Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strawberry Bricks, Revised and Expanded Edition

Strawberry Bricks, Revised and Expanded Edition

My record guide to the progressive era of rock is soon to be back in print. This new edition extends the timeline into the early 80s, as well as presenting a broader selection of albums in an effort to present a “standard discography” of progressive rock. Also, beginning with a database of the birth years of musicians in the timeline, I’m offering that what we now know as “progressive rock” is in fact the music of a generation. The statistics play out: the median birth year for the “progressive artists” is 1947, with a standard deviation of +/- 3 years. I’ve also conducted many interviews with artists from the era, and 16 of these appear in the book. The premise was to study their early lives, from birth through the late 60s and very early 70s, to find the commonalities that these men experienced. The newly written Prologue and Epilogue offer historical perspective on the era, beginning with post-WWII, and even offers a current perspective on progressive rock since the early 80s. The record guide is another narrative on the classic era of progressive rock, one with hopefully a novel and candid outlook on the genre, its albums and the men that made it one of the most interesting chapters in rock’s history.

I’ve also spent a good deal of time fact-checking every detail in the book, including song titles and artist names. This edition has also been professionally edited and peer reviewed, all in an effort to make this as professional and rewarding a book as the music it covers.
    Enjoy!

Reviews of 475 albums from 1967 - 1982
    Exclusive interviews with 16 artists from the era
    Fully edited, proofread and fact-checked
    632 pages
    ISBN: 978-0578189024

BTW, the cover is an image of the record grooves on Jethro Tull’s Minstrel In The Gallery (Chrysalis 1975).

sbbook.jpg
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Here's a collage of the portraits that were drawn for the book by Steve Krakow, aka Plastic Crimewave, a well-known Chicago music historian, psychedelic artist and friend. As a bit of fun, I’m happy to send one (1) free copy of the book to the first person that can name all 16 of the artists, plus the reference for the collage.
    Prog Collage_web.jpg

Great book, I have the first edition. Goes through chronological order month-by-month for each release, which was a nice touch.

My first introduction to Eloy happened after reading the glowing reviews in that book.

Having had the opp to read a few of the interviews in advance, I can safely say that this is going to be a great book! Can't wait to actually have a copy. Well done, Charles.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Good for you! I have the first edition too, and like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Here's a collage of the portraits that were drawn for the book by Steve Krakow, aka Plastic Crimewave, a well-known Chicago music historian, psychedelic artist and friend. As a bit of fun, I’m happy to send one (1) free copy of the book to the first person that can name all 16 of the artists, plus the reference for the collage.
    Prog Collage_web.jpg
    I cannot name all the artists, but the reference or inspiration surely comes from the booklet included with the two LP set of a fairly well-known "Rock Opera" by Andrew Lloyd-Weber,eh?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

"Strawberry Bricks" is a much better title than "Symphonic Rock" (at least according to Jon Anderson! )

Last edited by syncopatico; 04-08-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Congrats! I know this is a true labor of love.

Here's a complete list of all the albums in the book's timeline:

https://www.discogs.com/lists/The-St...ve-Rock/332850

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Here's a complete list of all the albums in the book's timeline:

https://www.discogs.com/lists/The-St...ve-Rock/332850
    I only glanced at the first page. Is it part of the premise of the book that those are all Progressive Rock albums?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I only glanced at the first page. Is it part of the premise of the book that those are all Progressive Rock albums?
    Per se, no. Part of the "progressive era?", yes.

Anyway, one page of records does not a book make. There's a narrative that runs throughout the book, that this post-WWII baby boomer generation of men created what would become known as progressive rock. It is their experience that lead to the diverse music that was released 67-82, the so-called "progressive era" of rock music.

OK, just askin', since the Discogs page said "Guide To Progressive Rock."

Carry on.

So looking forward to this, and I'm honored I got to write a little blurb on the back!

congratulations Charles
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I still have the original poster somewhere.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

When will this be available, and where?

The book is now available to purchase direct from CreateSpace.com, an Amazon company. Shipping rates are very reasonable, especially for territories outside the US. Please use $5 discount code 49XYXHPZ when placing your order.

https://www.createspace.com/6853225

The book will also be distributed via Amazon in the US, UK and Europe shortly. Book stores and other retailers may also order the book at wholesale prices via traditional channels like Ingram and CreateSpace direct using its ISBN: 978-0578189024. For bulk orders, or for signed copies, please contact me directly.

I just ordered.....looking forward to this!

I am looking forward to the new addition. In the meantime, have you seen what the original edition is going for on Amazon? Minimum $74 used and $500 new!

https://www.amazon.com/Strawberry-Br...awberry+bricks

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    I am looking forward to the new addition. In the meantime, have you seen what the original edition is going for on Amazon? Minimum $74 used and $500 new!

https://www.amazon.com/Strawberry-Br...awberry+bricks
    Crazy! But by all means, the new edition is much improved, and at 632 pages quite the tome! it follows the prog axiom of "more is more"!

Received my copy this weekend. WOW! I've only had a chance to browse through it so far but there is *so* much here that's worthwhile. The interviews (the bits that I read) are fascinating and informative; looking forward to reading them all. And the reviews are well written and thought out. I've read many in the first edition but of course there are loads more this time around. Can't wait to put aside some time and really delve into it. Nicely done!

Available now through Amazon US, UK, and EU!

Exclusive interviews includes following artists, regarding their early life and how they began their music careers: Dave Lawson (Web, Samurai, Greenslade), Martin Barre (Jethro Tull), Christian Grumbkow (Hoelderlin), Derek Shulman (Gentle Giant), John Wetton (Mogul Thrash, Family, King Crimson, UK, Asia), David Jackson (Van der Graaf Generator), Pye Hastings (Caravan), Hugh Banton (Van der Graaf Generator), Gigi Venegoni (Arti e Mestieri), Hartwig Biereichel (Novalis), Ciro Perrino (Celeste), Michael Rother (Neu!, Harmonia), Joachim “Eroc” Ehrig (Grobschnitt), Rich Williams (Kansas), Steve Hillage (Khan, Gong), and Lutz “Lüül” Ulbrich (Agitation Free, Ashra).

Here's the late John Wetton's interview, perhaps one of his last...

https://strawberrybricks.com/guide/p...ts/john-wetton

Hey Charles, did anyone actually guess all of those artists? And was I correct, about the JCS inspiration?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Nobody guessed, but you were correct about JCS, so the book is in the mail to you. Hope you enjoy!