Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Record Store Day 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Gotta assume Flippers are greedy folk who buy up high-demand RSD items & then sell em on ebay to the highest bidders.
    Could be/Not sure Don't forget you flip a vinyl over.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I still don't get this. Does each record store have only ONE release? If so, how would you know what they're going to have? And is it only vinyl?
    A few years there were also CD releases (look in their past years >> there was even aGoing Schizoid with KC CD)

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I've been disappointed with Record Store Day the last couple of years.
    TBH, outside a Tangerine Dream single (Ultima Thule) single, I've not really bought something from the hipster manifestation...

You get zillions of speculators showing up that w-e in record store, but you never see them during the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I am not going for the official releases , but you have lots of places with second hand vinyls and Rough Trade makes generally a free mini festival and its like a party day in Paris , especially when the weather is good.
    Sounds like fun, but this RSD is usually held the same w-e as the Prog-Resiste festival in Soignies (Pinhas, Focus, Wrong Object, Gong)

I'll see what I can do on the Saturday (Sunday is much better program)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Well, which things require correction?

1. Larger stores in larger areas don't "get the most stuff" . RSD product is for independent stores only and all product from suppliers is allocated fairly and if there is too much demand, it can lead to point #2. Also a store doesn't "qualify" and get more than one because of that. You either are a registered RSD store or not . If you are, you will get product, if you're not, you don't. Quantities are not affected.
    2. which is that stores often get only one BECAUSE all RSD items are made in a limited run. THAT'S THE POINT.
    3. How can "most stores tell you if you ask" what they will have if "even they don't know exactly what they're getting until the shipment arrives" That doesn't make sense does it?? Stores in fact usually DO know what is coming because the suppliers show already on their lists to the stores WHAT HAS BEEN ALLOCATED TO THEM. We already know 90% of what is
    coming.
    4. All VINYL is non-returnable to record companies, not JUST RSD product.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    1. Larger stores in larger areas don't "get the most stuff" .
    They absolutely do. For example, in the US, Rough Trade and Bull Moose - two of the largest stores - pretty much get whatever they want. Smaller stores with less clout will get less. That's the way it works. Smaller store owners have told me that they soured on RSD precisely because they often were not getting what they wanted.

2. which is that stores often get only one BECAUSE all RSD items are made in a limited run. THAT'S THE POINT.
    I did not say that stores don't get one copy of a particular item. I simply said that I hadn't heard of it, except in the cases of the really small runs (500 or so). And that's the truth - I haven't heard of it, for an album that was printed in quantities of 2000 or 5000. Certainly doesn't mean it hasn't happened, or doesn't happen frequently.

3. How can "most stores tell you if you ask" what they will have if "even they don't know exactly what they're getting until the shipment arrives" That doesn't make sense does it??
    Sure it does. You go to a store the week before RSD and find out what's they'll be having. If you go earlier, like when the list comes out, all you'll know is what they ordered.

Stores in fact usually DO know what is coming because the suppliers show already on their lists to the stores WHAT HAS BEEN ALLOCATED TO THEM. We already know 90% of what is
    coming.
    That's right. But 90% ain't exactly "all," is it?

Not true. Depends on the distributor and store's relationship with the distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    They absolutely do. For example, in the US, Rough Trade and Bull Moose - two of the largest stores - pretty much get whatever they want. Smaller stores with less clout will get less. That's the way it works. Smaller store owners have told me that they soured on RSD precisely because they often were not getting what they wanted.

I did not say that stores don't get one copy of a particular item. I simply said that I hadn't heard of it, except in the cases of the really small runs (500 or so). And that's the truth - I haven't heard of it, for an album that was printed in quantities of 2000 or 5000. Certainly doesn't mean it hasn't happened, or doesn't happen frequently.

Sure it does. You go to a store the week before RSD and find out what's they'll be having. If you go earlier, like when the list comes out, all you'll know is what they ordered.

That's right. But 90% ain't exactly "all," is it?

Not true. Depends on the distributor and store's relationship with the distributor.
    Well, I stand corrected. I guess after 38 years in business and 10 years as a registered RSD participant, I don't know the way it works, but certainly you do! Thanks for the updates smart guy!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Well, I stand corrected. I guess after 38 years in business and 10 years as a registered RSD participant, I don't know the way it works, but certainly you do! Thanks for the updates smart guy!
    No problem. Happy to help.

It's a cliche, but each other day is Record Store Day for me...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I have to agree that larger stores clearly get some sort of benefit or maybe they are just willing to front a lot more money because amoeba around here gets a insane amount of stock (and I am not complaining about that) compared with a smaller store that I also frequent. the small store usually says they ask for a lot more then they end up getting. so if it were equal why does amoeba get bunches of every release but this small store less?

Facelift:

You're wrong.

Vinyl is alwaynon-returnable.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Doesn't it seem like we have Record Store Day every 3 or 4 months? Not that it's a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Doesn't it seem like we have Record Store Day every 3 or 4 months? Not that it's a bad thing.
    Well, it's really twice a year: the official Record Store Day in April, and Black Friday in November.

I came away with just the Frank Zappa 10-inch and the Sun Ra Janus yellow/black vinyl (which actually looks more like swirly brown). The store owner told me he got in three copies of the ELP single, but I didn't see any.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I bought the following:

Sting Live in Paris
    YES 90125 Picture Disc
    U2 Red Hill Mining Town Picture Disc

There were other records that would have bought today but I missed out on.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well, it's really twice a year: the official Record Store Day in April, and Black Friday in November.

I came away with just the Frank Zappa 10-inch and the Sun Ra Janus yellow/black vinyl (which actually looks more like swirly brown). The store owner told me he got in three copies of the ELP single, but I didn't see any.
    I got the ELP 7".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Record Store Day 2017

Picked up the following:

Cygnus
    Smiths- boy with a thorn in his side single
    Floyd- interstellar overdrive
    Peter shilling- major tom picture disc

Pretty much all I wanted this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't participate in RSD. I don't care about getting the rarest of the rare or exclusive items. I just want music I like. As some have asserted, every other day of the year is RSD for me.

I went to my local record store today, but didn't find any of the special releases I'd been wanting. That's okay though, I still walked out with a near-mint copy of Asia's Alpha (the beautiful Roger Dean artwork looks so good full-size like that), as well as Tame Impala's Lonerism, and Foxygen's Hang (green vinyl edition). So it was a win.

I saw a concert by Emmanuelle Parennin in a Paris record shop which re-released for RSD her first record 'Maison Rose' plus an EP with outtakes.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Went to a store not supporting RSD, yesterday. Bought:
    SATURNIA -The real high
    ASTRAL SON -Mind's eye
    MT. MOUNTAIN -Dust
    KRYPTASTHESIE -No age
    all at the price of a single RSD exclusive item...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    was up in Brattleboro VT yesterday and stopped in at Turn It Up! They didn't have the ELP but walked out with Eloy's "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes" ($6) and Neal Morse's two-disc edition of "One' ($10). A good day. Of course I'm in record stores at least twice weekly (TIU and Newbury Comics both here in 'Hamp).

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I don't participate in RSD. I don't care about getting the rarest of the rare or exclusive items. I just want music I like. As some have asserted, every other day of the year is RSD for me.
    I plan to revisit one of the stores I visited yesterday. I never had gone there previously. It's also a coffee shop, and even though I didn't buy any records at that shop, the latte was delicious and the barista was nice. I wouldn't have known about that shop if not for Record Store Day.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I plan to revisit one of the stores I visited yesterday. I never had gone there previously. It's also a coffee shop, and even though I didn't buy any records at that shop, the latte was delicious and the barista was nice. I wouldn't have known about that shop if not for Record Store Day.

Cool. There's a store like that downtown in my city. Mainly a coffee shop, but a local shop called Hippo Records has a space there as well selling records.

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    Cool. There's a store like that downtown in my city. Mainly a coffee shop, but a local shop called Hippo Records has a space there as well selling records.
    The place I visited that's a coffee shop/record store is called Loop.

Laura

failed to get the bowie items but did get a ELP 7". I really like the reproduction of the LP artwork for it. way cheaper than buying one of those snazzy Japanese 7" cd mini LPs (though the Japanese item would have included a little tiny repro poster...).

Sadly (for me) I didn't find the ELP one at my local record store, nor did I find the yellow vinyl of Field Music's Tones of Town. However, I was able to score one of the Field Music copies on Bull Moose today, and I got the Come to the Sunshine WEA compilation on the yellow and orange vinyl too.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Did not find the Hawkwind item BUT got Motorhead's Clean Your Clock, Alice in Chains "Get Born Again" two 7" set and Dark Crystal soundtrack reissue
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    1. Larger stores in larger areas don't "get the most stuff" . RSD product is for independent stores only and all product from suppliers is allocated fairly and if there is too much demand, it can lead to point #2. Also a store doesn't "qualify" and get more than one because of that. You either are a registered RSD store or not . If you are, you will get product, if you're not, you don't. Quantities are not affected.
    3. How can "most stores tell you if you ask" what they will have if "even they don't know exactly what they're getting until the shipment arrives" That doesn't make sense does it?? Stores in fact usually DO know what is coming because the suppliers show already on their lists to the stores WHAT HAS BEEN ALLOCATED TO THEM. We already know 90% of what is
    coming.
    You would think with the closing of Tunes in Northfield that Rock Shop in Mays Landing would have gotten more stuff, but I think the closing led to less stuff because it looks like the area does not have a large customer base...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"