Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow, 2 chicks playing Firth

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    That's kind of the point. As long as you remember is a long time and the world has moved on. When I see the term "chicks" I think of Archie comics. It's not even offensive, it's ridiculous.
    Except that the Dixie Chicks reference, as well as everyday experience show that the world hasn't moved on. What's at play is that some people go through life afraid that they might step on someone's toes, so they create imaginary situations to avoid the possibility of doing so.

It's definitely a 60s/70s term, so if you were reading Archie's comics at that time, it's perfectly natural that you would see it in those terms.

Banned

Wow, 2 chicks playing Firth

I like to have 2 chicks play me[emoji15][emoji6]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "Wow, 2 chicks playing Firth"

I'll bet Firth is happy as a clam!
    Oh yeh, pass the X[emoji106]

Well, I think it would be more respectful to these women if we actually talked about their performances. The first video was fairly close to the original musically. Very impressive piano playing. I liked her sultry voice and delivery, if English was her first language it would have come off even better. It was very interesting to hear the modern pop context in the vocals mixed with the Banksian musicality.
    In the 2nd video the performer took many more liberties with everything. Some things worked and others didn't. I didn't care for her voice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think someone can say "chicks" without it being inherently offensive or with any intention to degrade.
    Exactly... and I don't even think the term broads is offensive. Women used words like "cats" to epithet men of their of their generation (probably used more than that, but it's the only one I remember on the moment).

Most likely, Fonzie referred to girls as "chicks" in Happy Days... Not that his televised treatment of women was perfectly politically correct... I mean, maybe Henry Winkler never got laid outside the TV studios.

To the rankled "and ones": "Chicks" has been an innocuous term for women for as long as I can remember. It's not a put-down, insult or any such thing. I can't believe we're even having this discussion. I remember a commercial on TV with the tag line "The chicks are back" which referred to women, and no one batted an eye. And Christopher, if you think "babes" is a put down, you need help. As in psychiatric. Most women would love to be referred to as a "babe."

If enforcing some artificial standard is how you make yourself feel more "enlightened," have at it, but don't expect me to sign on. And if we as a culture are so thin skinned that no nicknames can be used, only "men" and "women," then we are well and truly fucked up. Am I supposed to be butt-hurt if someone refers to me as a "dude?" Sorry, I didn't get the memo, but I'm not a denizen of the cubicle farms anyway.

I used the word "chicks" in a post today to refer to women, and no one said a word. Maybe all the Delicate Flowers have me on ignore, or maybe the fact that it was used in a common way to refer to a common thing was so freaking obvious that not even the Professionally Offended found fault with it. Please. Get a grip, folks.
    Absolutely... all women that have been around in the 60's, 70's and 80's accepted it... AAMOF, it was so common in everyday language and we all (well most of us) got laid despite , despite using words like chicks or broads.

OK, 30 years down the line, PC police ound some stones to grind and turn it into the flour for their bread.

Google is your friend.
    Not mine anyways... wiki, yes, but not google
    I try to live my life at home without google (difficult, because of youtube), but I manage.

It's definitely a 60s/70s term, so if you were reading Archie's comics at that time, it's perfectly natural that you would see it in those terms.
    Yup, not that I was much a fan of Archies, but that was certainly common in there

Let's all remember that Styx's megasuccess of the hit Babe was made by women... 90% of men hated that tune, except when fondling their partner during those slow dances.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Trust me "moe", no one is coming across as a more self righteous, butt hurt delicate flower than your incredibly thin skinned self.
    If you can't deal with a little criticism without frothing into a reactionary frenzy, then you might want to find a safe(r) space.

I hope the irony of older male prog fans deciding on what is offensive or not offensive to women isn't lost on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Exactly... and I don't even think the term broads is offensive. Women used words like "cats" to epithet men of their of their generation (probably used more than that, but it's the only one I remember on the moment).
    That's not exactly the portion of my post that I would want quoted out of context.

I stand by my opinion that "chick" is not inherently offensive, but there are MANY, MANY applications of that word in certain contexts and sentences that would/could be disrespectful, offensive and/or demeaning.

Except that the Dixie Chicks reference, as well as everyday experience show that the world hasn't moved on. What's at play is that some people go through life afraid that they might step on someone's toes, so they create imaginary situations to avoid the possibility of doing so.
    And there is some truth to what you say. There is an extreme PC culture in our society that can tend to take well-meaning intentions too far. Furthermore, the social media/internet age has created a highly sensitive reactionary and self-righteous culture, where people behind the security of their keyboards are quick to shame others, and play judge and jury to an audience that often did not ask for their opinion.

With that all said, words do have meaning and language does evolve. If we strive to become a more respectful and tolerant civil society, we must recognize this and adapt when needed. If that's "groupthink", so be it. You're trying to politicize that term from my perspective.

One only needs to go as far as PE to see how words matter to people. How much bandwidth has been used up debating labels here?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Cozy - I think the Trump (and now O'Reilly) comments/actions have a large role in this too. Washington Women's March, anyone? This issue is now on the front page, and not just swept under the carpet anymore. It goes beyond just a "mere" word (as some here seem to think), and into larger issues such as gender pay gap, sexual harassment, feminism as a whole, equal rights, etc. These are all inextricably linked. Sorry to bring a bit of politics into this but how can one ignore this facet? Did the o/p mean all of this when he posted "chicks"? Probably not, but people need to own up to words they use, because they matter in 2017, like it or not.

^ But Frankie, "chicks" isn't a put-down, it's a colloquialism. It doesn't literally mean "baby chicken." It's a friendly moniker, a term of endearment, whatever. If "chicks" is now supposed to be taboo, can somebody explain which colloquialisms are OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    Trust me "moe", no one is coming across as a more self righteous, butt hurt delicate flower than your incredibly thin skinned self.
    If you can't deal with a little criticism without frothing into a reactionary frenzy, then you might want to find a safe(r) space.
    So you're Rye-Ergot today and not Chichen-Itza? Cool. To be completely honest, I don't care what you personally think.

You can always put me on "ignore." I don't feel like replaying all the drama with you this time.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 04-08-2017 at 10:05 AM.

^ But Frankie, "chicks" isn't a put-down, it's a colloquialism. It doesn't literally mean "baby chicken." It's a friendly moniker, a term of endearment, whatever. If "chicks" is now supposed to be taboo, can somebody explain which colloquialisms are OK?
    I just think people are more aware of certain words at the moment due to the reasons I stated. It's also the political climate and social inequalities we are experiencing, especially here in the states. Whether one sees it as PC or just an olde harmless term we all have used (raises hand), it's a sensitive topic in 2017. Would we be having this conversation in 1985? Probably not. Things change. My wife is cool as shit on most topics in life, but if you called her a chick to her face, she's gonna give you the evil eye, or worse 😀. You can bet your ass she was marching in DC on January 21. And I'm really proud of her for doing it. It's easy to toss words around that could potentially offend others, but it's much harder to use restraint and have some empathy for others.

As for the video, I REALLY enjoyed Flora's version. The accent too is pretty cool. As a matter of fact, hearing this translated and sung in a different language is something I could dig.

Maybe the OP is just getting in touch with his inner Arthur Fonzarelli.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

And there is some truth to what you say. There is an extreme PC culture in our society that can tend to take well-meaning intentions too far. Furthermore, the social media/internet age has created a highly sensitive reactionary and self-righteous culture, where people behind the security of their keyboards are quick to shame others, and play judge and jury to an audience that often did not ask for their opinion.

With that all said, words do have meaning and language does evolve. If we strive to become a more respectful and tolerant civil society, we must recognize this and adapt when needed. If that's "groupthink", so be it. You're trying to politicize that term from my perspective.

One only needs to go as far as PE to see how words matter to people. How much bandwidth has been used up debating labels here?
    I don't want to say much more on this but,..something which I think impacts upon a subject like this is American Corporate Culture. Corporations are all about avoiding liability, and they use things like safety programs and workplace guidelines to do that. These programs aim not only to avoid incidents, but also the possibility of an incident. They are therefore pretty restrictive. Not hard to see an innocuous word like "chick" or "babe" wind up on on the list of verboten words, especially when applied to a work environment. To those who labor in the cubicle farms, it's easy to gradually adopt the view that this is the way things are, society-wide. It's not political correctness, it's just the way things are now. However, it's not the way things are society-wide, it's merely Corporate Culture, and engineered at that. Once out of that environment, especially in rural and small town America, that becomes pretty obvious. Look at how many voters in the last election cited Political Correctness as something they were voting against. Some of those people may have been using that as cover to try and legitimize racist views, but not all, or probably even most of them. There's a whole host of words that could legitimately be labelled as offensive. I don't think "chicks" is one of them.

Jefferson James
    I would be interested if any of the women on PE took offense to the use of the word "chicks" in the context of this thread? 'Cause if you did it's probably that time of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I would be interested if any of the women on PE took offense to the use of the word "chicks" in the context of this thread? 'Cause if you did it's probably that time of the month.
    Perhaps one of these would help with these comments.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lak611; 04-08-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    Laura

under current PC guidelines

I would be interested if any of the women on PE took offense to the use of the word "chicks" in the context of this thread?
    This is perfectly fine

'Cause if you did it's probably that time of the month.
    and this would go down as downright sexist
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Say what??

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    this would go down as downright sexist
    If I said something like that outside of the context of this thread, hells to the ya; within the context of this thread, I found my comment mildly humorous and definitely provocative.

If I said something like that outside of the context of this thread, hells to the ya; within the context of this thread, I found my comment mildly humorous and definitely provocative.
    made me smile anyways...

I hate PC-ness

Jefferson James
    That was the point -- a giggle, a laugh, and perhaps to point out the absolute absurdity this thread has taken over the application of the term "chicks."

What is this place turning into, Christian Mingle?

As for PC-ness, it makes it a lot easier to find things to poke fun of and take the wind out of those who are so easily offended in a country with the First Amendment right of free speech. What's not to get?

Jefferson James
    I've met Donita a few times thru some common friends; she is awesome for many reasons but this is one of my favorites.

I've met Donita a few times thru some common friends; she is awesome for many reasons but this is one of my favorites.
    Yeah, famous story. Hilarious. I also like the one about the "raffle" — one lucky audience member gets (got?) to sleep with Demetra.

I could post the performance of "Pretend We're Dead" where Donita goes full-frontal.

That was the point -- a giggle, a laugh, and perhaps to point out the absolute absurdity this thread has taken over the application of the term "chicks."

What is this place turning into, Christian Mingle?

As for PC-ness, it makes it a lot easier to find things to poke fun of and take the wind out of those who are so easily offended in a country with the First Amendment right of free speech. What's not to get?
    <slow clap>

You taught us all here a lesson today, Kerry. It's days like these I'm thankful you don't gig much so you can spread your wisdom here.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.