3. Walk The Walk
    4. Not Forgotten
    5. Hop, Skip And A Thump
    6. Figurine
    7. The Glide
    8. Aeolian Tale
    9. Lantern
    10. The Water Is Wide
    All music by Ralph Towner except tracks #3 Mark Walker; #8 Paolino Dalla Porta; #9 Oregon; #10
    traditional, arranged by Paul McCandless, McCandless - Bocal Music
    All tracks © Distant Hills Music except tracks #3 Fliposphere Music; #8 Tuk Music - Bonsai Music -
    KEPACH Music S.r.l.; #9 Oregon Music; #10 P.D.
    (p) 2017 KEPACH Music S.r.l. Under License by CAM CINE TV MUSIC, Inc.
    Paul McCandless oboe, English horn, soprano saxophone, bass clarinet
    Ralph Towner classical guitar, piano, synthesizer
    Paolino Dalla Porta double bass
    Mark Walker drums, hand percussion, drum synthesizer
    Artistic Production Ermanno Basso
    Recorded and mixing in Ludwigsburg on 28, 29, 30 November 2016 at Bauer Studios
    Recording & mixing engineer Johannes Wohlleben
    Mastered by Danilo Rossi
    Photos © Elisa Caldana
    www.oregonband.com
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 04-07-2017 at 12:20 PM.

If it's new music from Oregon (or Ralph Towner), I'm there. Autobuy.

Brilliant, as ever; hoping to review this, as I have all Oregon albums, released/reissued since 2004, at All About Jazz.

You can read the existing reviews of albums and reissues of older titles since 2004 - plus a live concert review from Montréal as well - here.

I hope to have the Lantern review done in the next couple weeks. As usual, I'll post a link to the review when it's been published...but an advance note: I was concerned how the group would continue without bassist Glen Moore but, while their complexion has changed, it's still absolutely Oregon...which is a big relief for me.

Cheers!
    John
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    If it's new music from Oregon (or Ralph Towner), I'm there. Autobuy.
    As usual, largely new music, most wriittn by Towner, though (as has been their habit in recent years) they also do a new version of "The Glide," first released on Crossing (ECM, 1985) ... co-founder/percussionist Collin Walcott's final album with the group before being tragically killed (along with a member of their touring crew) in a car accident while the group was on tour in Germany.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Brilliant, as ever; hoping to review this, as I have all Oregon albums, released/reissued since 2004, at All About Jazz.

You can read the existing reviews of albums and reissues of older titles since 2004 - plus a live concert review from Montréal as well - here.

I hope to have the Lantern review done in the next couple weeks. As usual, I'll post a link to the review when it's been published...but an advance note: I was concerned how the group would continue without bassist Glen Moore but, while their complexion has changed, it's still absolutely Oregon...which is a big relief for me.

Cheers!
    John
    Agreed. With Moore gone I was mildly concerned. For the most part I figured things would be OK if Towner was still there. Especially if he had a hand in finding Moore's replacement.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I didn't notice John's AAJ review being posted here, so...
    https://www.allaboutjazz.com/lantern...ohn-kelman.php

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Kelman reviewed that one, too: https://www.allaboutjazz.com/lantern...ohn-kelman.php
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Mark Walker on Facebook seems to be indicating that they'll be calling it quits after their current handful of shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Mark Walker on Facebook seems to be indicating that they'll be calling it quits after their current handful of shows.

I follow him on Facebook and I didn't see that. But yes, he posted that to the FB public group "Oregon jazz group" a few weeks ago.

I didn't notice John's AAJ review being posted here, so...
    https://www.allaboutjazz.com/lantern...ohn-kelman.php
    Thanks, Dave...I thought I had posted it somewhere, but I do occasionally forget...

...so, thanks!
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Thanks for sharing my review.

FYI, I actually covered a few Clogs releases, and also reviewed a Montreal show back in 2005. So:

Concert review;
    Reviews of four Clogs releases.

As you'll surmise, if you read those reviews, I was a big fan.
    John Kelman

Just read jkelman's wonderful review of Lantern. I used to listen to Oregon a lot years ago but lost track. Lantern has been ordered. Looking forward to hearing this old musical friend.

Is Towner not playing 12-string on this album? Shame if not - I think that's his greatest asset...

After previously announcing a few months back that they wouldn't be doing any more live work, Mark Walker announced
    Mark Walker
    8 hrs
    A little bit of good news: everyone in the band is in good health, and the band will be accepting concert bookings (depending on the offer, of course). So, we will probably see you soon! #oregonband

BGO will be re-issuing In Performance next month.
    https://www.bgo-records.com/

Just arrived and playing now:
    Oregon - 1974

https://mvdb2b.com/s/Oregon1974/M121...I5oGly6j04hjOM

I need to give that one a listen. By coincidence I'm listening to them today. Playing 1000 Kilometers, and the s/t ECM.

PS: That '74 show is phenomenal! Will have to pick up the CDs.
    Last edited by StarThrower; 08-20-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Just arrived and playing now:
    Oregon - 1974

https://mvdb2b.com/s/Oregon1974/M121...I5oGly6j04hjOM
    it's brilliant, innit? I actually have another pre-fm master radio show they recorded a week earlier in Köln and it's interesting to compare sets, as they rarely followed a regular set, instead, writing set lists being done by each member of the band, round robin style. The only conditions:
    1. Set opens with free improv (I don't think they adopted this 'til later another year or two)
    2. Instruments that must be featured: 12-string and classical guitar, oboe, English horn, tabla and sitar.
    John Kelman

Indeed.
    On at least Ogden Road, I noticed that the instrumentation doesn't seem to match the credits. There are sections where piano, 12-string and bass are heard at the same time, so I'm guessing Walcott is playing guitar when Towner is playing piano. Some of the piano sections sound more advanced than what I'd expect from Walcott, though he's credited with that instrument on this track. Maybe the credits are more complicated than what's printed on the back cover.

I found that same Koln set recently, so we must be hitting some of the same sites.

When I saw this announced my first thought was that it was just a cheap bootleg-ish release, but I read somewhere that Towner and McCandless gave their approval. The liner notes indicate that the band is "currently inactive", sadly. Sometime in the past 2 years or so Walker mentioned on social media that they were trying to plan some live work.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 08-20-2021 at 08:30 PM.

Indeed.
    On at least Ogden Road, I noticed that the instrumentation doesn't seem to match the credits. There are sections where piano, 12-string and bass are heard at the same time, so I'm guessing Walcott is playing guitar when Towner is playing piano. Some of the piano sections sound more advanced than what I'd expect from Walcott, though he's credited with that instrument on this track. Maybe the credits are more complicated than what's printed on the back cover.

I found that same Koln set recently, so we must be hitting some of the same sites.

When I saw this announced my first thought was that it was just a cheap bootleg-ish release, but I read somewhere that Towner and McCandless gave their approval. The liner notes indicate that the band is "currently inactive", sadly. Sometime in the past 2 years or so Walker mentioned on social media that they were trying to plan some live work.
    The credits say that Walcott is playing piano on Ogden Road.

In any event, it's a great release, and I think it stands up as well as any of their live albums.

No, actually I met a guy, quite a few years ago, who used to work at the public radio station. He provided me with a number of pre-FM masters, including some Oregon shows from 1983, 1984 and 1989, plus some show from other artists, largely ECM. I've lost touch with him, sadly.

Unfortunately, Paul McCandless has some form of illness (I cannot recall what) that, amongst other things, causes his hands to shake, so I do not believe he can play anymore. Sadly, this means more music from Oregon is unlikely. While the group could withstand the departure of Glen Moore, I think if it were to lose any more original members I simply wouldn't be Oregon anymore.

Like you, I thought 1974 might be another illegal release of a radio broadcast but, beyond finding out that it's approved by the remaining members in the band from the time, it's clearly not from some guy who recorded the broadcast. This is clearly sourced from the radio's tapes.

As a side note, I was actually in that very studio where it was recorded, in Bremen, about a decade ago, when the annual Jazzahead! jazz trade show (I know, who would believe, but it's huge) used the studio to put on a two-act ECM night. It was a lovely room (big enough for an orchestra, so big enough for a small audience).
    John Kelman

In any event, it's a great release, and I think it stands up as well as any of their live albums.
    Absolutely. Though I've a soft spot for In Performance, because about a third of the album was recorded at a Montreal show I attended, including the opening improv "Buzzbox," which still gives me a shiver every time I hear it.
    John Kelman