Thread: Richard Barbieri on Porcupine Tree, Japan, Jansen Barbieri Karn, and more

Richard Barbieri on Porcupine Tree, Japan, Jansen Barbieri Karn, and more

Hi everyone,

My extensive, new interview with Richard Barbieri is now available on Innerviews. It explores the making of his new album 'Planets + Persona' and also delves into virtually every element of his history, including Japan, Rain Tree Crow, Jansen Barbieri Karn, Porcupine Tree, The Bays, and much more. Richard also offers some very valuable perspectives on the realities of being a professional musician for 40 years.

You can read the interview here: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/richard-barbieri

A fantastic interview with a genuinely interesting musician

Thanks for the great interview!

GREAT interview!

Why can't all interviews be this insightful - an excellent piece of work - thank you

Wonderful stuff. All your pieces are a pleasure, but somehow this one feels a step above. I just loved it. It's great to have that background on P+P too (which anyone reading this thread needs to go buy ASAP if they haven't already).

Thanks for the review. There was also a link to it on the Japan/Sylvian-forum, which "caused" another link on the Mick Karn-forum (the so-called snowball-effect).

Excellent interview - thoroughly enjoyed reading it just now.

Another absolute gem and genuinely true to the title of your series - and I read your interviews since having access to the Web (University 1995)
    Would be nice to have an Edwin Jobson feature if possible

What an incredible interview, so detailed and I've got to track down some albums now that Richard was talking about. I thought it was funny when he said that Mick Karn smoked too much cannibas. And I didn't know that Richard was such a huge fan of Magma and Bitches Brew.
    Thanks for posting this.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

In fact, the interview inspired me to order two Barbieri/Karn CDs at Burning Shed!

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    In fact, the interview inspired me to order two Barbieri/Karn CDs at Burning Shed!

Hopefully they'll release the mentioned 2 Meter Sessies too. I have that on DVD and it features Steven Wilson and Theo Travis.

This is indeed a fine interview with a great artist. Hope you like Richard's new album. Lots of Swedes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    This is indeed a fine interview with a great artist. Hope you like Richard's new album. Lots of Swedes on it.
    Yeah, Isildurs Bane also made it on this one! Good they're back again (and with a new album).

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Yeah, Isildurs Bane also made it on this one! Good they're back again (and with a new album).
    IB never went away. They have been going constantly since 1976, but I see what you mean. They have been off the radar for a while.