, or even Iron Maiden. But I know it's the Music HOF and not based on a combination of quality and success. I understand there are people who like Journey, but someone like Rundgren is just...head and shoulders above them as far as talent.

I'm sure Cher is or was or will be in before Jethro Tull.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 04-08-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I still can't believe Metallica got in before any of those bands.
    Every so often they've got to pop in a "young" artist to keep that age demographic interested. I'd bet it's purely economics.

hardly an ideal list, but it's interesting to see who Watchmojo picked, just for it seems Rock and Metal picks.

I just realized, The Doobie Brothers aren't in which is hard to believe as well.

I guess because the Grammies are pretty much all about Urban music and Country music now, the RRHOF inductions have filled that vacuum that "Rock" used to fill in the Grammies, except the RRFOH is all Lifetime Achievement awards, so quite limiting. Screw it all, but at least Yes provided some amusement.

Iron Maiden

King Crimson

Moody Blues

Black Flag

you have to wonder what next 90s era band will go in. have to think that a media/industry darling like Wilco will get on the ballot

Sonic Youth will be on at some point. I'd love to see the Butthole Surfers. Husker Du. don't think any will have a chance tho. maybe now that Pearl Jam will be advocates . . ..

completely thrilled that Eddie Vedder shouted out my Ohio friends Guided by Voices in his speech last night. fuckin awesome. and deserved!
    Last edited by helix; 04-08-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    2trevorsforlife

Jefferson James
    Mike Keneally

I don't think Asia would get in and I can understand why. By that point in time, rock supergroups weren't known for boundary-pushing (compared with the days of Cream and ELP) and so it was with Asia. By 1982 the stadium rock/AOR style they went for had been established for several years.

I don't believe Styx have anyone really pushing for it, compared with bands like Yes, Chicago, Journey etc., where there were big fan campaigns. I am also not sure how their legacy is viewed overall (I think the likes of 'Babe' and 'Mr Roboto' have not helped), nor has there been a 'Don't Stop Believin' moment in recent years. So I don't think they'll get in either.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Every so often they've got to pop in a "young" artist to keep that age demographic interested. I'd bet it's purely economics.
    Iron Maiden have a certain amount of appeal to a younger demographic too. Let's not forget Iron Maiden's debut album predates Metallica's by only three years, so Metallica aren't that young.

It's Green Day that seem to have been relatively fast-tracked and I am not sure why. Again, consider Bowie had to wait a few years, Green Day didn't. In the UK, I would say Bowie is probably considered second only to The Beatles in terms of importance and influence. As you say, I think he's viewed more as a quirky figure in the US-as with prog, certain US rock critics (like Lester Bangs) viewed him with great suspicion.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-20-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Well, an artist has to be in their 25th year, hence young in quotation marks. Truly young people are by definition ineligible.

The Hall of fame was established in 1983, but Hendrix wasn't inducted before 1992...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Again, consider Bowie had to wait a few years, Green Day didn't.
    Yes, but Bowie was just some kind of weird pop/rock/new wave crooner, man.

Green Day -- they are a Punk Rock Band. (cue the heavenly choir)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    Iron Maiden

King Crimson

Moody Blues

Black Flag

you have to wonder what next 90s era band will go in. have to think that a media/industry darling like Wilco will get on the ballot

Sonic Youth will be on at some point. I'd love to see the Butthole Surfers. Husker Du. don't think any will have a chance tho. maybe now that Pearl Jam will be advocates . . ..

completely thrilled that Eddie Vedder shouted out my Ohio friends Guided by Voices in his speech last night. fuckin awesome. and deserved!
    I keep forgetting The Moody Blues aren't in yet. Fuck Journey! Journey! If Journey is in, Asia should be next, and Styx and Supertramp should already be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The Hall of fame was established in 1983, but Hendrix wasn't inducted before 1992...
    An artist only becomes eligible 25 years after their first "major" release. So Hendrix wasn't eligible until 1992, which was the year he, Mitch and Noel were inducted.

What chafes my ass about the whole deal is how some bands have to wait years or even decades after being eligible, while others inducted immediately upon become elligible. Deep Purple in 1993, and Alice Cooper in 1994, Kiss in 1999, but weren't inducted until 2016, 2011, and 2014, respectively.

Yet the first year Nirvana were eligible, they get in immediately.

I won't argue whether Nirvana belong in or not, that's besides the point. They point is, Deep Purple, Coop, and Kiss should have been inducted more than a decade than they were. In particular, Deep Purple should have been inducted before Jon Lord passed away, just so that he could have been around to participate in the honor.

Oh, and I forgot Link Wray, he still hasn't been inducted. I don't care what anyone says, his early singles were important stepping stones in the evolution of rock music. Pete Townshend once thank Link in an interview for inventing the power chord. I'd inducted before I'd induct any of the other bands that I mentioned in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't think Asia would get in and I can understand why. By that point in time, rock supergroups weren't known for boundary-pushing (compared with the days of Cream and ELP) and so it was with Asia. By 1982 the stadium rock/AOR style they went for had been established for several years.

I don't believe Styx have anyone really pushing for it, compared with bands like Yes, Chicago, Journey etc., where there were big fan campaigns. I am also not sure how their legacy is viewed overall (I think the likes of 'Babe' and 'Mr Roboto' have not helped), nor has there been a 'Don't Stop Believin' moment in recent years. So I don't think they'll get in either.
    I don't mean I actually think those bands should be in, just that if Journey is in then, IMO those bands are better and probably at least as successful, and earlier than Journey.

But whatever... Maybe Asia isn't "better." But I like them more!