Thread: Steven Wilson signs to Caroline (Universal)

Steven Wilson signs to Caroline (Universal)

So I don't visit my Facebook feed often but just happened to peruse it today and saw this:

We can now officially announce that Steven has signed a worldwide record deal with Caroline International, part of the Universal Music Group, joining a roster that includes Peter Gabriel, Thurston Moore, Iggy Pop, Van Morrison, Glass Animals and Underworld among others.

SW: “I’m absolutely delighted to be entering into partnership with Michael Roe and his team at Caroline for my next album. Although Caroline exist within the Universal Music Group, their philosophy allows me to remain creatively independent, while at the same time providing the “muscle” that being with a major organisation brings. This makes it a perfect home for me, and I’m happy to now be label mates with some of the most respected musicians in the industry.”

Michael Roe, Joint Managing Director of Caroline International: “I’ve been a fan of Steven’s recorded and production work for many years. He’s an incredible talent with a big and dedicated fanbase but someone who has not received the wider recognition I think he deserves. I’m thrilled he’s chosen Caroline as a home.”

The follow up to 2015’s Hand. Cannot. Erase. will be released later this year, more news coming soon.
    There's a lot of wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth in the Facebook comments, but I'm not surprised at all. In recent interviews SW's been pretty open that his one frustration is not being able to reach the numbers of people he'd like, plus putting his music on Spotify signals that he's being realistic about how today's music distribution channels work.

It's a one album deal, so it'll be interesting if he continues down a more commercial path as some have speculated. I also wonder if he's letting Caroline license his back catalog which means reissues could be coming. There's even a chance this could lead to PTree reissues I suppose.

Anyways, I say congrats Steven. Hope. This. Works.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    There's even a chance this could lead to PTree reissues I suppose.
    Why do we need those?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

If it brings SW's music to a wider audience then its a good thing although I had never heard of Caroline records.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    If it brings SW's music to a wider audience then its a good thing although I had never heard of Caroline records.
    Caroline has been around for ages. For a while Steve Hackett was being distributed through them (at least in the US) back in the 80s. I was surprised to hear they still exist, to be perfectly honest.

Here's some info...

Beginning as a European mid-price offshoot of Virgin from 1973 to 1976, Caroline Records was reborn in 1983 as a U.S. distributor and (in 1986) pseudo-indie label operated by Virgin/EMI until 2011. In 2013 the brand was relaunched by Universal Music via the Capitol Music Group.
    What's funny to me about all the hand-wringing that Steven has somehow sold out is that people seem to be forgetting that Porcupine Tree went the major label route back when In Absentia was released on Lava (Atlantic) and then later with Roadrunner (WMG). So this isn't exactly a new move for him.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Ironically its because PT signed to Lava/Atlantic that In Absentia and Deadwing are now unavailable. They are locked in legal limbo because of some kind of record industry competition ruling - no one can release them 'cos no one knows who owns them!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Ironically its because PT signed to Lava/Atlantic that In Absentia and Deadwing are now unavailable. They are locked in legal limbo because of some kind of record industry competition ruling - no one can release them 'cos no one knows who owns them!
    That is odd because both are avalaible through the Spotify.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/